LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

2007 LS-460 Wheel Bearing??

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-10, 06:40 PM
flyman767@
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2007 LS-460 Wheel Bearing??

Hello everyone!! Recently purchased a LS-460(CPO).The vehicle has 36,000 miles logged. I've had a few issues in the first few months:

1) Whinning noise coming from the rt front wheel assembly..front rt bearing worn.
2) Replaced homelink system..would not program.
3) Glovebox had to be replaced due to not closing properly(adjustment not possible)
4) Plastic coating on all 4 locking lugnuts was chipping and rusting. I'm not trying to be a troll here..however, just not what I expected from Lexus. I really enjoy driving the vehicle..I'm just not sure I want to own it outside of a warranty. Thoughts?? Has anyone else had similar complaints? I'm hoping these are just a few bugs that needed to be worked out..Thanks in advance..Ray

Last edited by flyman767@; 06-24-10 at 07:02 PM.
Old 06-24-10, 07:38 PM
Nospinzone

Received 406 Likes on 314 Posts

I've heard of the glove box problem, but none of the others. One problem with a used car is you don't always know how well, or poorly, it was treated by its previous owner(s). Especially for cars that come off lease, some people treat it like a rental. It sounds like yours may have taken some abuse. Fortunately its a CPO so at least you're covered.
Old 06-24-10, 09:01 PM
flyman767@
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Nospinzone
I've heard of the glove box problem, but none of the others. One problem with a used car is you don't always know how well, or poorly, it was treated by its previous owner(s). Especially for cars that come off lease, some people treat it like a rental. It sounds like yours may have taken some abuse. Fortunately its a CPO so at least you're covered.
Nospinzone,

Thanks for the reply. I feel the same way about buying a used car. You never know what type of abuse the vehicle has been subject too. However, I did have the dealer pull the service records prior to purchasing and all the normal required servicing was done. No major issues.

I have a co-worker who races in motocross, and when I mentioned the wheel bearing at 36K..his first thought was Chinese bearing. Eventually, like all other inferior products from China, they don't hold up well in racing. I like to think Lexus wouldn't use Chinese bearing on the LS, but then again who knows..it's something the average consumer will never see...Ray
Old 06-24-10, 10:52 PM
link13
Lead Lap

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by flyman767@
Hello everyone!! Recently purchased a LS-460(CPO).The vehicle has 36,000 miles logged. I've had a few issues in the first few months:

1) Whinning noise coming from the rt front wheel assembly..front rt bearing worn.
2) Replaced homelink system..would not program.
3) Glovebox had to be replaced due to not closing properly(adjustment not possible)
4) Plastic coating on all 4 locking lugnuts was chipping and rusting. I'm not trying to be a troll here..however, just not what I expected from Lexus. I really enjoy driving the vehicle..I'm just not sure I want to own it outside of a warranty. Thoughts?? Has anyone else had similar complaints? I'm hoping these are just a few bugs that needed to be worked out..Thanks in advance..Ray
Hi. Are you a 767 pilot?

I suspect the sound from the right front is not the wheel bearing. I have a '94 GS300 with 179K miles and the wheel bearings have never been replaced. Then again, it is not an OH car.

Don't know about the homelink system, but it may have been damaged by the previous owner. If they replaced it and it works, good.

Glovebox replaced? Good. That's why you bought a CPO. They fix it. It's not really possible to determine whether that lies on Lexus or the previous owner.

Plastic coating on locking lugnuts in harsh climates is probably going to be comprimised even if it's on a BMW or a Benz.
Old 06-24-10, 11:35 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

wow, that's indeed quite some problems. i have to say it looks more problematic then a lot of other ls460 i have seen. i hope dealerships are taking care of everything under warranty?
Old 06-25-10, 03:06 AM
flyman767@
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by link13
Hi. Are you a 767 pilot?

I suspect the sound from the right front is not the wheel bearing. I have a '94 GS300 with 179K miles and the wheel bearings have never been replaced. Then again, it is not an OH car.

Don't know about the home link system, but it may have been damaged by the previous owner. If they replaced it and it works, good.

Glovebox replaced? Good. That's why you bought a CPO. They fix it. It's not really possible to determine whether that lies on Lexus or the previous owner.

Plastic coating on locking lug nuts in harsh climates is probably going to be comprimised even if it's on a BMW or a Benz.
Hi link13,

Yes..I am a 767 pilot.

