LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Michelin PS2 & New Lowering Springs for my LS 460

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-10, 04:48 AM
uae
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Michelin PS2 & New Lowering Springs for my LS 460

My first experience with 22's was

Tire Size for all 4 brands i went with is
F: 255/30/22
R: 295/25/22

Michelin rotation tires

They were good but due to the long distances i travel they started making some noise. While the car was parked I turned the steering C.Clockwise to check the tire condition coz the noise was comming from the front right tire.
I used my hand to run over the tire. A good explanation of what i saw is stairs. Its like a gradient drop being eated by the brakes i hit from one side more than the other causing the tire to rotate in a slope and due to that noise occurs.

In my case my front rims are 9.5 and rear i think 10, swapping the tires X wont click. Neither if i swap the front right with the front left and same for the rear. Coz the tire is designed with a pattern to rotate in 1 direction.

I decided to try something else which was the worse experiment.

Nitto

After 30K I ran over a piece of metal which let me take the exit to check the car. The sound was comming from the rear left.
Every one rotation there is a ticking sound something like SSh Sssh.
So i decided to take the car to the tire shop for the tire to be inspected.
Results were as follows:

Luckily my rim wasnt bent although the distance from when the problem occured to the shop was about 40K.
Changed All 4 to Nitto again but a different brand can't recall.

Nitto Again

After 40K the TMPS highlited the tire pressure which dropped from 260 PSI to 190 to 60 to 20..I stopped immedietly put on the Stock spare. and drove to the tire shop and had the same tire replaced. 2 weeks later the same issue occured for another tire, took it to the shop and it was like i hit something sharp on the edge. Imagine using a knife and walk it through the tire edge for 1ft. Tire was replaced. The same issue happed after 1 week again for another tire and was replaced again !!! Now for that last tire replaced it lasted 5 days only !! I was keeping my eyes on the TPMS while driving and noted a change in the 5th reading from 250 -> 290 and sometimes 300 and then back to 250! I took the tire to be inspected and there were no signs of anything. The tire shop called The Nitto representitive inorder to see if the tire is to be replaced for free. So the Nitto R. Arrived and asked the guys to remove the tire from the rim. We saw an internal defect. Its like somone used a knife and walk it from inside the tire. So after some discussion here and there the tire was replaced for free. A week later i started feeling a very strong vibration i decided to replace all 4 tires and this time Michelin PS2.

Michelin PS2

After i installed the tires i was very happy since ive been hearing about PS2 but never had them on. Vibration was fully gone. Second i started listening to the rear tires touching the inner cover OUCH. Same Size as previous and touching. Hmmmmmm, So i had no other solution except to remove the tanabe springs and use other brand of springs. I used CLS springs.Now the car is much more perfect and the springs are very hard and wont play up and down on any hump or whatsoever. Its like driving an LS 460 with original Springs and much more better.i was really satisfied with the lowering except for the front it was lowered more than the rear:

So i had to take the car again for the front springs to be replaced and the final look:

Now the car rides perfect , feels perfect , more stability and more WEIGHT.

Previously with Tanabe & Michilen Rotation Tires:
Old 06-09-10, 11:51 AM
redline624
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CLS Springs?

Originally Posted by uae
My first experience with 22's was

Tire Size for all 4 brands i went with is
F: 255/30/22
R: 295/25/22

Michelin rotation tires

They were good but due to the long distances i travel they started making some noise. While the car was parked I turned the steering C.Clockwise to check the tire condition coz the noise was comming from the front right tire.
I used my hand to run over the tire. A good explanation of what i saw is stairs. Its like a gradient drop being eated by the brakes i hit from one side more than the other causing the tire to rotate in a slope and due to that noise occurs.

In my case my front rims are 9.5 and rear i think 10, swapping the tires X wont click. Neither if i swap the front right with the front left and same for the rear. Coz the tire is designed with a pattern to rotate in 1 direction.

