LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Whats the best luxury sedan under $100k for 60 years old mom?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-10, 11:17 AM
m500
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whats the best luxury sedan under $100k for 60 years old mom?

I was ask to pick out a car for my 60 years old mom. She currently drive a BMW 528i in New York. She wanted a Porsche Panamera but that was scratched since she need something that seats 5. I ask here because I believe people who drove Lexus are people who think and research before they make the right purchase in getting what they wanted for the money including myself..

My question is what is the best car in the list below best suited for New York driving condition and can carry 2 set of golf bag for her age group, thanks for all you help in advance (No turbo):

1. BMW 5 GT Series
2. BMW 7 series
3. Mercedes S class
4. Mercedes E class
5. Mercedes GLK
6. Infiniti FX
7. Infiniti M
8. Lexus G
9. Lexus LS
10. Porsche Cayenne

Last edited by m500; 05-05-10 at 11:53 AM.
Old 05-05-10, 11:41 AM
MannyRCF
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by m500
I was ask to pick out a car for my 60 years old mom. She currently drive a BMW 528i in New York. She wanted a Porsche Panamera but that was scratched since she need something that seats 5. I ask here because I believe people who drove Lexus are people who think and research before they make the right purchase in getting what they wanted for the money including myself..

My question is what are the best car in the list below best suited for New York driving condition and can carry 2 set of golf bag for her age group, thanks for all you help in advance (No turbo):

1. BMW 5 GT Series
2. BMW 7 series
3. Mercedes S class
4. Mercedes E class
5. Mercedes GLK
6. Infiniti FX
7. Infiniti M
8. Lexus G
9. Lexus LS
10. Porsche Cayenne

1.Lexus LS
2.Porsche Cayenne S or Turbo
3.Mercedes S
4.BMW 7
5.Mercedes E
6.BMW 5 GT Series
7.Lexus G
8.Infiniti FX 50
9.Infiniti M
10.Mercedes GLK
Old 05-05-10, 11:59 AM
Johnny
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

The LS might be a little bit too big for her.

It's a lot harder to park than a 528.

She won't like that, guaranteed!

The GS would be a wiser choice...
Old 05-05-10, 01:17 PM
stanatl
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by m500

My question is what is the best car in the list below best suited for New York driving condition and can carry 2 set of golf bag for her age group, thanks for all you help in advance (No turbo):

1. BMW 5 GT Series
2. BMW 7 series
3. Mercedes S class
4. Mercedes E class
5. Mercedes GLK
6. Infiniti FX
7. Infiniti M
8. Lexus G
9. Lexus LS
10. Porsche Cayenne
If she wants to drive a sedan, I'd suggest she look at the E class. It's a good size and drives/handles very nicely. It's the first year of the new design but the engines/suspension didn't change. The 350 is more affordable but the 550 has a great engine and a lot of bells and whistles. I had the E550 on order before I went to the LS Sport but had to cancel it because MB Financial would not approve a corporate lease without a personal guarantee.

If she wants an SUV, I would go with the Porsche Cayenne. I drove one that my friend has and it is a very nice vehicle.
Old 05-05-10, 01:31 PM
Nospinzone

Received 407 Likes on 315 Posts

I agree with Burnaby, the LS is too big, as are the S, GLK, FX, Bimmer 7 and Cayenne.

When you say NY, I don't know if you mean the city, upstate or LI. For the city and LI, your best choice is the Infiniti M37, for upstate its the M37x (awd).

Plenty of room. easy to maneuver and park, good gas mileage, and excellent reliability. Stay away from any Mercedes, at her age she doesn't need the aggravation.
Old 05-05-10, 04:30 PM
miniz
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The list is too far all over the board. She needs to narrow what she is looking for, an SUV, CUV, sedan, coupe.....what? Can she handle a long wheelbase car? I assume she is not street parking if she has a $100k budget, so maybe an LS460 would be great for her.
Old 05-05-10, 05:42 PM
(Cj)
Lexus Test Driver

The M37 is about the same size as the SWB (non-L) LS460, and it's more comfy adn luxurious.

