LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Mark Levinson vs. LS460 stock audio system

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-10, 02:33 PM
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mark Levinson vs. LS460 stock audio system

How much a sound quality difference between Mark Levinson and the LS460 stock audio? I listen to music mostly while driving as there's too much distraction at home to just sit down and listen to music, so a wonderful car audio is nice thing to have, and it makes traffic jams more bearable. Is ML worth the extra $$ over the stock. There're 19 speakers in ML, where are they placed thru out the cabin? Does it have a noise canceling function? How about after market upgrade?
Old 06-18-10, 05:08 PM
jarm
Pit Crew

Let me tell you how it is. If you have not purchased a LS 460 yet -please get the ML system. It is well worth the extra for this system. I purchased a LS without the ML system. I thought I would just upgrade the premium sound. But I have found out that it will cost somewhere in the $4K range to upgrade this system. Change out the speakers, add an amp. for the speaker and one for the sub woofer, sub woofer, and custom amp enclosure for the trunk. Now I have been told that the aftermarket system totally blows away the ML system. I suspect that is true from the people that have upgraded their LS 460. But I have a problem when selling the car that the upgraded system with not be worth anything unless you remove it. But it is much easier to just buy the LS with the ML system already in it and not have to deal with the upgrade. AND YES it does make a big difference in the sound from the factory premium and the ML system. Just sit in each and you will know.

jarm
Old 06-18-10, 05:36 PM
LexFather

+1, the ML system in the LS is simply one of the best audio systems in any car.
Old 06-18-10, 08:24 PM
miniz
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Unless you are planning on spending the big bucks on a nice aftermarket system, then do yourself a favor and get the ML. The stock system leaves a lot to be desired.
Old 06-18-10, 09:20 PM
cmasten
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

the stock is just an average sound system in one of the quietest vehicles on the road. It lends itself to a great sound system. The ML is very good, if you are not into higher end audio gear than it will more than suffice and is worth the upgrade.

I didnt find it worked for my tastes, but we each have our own preferences. I picked mine up with the standard system and then put in 3k more to build it out that way I wanted it with Focal components and JL. I could not be happier, but then it was a lot of patience and tuning to get it just right.

If you dont normally upgrade your audio systems and have a background in doing so, then yes the ML would be the way to go, it is a very good sounding upgrade.
Old 06-20-10, 08:33 AM
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the advise, you made my decision easier. I haven't bought the car yet, I am still searching as I still have 6 weeks left on my lease, I'll definitely add ML to my must have list.
Old 06-20-10, 09:10 AM
Johnny
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

There's a demo on this page: Mark Levinson Reference System

Although the ML system is hailed as arguably the best available system anywhere, it wasn't for me. I had it in my 460 & 600, and it spent most of the time off, as I valued the serenity of the cars' quietness more than the audio features. My wife used it more than I did, but when she was in the car, the rule was, "ML off before noon, low volume after that". So, she could really only blast it when I was not in the car, and I would only personally listen to it only when the car was stationary.

I avoided ML when I purchased my new RX...
Old 06-20-10, 11:04 AM
ikeb
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you play only CDs/DVD's in your car then the ML is excellent. But, if you play AM or FM or Satellite or ipod music then ML is a waste of money because these sources are only mediocre.
Old 06-22-10, 05:19 PM
MikeE12345
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ikeb
If you play only CDs/DVD's in your car then the ML is excellent. But, if you play AM or FM or Satellite or ipod music then ML is a waste of money because these sources are only mediocre.
I guess I am misinformed. I thought that FM was very much better than AM or satellite quality and, in fact, approaches that of CD quality. Also, mp3 quality depends on the bit rate etc. under which it was created. If you use the best mp3 quality when ripping a CD it will produce close to original quality. Am I wrong?
Old 06-22-10, 07:02 PM
Tee

Received 67 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeE12345
I guess I am misinformed. I thought that FM was very much better than AM or satellite quality and, in fact, approaches that of CD quality. Also, mp3 quality depends on the bit rate etc. under which it was created. If you use the best mp3 quality when ripping a CD it will produce close to original quality. Am I wrong?
No you are not.
Old 06-23-10, 09:59 AM
ikeb
Driver

FM is not close to cd quality. Like i said - cd's are good (if you use best quality mp3 or aac). its on a CD!!! Thus digital.

i stand by my statements - am sucks, fm sucks, satellite sucks, ipod/iphone music sucks. CD/DVDs are good.

am - analog
fm - analog
fm HD - digital but at lower bit rate
ipod/iphone - analog
satellite - digital but at a low bit rate

cd's digital at original bit rate
dvd's digital at original bit rate

cd's with 192mp3 (or above) or 192 (or above) aac - digital and good sounding.

Buying an ML system is a total waste of money unless you use digital (CD's/DVD's)

Originally Posted by MikeE12345
Old 06-25-10, 04:34 PM
Nospinzone

Received 407 Likes on 315 Posts

I believe there are also other advntages to the ML system, like being able to rip CD's to the HD. I've never experienced a non-ML system, but I think the differences are substantial.
Old 06-25-10, 04:45 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by Nospinzone
I believe there are also other advntages to the ML system, like being able to rip CD's to the HD. I've never experienced a non-ML system, but I think the differences are substantial.
i listened to both, big big difference in sound quality (at least to me0
Old 07-16-10, 10:01 AM
redlight30
Driver

Why is it that you have to turn the ML system up to about 30 on the volume before it really sounds nice or even loud enough to really hear? does anyone else notice this or am I just deaf after all the loud music over the years?
Old 07-16-10, 10:13 AM
jmcraney

Received 254 Likes on 194 Posts

Is the "30" volume thing required when you are sitting still, or moving, or both?

Quick Reply: Mark Levinson vs. LS460 stock audio system