LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Mark Levinson vs. LS460 stock audio system

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-11, 06:27 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 231 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
believe me, ml system in the gs is no match to the reference system in the ls460.
Agreed. I also have a GX470 with ML and it is not even close to the LS ML system.
Old 05-20-11, 05:26 PM
Shibumi1
Lexus Champion

Received 84 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by vancouverl
will this be of any benefit for ml installed setup ?

not really bcuz the ML is a 19ch system.. MS8 takes up to 8ch inputs..(highs,mids,subs etc) an creates 5.1 or 7.1 by itself.. no needs to upgrade speakers (unless blown or your car has no sub...) no need for extra amps... but u can add amps & swap speakers too..its an all in 1 solution for cars where u cant change the factory h/u & want high fidelity sound..

read the reviews.. its an amazing piece.. it even rta's (real time analysis) the cars interior for audio flaws,dead spots, gaps in freq response and corrects them...

(fyi jbl "IS" infinity) theyre both owned by Harmon Intl.. so its def top notch!!!!
Old 05-20-11, 11:02 PM
AZ IS350
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

2IS guy chiming in here (wish I had an LS with ML) regarding the MS-8. I posted my experiences with it in this post and elsewhere in that thread.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/6315241-post6.html

I'd caution anyone to fully investigate before you try it, as it has known sampling rate issues with Lexus OEM NAV units (ML & non-ML), confirmed by JBL.

FWIW, I've heard the LS ML system and honestly the MS-8 is not going to be an improvement, or at least be worth the hassle, assuming you can even get it to work. My only crtitique of the ML system is that the low midbass response is a little muddy & boomy, which is pretty common for all OEM systems really. The imaging, stage depth, and dynamic clarity are all top-notch. I've heard the MS-8 in other cars and while it is able to recreate all of these imaging characteristics -the MS-8 is also frequently knocked for having poor midbass response. It seems like it would be a wash at best, minus some money out of your pocket.

I have not heard the non-ML system in the LS, but again, I'd doubt the MS-8 would be worth the hassle, in my opinion.

Last edited by AZ IS350; 05-20-11 at 11:07 PM.
Old 05-21-11, 05:28 AM
Shibumi1
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by AZ IS350
2IS guy chiming in here (wish I had an LS with ML) regarding the MS-8. I posted my experiences with it in this post and elsewhere in that thread.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/6315241-post6.html

I'd caution anyone to fully investigate before you try it, as it has known sampling rate issues with Lexus OEM NAV units (ML & non-ML), confirmed by JBL.

FWIW, I've heard the LS ML system and honestly the MS-8 is not going to be an improvement, or at least be worth the hassle, assuming you can even get it to work. My only crtitique of the ML system is that the low midbass response is a little muddy & boomy, which is pretty common for all OEM systems really. The imaging, stage depth, and dynamic clarity are all top-notch. I've heard the MS-8 in other cars and while it is able to recreate all of these imaging characteristics -the MS-8 is also frequently knocked for having poor midbass response. It seems like it would be a wash at best, minus some money out of your pocket.

I have not heard the non-ML system in the LS, but again, I'd doubt the MS-8 would be worth the hassle, in my opinion.
true we haven put 1 in a lexus "yet". its scheduled in 2 weeks.. but we've put em in merc's, bmw's, infinity's,acura's,mini coopers... etc an the list is long.. never had any of those issues.. maybe it was an install issue.. the ms8 is a high end piece not usually recommened to be installed on your own.. u should have it professionally installed by a shop trained to use this unit....

as i said i have an ls w ML.. an its not goona sound better than that..i am gonna upgrade my ml but its the nature of who i am.. to do so.. an it'll take no less than 4 amps 3 processors 7 passive crossovers.. an months of work.. the long short is non-ml or ml...

BUY ML-
Old 05-27-11, 09:18 AM
justintm99
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by samgabecas
Bought a new LS 460 two weeks ago and am enjoying the car. However, the one thing I am disappointed in is the sound system. The one in my former car, a Mercedes, was far superior. For an expensive luxury car like the LS, I would have thought they would have had a decent sound system. If I had a chance to do it over again, I would have gotten the ML system. Are there any inexpensive ways to improve the sound quality???
I know there are people who swear by the ML. Personally I wouldn't sweat it if you don't have. I bought into the hype and only considered the ML so have no idea how the stock sounds. In hindsight the ML wouldn't have mattered since I plan on keeping the car for a while and will have to redo the sound system anyway. The ML extra channels add complication. You should be able to find a good shop to put in a better system for less. I might start with the MS8 as suggested elsewhere here. I need to do more research into the MS8 to see if it's an alternative to the 360.