She should get a loaded LS460 and save a bit of coin. The LS has optional AWD as well...
Old 05-05-10, 07:53 PM
stever500
Rookie

I think the best car for her is the one she likes the most. I can't see how we could possibly pick a car for her, given the very little information you have offered. Has she driven all these cars? I'm guessing not. Which one is she leaning towards? She might be a big car person or a medium size car person. The 528i is a great car. I personally find the 550iGT to be an awful looking car/SAV, whatever they're calling it. The 550i though, is sweet. The brand new 750i F01 is very nice, too and of course comes in all wheel drive if she wants it.

I will say though that I saw a new MB E350 today in a dark, sparkling green that totally rocked. Beautiful car with a beautiful lady driving it.
Old 05-05-10, 08:33 PM
Xwakeboard
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Nospinzone
I agree with Burnaby, the LS is too big, as are the S, GLK, FX, Bimmer 7 and Cayenne.
I don't know if the OP really means the GLK or if he means the GL. The GLK is the Mercedes suv that is based on the C-Class platform and therefore is actually quite small. If your talking big, then perhaps the OP means the GL (either 450, or 550).

I had the previous generation Infiniti FX and if I may make a suggestion, don't get the new one, it's just plain ugly.
Old 05-05-10, 10:14 PM
JFNash
Lead Lap

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I would give the Jaguar XJ a serious look.

The car is a piece of beauty.

I wouldn't suggest the LS46 as the 8-speed transmission may be a bit annoying in a place like NYC (though am not sure if you meant NY the city or the state). But a I guess every one is different in terms of driving habits & preferences.

In any case, give the Jaguar a look. It might be the one.
Old 05-06-10, 07:03 AM
m500
Rookie

She can handle a 740iL just fine. Her original choice are 740i and 535GT. I'm trying to figure out what's best for her, since she stated no turbo and V6 is her prefer choice. Both new 740i and 535i/GT are twin turbo, so they are pretty much out of the picture for now. Personally I'm thinking E350 is her only choice, since she stated X5 is too tall for her to climb up and I doubt Cayenne will be any lower then x5. Cayenne is on the list because she always wanted to drive a Porsche. After speaking with her that she will only stick with 3 brand of car for this purchase. I love infiniti myself but I guess people in her ages will not recognized a Japanese brand as luxury car maker. So, the manufacturer list just got narrow down to 3:
1. BMW
2. Mercedes
3. Porsche
Old 05-06-10, 10:45 AM
ikeb
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My opinion is:

Tell her to get the Lexus GS450H - perfect size (not too long), good price and handles perfectly.

Problem with MB and BMW is their ratings with JD Powers (not good). Jag same thing.

Last edited by ikeb; 05-06-10 at 10:48 AM.
Old 05-06-10, 12:43 PM
LexFather

Used certified LS 600h L
Old 05-06-10, 01:15 PM
m500
Rookie

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Used certified LS 600h L
I would get a certified car to be smart. At least I think I am but mama never buy used.
Old 05-06-10, 01:32 PM
Johnny
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

I was just talking with an ex-MB mechanic yesterday. He recounted his worst experience of a brand new S600 whose car was towed in with less than 100 kilometres on the odo. The car's transmission completely failed two days after he drove it off the lot, and required a replacement. I said, "Oh well, that's probably an anomaly that can happen to any brand.", to which he replied, "Unfortunately, problems of that nature are sadly more frequent than not, and while I was with them, I witnessed way too many incidents of all types, but owners are so brainwashed with the 3-pointed star that all this is swept under the carpet." He works with Toyota now, and in spite of their image taking a beating recently, owners seldom suffer this type of ownership nightmare.

Take it for what it's worth. I still think MB & BMW are excellent brands, but behind the shine, there are a lot of things the public at large never hear about.

Quick Reply: Whats the best luxury sedan under $100k for 60 years old mom?