LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

yes or no on these wheels and 19 or 20

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-16, 12:40 PM
Dr. Jekyll
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by roadfrog
Yes I have. In fact I just purchased a set of four 18 inch wheels for my son's Subaru. Got them in 4 days and free shipping too. I do most of my shopping on Ebay now. Never been screwed over and always a great experience. I've even bought a 1500 dollar generator several years back. I probably shop Ebay once per week......everything from brakes, shocks, radiators, water pumps, etc.
Wow that's great and reassuring feedback! I do everything on Amazon and have been hesitant with eBay for high dollar items.
Old 01-28-16, 01:46 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,521 Likes on 1,819 Posts

Originally Posted by roadfrog
I
For those that commented on keeping the wheels stock, I'm of the mindset that, aftermarket wheels make the car "mine". It sets it apart visually from any other LS that is out there. The fancy shoes that set you apart from any other guy in a nice suit.
To use the same metaphor, sometimes a nice classy suit is ruined by a pair of shoes that aren't matched to the style of the suit...
Old 01-28-16, 01:51 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
To use the same metaphor, sometimes a nice classy suit is ruined by a pair of shoes that aren't matched to the style of the suit...
Very true. Which is in keeping with my earlier sentence stating that some do not like my wheels (or red calipers). But either way, it still sets you apart from those with same suit AND the same shoes.
Old 01-28-16, 03:50 PM
Rhambler
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I would get OEM 19, but frankly I don't like the silver or chrome finishes. That's all I see on Ebay, Detroit tire and wheel, et. al. I wish they offered a different finish, similar to the dark silver I'm running now. I really enjoy that look.

I'm hesitant of getting a custom finish without upsizing x2. I think any really dark-painted or bronze might look weird without having those extra large wheels. Man, this is painstaking for me.

I did find a wheel that is interesting from two perspectives:

1. It is drilled to order and still relatively cheap, meaning the wheels will come with the proper hub bore and I learned Lexus has tiny hub bores. This negates the need for plastic rings and potential vibration. The only drill to order rims I've seen are fully forged costing $1k-$2k each. Even the flow-form comes with 70 mm bores I think.

2. It's offered in "hyper black," or a darker silver.

https://www.1010tires.com/Wheels/Bra...85-12KG-35C601

What do you think about these Braelins? I never heard of them, but the drill-to-order and finish are both nice and it doesn't look half bad.
Old 01-28-16, 07:22 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

The factory 19s come in the same hyper silver your wheels are now. Its exactly the same paint color. Compare them to the wheel in my signature picture which is the same wheel you have.

Old 01-29-16, 04:42 AM
Rhambler
Lexus Test Driver

Well they may offer them, but that doesn't say anything about what is actually being offered in the secondary market. I haven't seen any for sale anywhere. Everything I've seen is silver or chrome.

Getting any wheels from Lexus is a $1000+ proposition, cast or forged and at that amount, I would rather buy aftermarket forged. Yeah, the cast wheels are $1100 a piece.

I think I'm getting more comfortable with 20s. I can always shove back on my 18s if things get uncomfortable and since ride quality is so subjective, I really won't know until I just try it out for myself.

The sidewall shrinks from 4.63 to 3.86 inches for 40 series of the proper or equivalent diameter, a reduction of 0.77 inches from 50 series 18 in tires. I think things start to really get stiff at 35 and lower. I mean it has to at that ratio.
Old 01-29-16, 06:32 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

The OEM color is the hyper silver. When you look at them on the secondary market you're just not seeing the color for what it is because they're taken under bright lights and on white backgrounds, Etc. They're all the darker color.

A 40 series tire is pretty thin...

It's an expensive car, I wouldn't put a set of cheap TireRack type wheels on it.
Old 01-29-16, 07:46 AM
Rhambler
Lexus Test Driver

Well, I can't find them. The ones I saw were just painted silver or chrome.

In any case, I agree with cheap rims, although $2k each for HRE forged is too pricey for me. $1100 for brand new OEM is equally ridiculous.

