LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Just wondering what everyone thinks of the new Jaguars?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-10, 02:53 PM
zeebra
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for not flambasting me for daring to suggest I like another car besides my LS - I agree with all of your posts, especially about the Jag interior, which looks really really nice and it looks like they are offering quite a range of color combinations as well.
I am getting real excited about the addition of a new choice to my next luxury car buy (without getting into maserati, aston, bentley territory). So far the only ones I expect to consider for my next car is another LS - maybe a 600h next time, an A8 or S8, or now an XJ or XF, or a CLS550 which I still really like the looks of...

So far the XF has been getting great scores for reliability and customer satisfaction, but this data is still real early of course... looks promising tho!
Also I love their offering of a supercharged version of their cars, which raises their XJ pricing from LS territory to a bit closer to 100k. I'll bet the supercharger is worth every penny!!

To be fair: I still really love my LS460 and I dont see re-quipping car wise for another year or 2, but boy this XJ makes me want to start looking earlier than later!

Take Care All, thanks for letting me share:
Z
Old 06-17-10, 02:59 PM
Nospinzone

Received 407 Likes on 315 Posts

Originally Posted by WhitBaby
I've always thought of Jags kinda like Harleys. Nice lines and nice paint, but heard they weren't all that reliable. Do they still use Lucas (Prince of Darkness) electrics?
Also on a cross country trip and needing parts/service I think I'd have better luck finding a Lexus or Toyota dealer than a Jag dealer.

Whit
WhitBaby, the century turned over 10 years ago, come join us!

Jaguar quality improved markedly once Ford took them over. Harley quality improved markedly after principal managers bought the company from AMF.

Both my wife's Jag and my Harley have been as defect free as my LS460!

As for Lucas, some of my favorites-

If Lucas made guns, wars would not start either.

During the 1970's, Lucas diversified its product line and began manufacturing vacuum cleaners. It was the only product Lucas ever offered which didn't suck.

"I've had a Lucas pacemaker for years and have never experienced any prob...
Old 06-17-10, 05:12 PM
bsl888
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Like the style but dislike the black C-pillars. Only when the car is black will the XJ look good. The C-pillars just look disjointed. Of course that's the point of the design, to set the XJ apart from other more conservative flag ship models, from other companies.

Ultimately, it's a nice car to look at, but for someone else to own. Question reliability and depreciation.
Old 06-17-10, 05:39 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Always liked Jaguars and love the new direction. The cars still have that pouncing cat appearance but now look totally modern. Very cool stuff.
Old 06-17-10, 06:44 PM
Johnny
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

It would be even nicer if that pouncing cat was returned as a hood ornament.
Old 06-17-10, 07:16 PM
CEOEngr
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by usermel
The above comment is funny because it shws how much things have changed. In the USA in particular we see it but, the change is worldwide! WOW, Jaguar owned by an Indian company, I had no idea until seeing this thread. WOW! L.G.N.M
They also own RangerRover/LandRover.
Old 06-17-10, 09:40 PM
amcdonal86
Pole Position

At first, I thought the new XJ was absolutely hideous. But it is growing on me!

The XF I love, but the one thing I don't like too much about it is the headlights. Both of them are fully modern(-looking) luxury cars (unlike their predecessors), but they still seem to retain that Jaguar character.

Jaguars are all about muscle, subtlety, and a sort of "restrained elegance". There are only a handful of brands that have more romantic mystique than Jaguar.
Old 06-17-10, 09:52 PM
Nospinzone

Received 407 Likes on 315 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnny
It would be even nicer if that pouncing cat was returned as a hood ornament.
Actually you can still get it (the "leaper") as an option. Apparently many countries have banned hood ornaments due to injuries to pedestrians so that's why it was discontinued as standard.

I agree with you, the leaper makes the Jag. Hey, if pedestrians can't get out of the way, they deserve to be speared!
Old 06-17-10, 10:32 PM
Johnny
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

I was just going to say, "Isn't that the real intent of that damned cat?" Ouch!
Old 06-18-10, 06:43 AM
Patric
Pole Position

I just on-line priced their LWB with the 520HP motor and most all of the options and it totaled up to $113,000.

I would have to see and drive one to determine any bang for the buck at that price.
Old 06-18-10, 07:59 AM
amcdonal86
Pole Position

How much is a fully loaded LS460L? I guess it's not apples to apples because the LS460 isn't available with a high performance engine...
Old 06-18-10, 03:03 PM
lexusnutt
Intermediate

Received 36 Likes on 22 Posts

Am I the only one who doesn't like it?

It looks like it's been "Frankensteined".
Old 06-18-10, 03:11 PM
WhitBaby
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Nospinzone
WhitBaby, the century turned over 10 years ago, come join us!

Jaguar quality improved markedly once Ford took them over. Harley quality improved markedly after principal managers bought the company from AMF.

Both my wife's Jag and my Harley have been as defect free as my LS460!
Yeah, you're right. The Gnarleys improved a lot with the Evo. I guess my biggest complaint is all the owner-induced damn noise!

Must go with the attitude and how they all dress alike to show their rugged individualism.

Whit

Last edited by LexFather; 06-18-10 at 07:22 PM.
Old 06-18-10, 03:17 PM
miniz
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

If the build quality, reliability and depreciation is as bad as the previous XJ, then its a big no-no. If the new XF is any indication, then were are in for more reliability nightmares and outdated electronics. The previous XJ was a $70k car built to $20k standards. It was outdated the minute is rolled off the production line! The material quality was poor, the design odd, and the reliability terrible. It depreciated like a rock falling off a cliff, as nobody dared to own one out of warranty so they dumped them onto the market as a very predictable 2-3 years old.
Old 06-18-10, 11:04 PM
j three
Lexus Test Driver

I like this car, but although growing on me I don't love the Exterior just yet. With that being said I saw two pre-production XJ's at the LA international auto show and let me tell you that interior knocked my socks off! I'm not usually a black interior guy but with all the piano wood and chrome accents it looked just as rich or richer than anything this side of Maybach. In it's class nothing can touch it interior wise. I have yet to sit inside one though since they kept them locked at the show, I want to see how it feels. The last generation felt cheap to me in certain places, for example the side of the front seats feels like vinyl and not leather. Overall this new one is a slick and modern looking ride.

Quick Reply: Just wondering what everyone thinks of the new Jaguars?