LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Considering selling my 01 BMW 740i & 96 911 C4S for 07 LS460. This is a hard one...

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-10, 09:18 PM
stever500
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Considering selling my 01 BMW 740i & 96 911 C4S for 07 LS460. This is a hard one...

Great forum you have here. I bought my last 2 cars based on the excellence of the cars AND the forums too, for community help.

Here's my dilemma. I have owned my 96 911 C4S for 7 years. I love this car and am really attached to it but it's been averaging about $2500 to $3k a yr for maintenance. I put about 4K miles a yr on it.

My 01 BMW 740i Sport I've had for 5 years (though it's my 3rd E38 BMW 740i) I'm also very attached to it but it averages about the same $'s per yr. I took a huge pay cut in pay last April (I'm earning less than 1/2 of what I used to) a year ago and I'm getting pressure from my better half to sell both older German cars and get one reliable Japanese car instead. This thought turns my stomach, but I see her point in theory.

She has a 2007 Acura RL and she suggested just getting one of these. They're around $26k for a 2007 like hers with around 40k miles. I'm not in love with her car's looks but it's SO reliable compared to my older cars. I like the looks, just not loving the looks. And, it's kind of boring to buy the same car as hers so that's pretty much out.

I looked at the other Japanese cars. The 07 M45 or M35 isn't my cup of tea at all. Does nothing for me even though they drive nicely with good power. Not into any other Infinity's either so that's out. The new M56 is kind of interesting but way too much money.

I looked at all the Lexuses and the GS's trunk and back seat is too small for me. Not loving the looks that much either. If I have to give up my two luxury cars, I want something killer as a replacement. The LS 460 really turned my head when it first came out. I drove one and liked it a lot. My BMW and Porsche friends said that they're really disconnected from the road compared to what I have now, and that I'd be bored of it after a while.

I'm not so sure... It would be nice to own a car that doesn't need to be fixed a lot. I do like the looks of the 07 LS enough to buy one. I looked at and drove the 07 BMW 750i's and while they're great cars, I worry about what they'll cost out of warranty. Then there's the BMW 07 550i, a great performing vehicle with 360 HP without the Bangle rear end issue, but going from a 7 to a 5... I'm not sure I'd be happy with that. I've already had 3 5 series and like the larger, more luxurious 7. And, they both could cost A LOT once warranty expires. The regular MB S550 is nice too with a HUGE back seat but it's not really my style. I'd love to own a preowned silver MB S63 though but they're still too much dough. And, it's a bit too showy for my lifestyle.

My smart wife said that in 5 years I'll have spent potentially $25k in maintenance for the two cars I have now ($5k per yr X 5 years). I'm guessing the LS would be more like $1k per yr instead, with a warranty. That's hard to justify with the little money I'm bringing in now. I'm looking for a new sales position (I'm 49) but the market is very tight right now in the Maryland area where I live. Been with the same company for 22 years (a cable TV company) and have been the top salesperson each year for the 22 years. Eventually I'm sure I'll find something but she's getting nervous about each repair that crops up (a lot of repairs this year after a low dollar repair year last year).

So... where am I going with this? Why am I posting this drivel here? I guess I'm considering selling these 2 babies of mine and getting a Silver/Blk (the only combo I'd get) 07 (the only year I can afford!) LS 460 and putting on these wheels from the later model car (not totally loving the standard 07 wheels that much and they look like a PITA to clean):

This is one of the hardest decisions of my adult car life! One of the good things is I wouldn't have to park a car out on the street anymore. We only have a 2 car garage so the BMW sits out on the street 24/7.

The Lexus would go in the garage with her Acura, both snug as a bug in a rug. I figure I could get around $29-30k for the 911 and $8-10k for my BMW yielding about ~$38 total. With that amount I can afford a $34k LS with money left over for a warranty, tax and tags, I hope. And, the 08-09 5 spoke wheels. Where do I get these wheels for cheap? I checked with the stealer and they want $700 a wheel. I didn't even see any for sale on the bay.