Unfortunately, it was a rt front bearing. The entire wheel assembly was replaced by the dealership last week. I've had Toyota's with 200K+..never replaced a wheel bearing. So, at 36K..I was somewhat stunned.

Thankfully, all the above items were covered under warranty. The service has been great!!

However, the reason I bought a Lexus was because of their reputation for quality and reliability.The glove box, plastic wheel locknuts($76K vehicle), defective homelink are items I may have expected, had I bought an American car, just not a Lexus.

Having said all that..I really do love the vehicle. So I'm hoping these are just a few bugs that need to be worked out before the warranty expires..Ray
Old 06-25-10, 03:11 AM
flyman767@
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by rominl
wow, that's indeed quite some problems. i have to say it looks more problematic then a lot of other ls460 i have seen. i hope dealerships are taking care of everything under warranty?
rominl,

Thats good to hear that these are rare problems for an LS-460. Hopefully, this will be all the issues going forward...Ray
Old 06-25-10, 08:51 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

another thing, did you try alignment and make sure everything is right? i am still a bit surprised about the bearing problem
Old 06-25-10, 09:18 AM
link13
Lead Lap

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

Hi link13,

Yes..I am a 767 pilot.

Unfortunately, it was a rt front bearing. The entire wheel assembly was replaced by the dealership last week. I've had Toyota's with 200K+..never replaced a wheel bearing. So, at 36K..I was somewhat stunned.

Thankfully, all the above items were covered under warranty. The service has been great!!

However, the reason I bought a Lexus was because of their reputation for quality and reliability.The glove box, plastic wheel locknuts($76K vehicle), defective homelink are items I may have expected, had I bought an American car, just not a Lexus.

Having said all that..I really do love the vehicle. So I'm hoping these are just a few bugs that need to be worked out before the warranty expires..Ray
Hi flyman767. That's a cool profession! I flew on a 767-300 on the way back from Germany last year and enjoyed it. Great IFE and the power on takeoff was quite impressive.

I'm sorry you've had all these issues. I hope you're through it now and that the car is trouble free from now on. I am looking to buy an LS460 next year.
Old 06-25-10, 10:55 AM
Craig B

Received 53 Likes on 37 Posts

I had to have my homelink replaced on my LS 460 when it was new for the same type of problem. The dealer even offered to send someone over here to program it for me. It wasn't me, it was the homelink that wasn't working...
Old 06-25-10, 12:51 PM
flyman767@
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Craig B
I had to have my home-link replaced on my LS 460 when it was new for the same type of problem. The dealer even offered to send someone over here to program it for me. It wasn't me, it was the home-link that wasn't working...
Yep..I tried several times to program, every tech in the shop tried, they sent a mobile unit to the house and they were unsuccessful. They eventually had to replace the head unit.

Last edited by flyman767@; 06-25-10 at 01:05 PM.
Old 06-25-10, 01:02 PM
flyman767@
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by rominl
another thing, did you try alignment and make sure everything is right? i am still a bit surprised about the bearing problem

I don't think so..no indications of an alignment issues (uneven tire wear, pulling, etc..)

However, possible previous owner had an alignment issue and had it repaired. This in turn, I guess; hypothetically, could have worn down the bearing. The dealer did pull the maintenance records and there was no history of such repair. I guess the repair could have been done outside of a Lexus repair faculity..I'll never know..Ray
Old 06-25-10, 04:12 PM
Nospinzone

Received 406 Likes on 314 Posts

I mentioned the wheel bearing at 36K..his first thought was Chinese bearing. Eventually, like all other inferior products from China, they don't hold up well in racing. I like to think Lexus wouldn't use Chinese bearing on the LS, but then again who knows..it's something the average consumer will never see...Ray

Actually Ray, I've read this this also a problem with replacement airplane parts.
Old 06-25-10, 06:50 PM
flyman767@
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Nospinzone
I mentioned the wheel bearing at 36K..his first thought was Chinese bearing. Eventually, like all other inferior products from China, they don't hold up well in racing. I like to think Lexus wouldn't use Chinese bearing on the LS, but then again who knows..it's something the average consumer will never see...Ray

Actually Ray, I've read this this also a problem with replacement airplane parts.
LOL..I think they have a prototype commercial jet..If my company's buys them..I think I'll retire early.
Old 06-25-10, 06:53 PM
Thermactor
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi link13,

Yes..I am a 767 pilot.
DL based in CVG? Slim pickens for a 76 outta there these days.

Quick Reply: 2007 LS-460 Wheel Bearing??