I decided to try something else which was the worse experiment.

Nitto

After 30K I ran over a piece of metal which let me take the exit to check the car. The sound was comming from the rear left.
Every one rotation there is a ticking sound something like SSh Sssh.
So i decided to take the car to the tire shop for the tire to be inspected.
Results were as follows:

Luckily my rim wasnt bent although the distance from when the problem occured to the shop was about 40K.
Changed All 4 to Nitto again but a different brand can't recall.

Nitto Again

After 40K the TMPS highlited the tire pressure which dropped from 260 PSI to 190 to 60 to 20..I stopped immedietly put on the Stock spare. and drove to the tire shop and had the same tire replaced. 2 weeks later the same issue occured for another tire, took it to the shop and it was like i hit something sharp on the edge. Imagine using a knife and walk it through the tire edge for 1ft. Tire was replaced. The same issue happed after 1 week again for another tire and was replaced again !!! Now for that last tire replaced it lasted 5 days only !! I was keeping my eyes on the TPMS while driving and noted a change in the 5th reading from 250 -> 290 and sometimes 300 and then back to 250! I took the tire to be inspected and there were no signs of anything. The tire shop called The Nitto representitive inorder to see if the tire is to be replaced for free. So the Nitto R. Arrived and asked the guys to remove the tire from the rim. We saw an internal defect. Its like somone used a knife and walk it from inside the tire. So after some discussion here and there the tire was replaced for free. A week later i started feeling a very strong vibration i decided to replace all 4 tires and this time Michelin PS2.

Michelin PS2

After i installed the tires i was very happy since ive been hearing about PS2 but never had them on. Vibration was fully gone. Second i started listening to the rear tires touching the inner cover OUCH. Same Size as previous and touching. Hmmmmmm, So i had no other solution except to remove the tanabe springs and use other brand of springs. I used CLS springs.Now the car is much more perfect and the springs are very hard and wont play up and down on any hump or whatsoever. Its like driving an LS 460 with original Springs and much more better.i was really satisfied with the lowering except for the front it was lowered more than the rear:

So i had to take the car again for the front springs to be replaced and the final look:

Now the car rides perfect , feels perfect , more stability and more WEIGHT.

Previously with Tanabe & Michilen Rotation Tires:
Who has these springs, CLS?; never heard of them. how much does it lower in the front and rear, COST, Spring Rate?

Thank you in Advance!
Old 06-09-10, 11:58 AM
uae
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by redline624
Who has these springs, CLS?; never heard of them. how much does it lower in the front and rear, COST, Spring Rate?

Thank you in Advance!
Sorry my mistake let me rephrase what i said...

Mercedes Benz CLS Springs:

I really dont know what the springs name are, Its a springs shop with zillions of springs hanged all over. New & Used. For the front the springs were first high then they were cut using a fire machine inorder to lower it.I didnt get into the details so much, Doesnt have to be Mercedes Benz CLS springs but a professional guy will know exactly what springs to pick and how much lowering they need to go.

Last edited by uae; 06-09-10 at 10:37 PM.
Old 06-09-10, 07:13 PM
cmc5dc
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, I would like to know as well since I was planning on getting Tanabe springs, any chance of finding out, your receipt should have the name on it?
Old 06-10-10, 05:35 PM
uae
Lexus Test Driver

sorry for the delay will find out by saturday. The springs shop is closed on friday will call on saturday and hope he knows. I remember asking him the first time what spring are these he said mercedes CLS. I didnt bother asking about the model and the manufacturer as long as they fit on my car. Rear Fit 100% but for the front he took springs from the shelf put them on the car and the front was very very high. So he used the fire machine to trim the spring to ensure same lowering level for rear and front.
Old 06-10-10, 08:44 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

He cut a coil off or heated it to set it at a different height?
Old 06-11-10, 06:01 AM
uae
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by RA40
He cut a coil off or heated it to set it at a different height?
Cut it off using a fire machine....