For people who are not aware, in the LS460 they actually bounce the sound off the windshield before getting to your ears! Not even an off-axis listening issue. This may be the toughest problem to resolve. I haven't experienced such diffusion since the Bose 901's in the early '70's. This drives me crazy. Having said that, I am super critical so I suspect this applies only to me, most would probably be happy with the ML. If you are I envy you.
Old 05-27-11, 09:49 AM
Silverpaws
Intermediate

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by justintm99
most would probably be happy with the ML.
I am one of the happy ones with my ML.
Old 05-27-11, 04:17 PM
Shibumi1
Lexus Champion

ML is the best possible starting point i've seen from an oem manufacturer.. many have tried using oem boston acoustics,rockford,an many others.. but as far as imaging an soundstage.. u cant get any better!..
Now as far as on axis reponse..the speakers would need to be in the dash aimed directly at the driver..(compression horns are the only thing that comes even close) to hear a noticeable.. doors offer some off axis response but none can truly sound proper due to different heights of varying drivers.. an they almost always attempt to direct the tweets towards the listeners then the mids an midbass (if any midbass) are usually focused towards the center of the vehicle..(not the listener!!!)

long story short... if u can buy the ML
Old 05-27-11, 06:49 PM
Helmar
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm ashamed to say that I mostly listen to talk radio and audio books with my ML system!

HBH
Old 05-28-11, 09:38 AM
DrComputer
Pole Position

Now that XM and Sirius have merged all of their stations and compressed the hell out of every channel I can barely stand to listen to it on my ML system. A great system like the ML can make great sources like DVDs sound even better and horrible sources like XM sound as bad as they actually are.
Old 08-13-11, 08:04 PM
GammaLex
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I have the JBL ms-8 installed in my sc430 with all top of the line diamond audio speakers look in my threads and hands down the SQ in my ls is better. The sc goes alot louder and the bass is way louder but thats only good when the tops down. You cant beat 19 speakers. Mark Levinson also is owned by Harmon intl like JBL and Infinity

Last edited by GammaLex; 08-25-11 at 08:25 AM.
Old 08-13-11, 08:40 PM
Brian@Vossen
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The ML in the LS is amazing, IMO.
Old 08-15-11, 05:04 PM
Mikey100
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Amazing ML system .......

The ML system IS amazing.

It sets new "standards."

But the great thing about our marque is that the standard
"Premium Sound System" in our LS460's ...... If you must accept that system (The non-ML) while getting all of the other options you want (body color, extra's, etc) ...... The standard Premium is still VERY VERY nice sounding and nothing to hide over.

All of us LS460 owners should feel very grateful.

Best Wishes to all, Mikey

Old 08-16-11, 04:02 PM
larrygust
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Member
Thanks for the advise, you made my decision easier. I haven't bought the car yet, I am still searching as I still have 6 weeks left on my lease, I'll definitely add ML to my must have list.
There is one other thing you might want to consider. That the Air Suspension on the 460L model. If you haven't driven one with this feature, I would recommend that you do before you buy. After I drove the 460L, I bought that model instead.
Old 08-20-11, 01:25 PM
MikeE12345
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Air suspension is available standard for the LS460 AWD as well - at least on the 2011.
Old 08-23-11, 09:35 PM
ghostpilot
Driver School Candidate

Don't get the Jbl-ms8 if your not going to upgrade your speakers. I have the ms8 installed on my 07 LS. I replace the dash speaker with focal KRS 100. The stock speakers and tweeter was cut out and mounted on the bottom plate. When I took the car home, it sounded like *****. I had to adjust the settings to make it sound good, but it took hours because you have to start from the beginning each time you change speaker setting. You have to use the setup disc and each time you do that, it erase all the speaker setting you have. Im using a JL audio HD 600/4 but I'm going to replace it with a HD900 so I can have it power my dash, door speakers and sub in the trunk. I haven't replace the door speakers yet, But I did have it ordered. Just have to wait a bit on special order. Going to replace the 6x9 with focal KRX2 mid range speaker. I'll try to post some pics when its all done. If I could do it over again, I would have just buy the KRX3 3-way and focal Fps 4.160 to power it. No ms8, just using the amps build in high level converter. IMOA, The ML is the best OEM sound system I've listen to.

Last edited by ghostpilot; 08-24-11 at 08:28 PM.

Quick Reply: Mark Levinson vs. LS460 stock audio system