At this point I'm leaning towards those BBS forged. Costs less than brand new OEMs and half the price of HRE forged.

I'm sure everyone is hoping I would just shut up and buy them already!

The only reason I'm so hesitant when it comes to wheels is because of the disaster in buying wheels for BMW 5 series a long time ago. Talk about buyer's remorse after getting those over-priced hunks of junk.
Old 01-29-16, 09:15 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Out of stock here but they have them:

http://www.oemwheelsrims.com/product...eels/oew074284

Disclaimer:

Please Note: The image provided is for identification only. The finish as displayed may not be the actual finish. Please refer to the finish and condition listed in the description for exact specification and details of this product.
Color Hypersilver Full Face Painted
Out of stock here too, but $261 per wheel:

http://www.wheelsandcaps.com/p-51888...9x8-74284.aspx

Reconditioned OEM - Medium Smoked Hypersilver Full Face Painted
Here they are in stock at $399:

http://midwestwheelandtire.com/oem/p...lloy-wheel-rim

FINISH Hypersilver
Old 01-29-16, 10:41 AM
Dr. Jekyll
Lexus Champion

Good looking out Steve, thanks for posting up, appreciate your research!
Old 01-29-16, 12:53 PM
Rhambler
Lexus Test Driver

Well, my ordeal is all but over! I decided! I'm getting those BBS forged, 20x8.5 all around. I chose not to stagger simply because the P7 won't fit on the 20x9.5 in a 275 width. Yeah I know, I'm crazy, but I want those tires lol.

Thank you everyone for the help!

David Martin at wheel enhancement has been really helpful as well. They are one of the few authorized HRE and BBS dealers in California. Great guy and highly recommend if you need wheels. He gave me a great deal too.

http://www.wheelenhancement.com/

Here are pictures he took of the wheels and one from BBS' website I found of our car with them, although the color of the wheels on the car are plain silver and not the darker one.

Thoughts?
Old 01-29-16, 01:19 PM
Dr. Jekyll
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Shambler
Well, my ordeal is all but over! I decided! I'm getting those BBS forged, 20x8.5 all around. I chose not to stagger simply because the P7 won't fit on the 20x9.5 in a 275 width. Yeah I know, I'm crazy, but I want those tires lol.

Thank you everyone for the help!

David Martin at wheel enhancement has been really helpful as well. They are one of the few authorized HRE and BBS dealers in California. Great guy and highly recommend if you need wheels. He gave me a great deal too.

http://www.wheelenhancement.com/

Here are pictures he took of the wheels and one from BBS' website I found of our car with them, although the color of the wheels on the car are plain silver and not the darker one.

Thoughts?
That silver looks good to me! And good choice with the 20"!

Last edited by Dr. Jekyll; 01-29-16 at 01:23 PM.
Old 01-29-16, 01:35 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Good! Glad you decided. Smart move on the P7 too.

I'll be interested to see pictures on the car and your thoughts about how she rides.
Old 01-29-16, 01:48 PM
Rhambler
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks Steve! Really appreciate yours and everyone else's help.

David just mentioned they weigh 24 pounds each! Does anyone know what the weight of our 18 inch alloys? Also, center caps can't be replaced. But no big deal, I like that dark BBS.

I'll definitely post pictures and can't wait to rid myself of these crappy HX MXM4 Michelin tires. Worst Michelins known to man in my opinion. Love those Pirelli P7 plus.

By the way, if you need wheels, talk to David Martin at http://www.wheelenhancement.com/ 310-836-8908. This guy is really knowledgeable, very helpful and very patient, lol.

Last edited by Rhambler; 01-29-16 at 01:53 PM.
Old 01-29-16, 03:14 PM
Rhambler
Lexus Test Driver

Here's a website that allows you to compare tire-size specs. It helped me.

https://tiresize.com/comparison/

There's even a visualizer so you can see the differences.

Quick Reply: yes or no on these wheels and 19 or 20