It would simplify our lives having just 2 cars. I like the looks of the LS but I don't love the looks. I'm sure I'd adjust and grow to really like the car - I hope. I spend a lot of time on the BMW and Porsche web forums. I'd miss that culture very much. I'd miss the "Meet and Drives" we have, the friends I've made. In a nutshell, this would be hard, very hard. Club Lexus LS forum would be a good substitute though. It's very adult (even though some of you guys are pretty young) and the information I've gotten from you folks is invaluable. I've read through many pages of information. Good stuff.

I think I need to spend more time in the LS. Wish I could rent one for a weekend. Driving one for 20 minutes with a salesperson isn't nearly enough for me to make an educated decision. Maybe I should look into a short term rental because this is a big move. My buddy just got an 08 LS 460 for $45k, with 22k miles, perfect condition, in silver and blk with these nice wheels shown above and it's exactly what I'd want.

He told me if I get one not to get an 07 due to the potential wind noise problems with them. Yes, I have researched the "fix" here a bit. I'm guessing that if it's under warranty, and I'd try to get an extended warr too, that eventually the dealer could fix this issue anyway, right?

My other friend that I rarely see anymore just bought an 07 silver/blk too, but he got the "L" with the executive package in the rear with all options for $40k, 21k miles. I'm more of a short wheelbase guy. We have (1) 16 year old on the weekends - stepdaugher, no other kids. Mostly I'd drive the car by myself.

I just can't think of any other car that would make me happy that's a Japanese car. I even thought Prius for a while. I love that car but can't imagine it being my only car. Just the thought that it gets 52 mpg in the city though... that's so cool. Both of my neighbors have one, in fact, the one neighbor has 2 - one for each of them. Checked out the Honda Insight - another cool hybrid but it's way too small in the rear. The Camry and Accord are totally boring to me.

The LS has it all. Should I? Could I? Would you, if you were me? I know, only I can decide this one. I kind of don't want to and I kind of do want to.

Thanks for letting me try to figure this out on your wonderful public forum. If you have any comments or thoughts, feel free to post them here. If I do get the car, it's nice to know I have you all as a huge resource like my other web boards have been.

Sincerely,
Steve R

Last edited by stever500; 04-23-10 at 04:40 PM.
Old 04-22-10, 09:38 PM
Johnny
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

I'm going to keep it short and sweet; nice cars btw... The LS would be a great choice, however if you experience snow conditions like the ones shown above, I would give serious consideration to the LS AWD. The RWD Lexus struggles and is poor in the snow on All Season tires, so if you were to go that route, then a good set of snow tires all around, with three 100 lb sand bags in the trunk might just cut it. Other than that, the 460 is an opulent vehicle which will bring years of low maintenance costs.
Old 04-22-10, 09:52 PM
stever500
Rookie

Thanks for the quick reply. Yeah, we rarely get 3 feet of snow, till this winter. My 2 cars don't go anywhere in the snow either so not having an AWD isn't a problem for me. At least we have one AWD (her Acura RL) if we really need to get out. Actually, the 911 is AWD but I never take it out in the snow. It doesn't have snow tires on it. If I can drive my rear drive BMW in a little snow (obviously not 2-3 feet of the stuff), I'm sure I can drive the LS in it too...

This was a tough winter... yeah, it would have been nice to have an AWD BMW

Here's half way dug out. The LS wouldn't have to ever sit out in the snow.

If the AWD Lexus LS were around $35k now, I'd certainly consider it instead but they're way too expensive so far... If I get the LS, it would sit here:
Old 04-22-10, 10:21 PM
amcdonal86
Pole Position

Replace an air-cooled 911 with any Lexus? I don't think so....
Old 04-23-10, 12:15 AM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

These are indeed different types of cars, the LS 460 Sport just came out, otherwise I'd recommend finding that car...but it'll only be available used a few years down the road. Burnaby makes a valid point on the AWD...as for the wind noise issue on the 07s, if the dealer doesn't do jmcraney's fix, that has had good results for most who did it.

The 460 itself is much more of a relaxed drive, not the 460 L Touring or 460 Sport for that matter. Luxury and quiet is its forte, and the 460 is easier to get with the larger trunk space, for 2007 the 460 Ls often had the 4-zone A/C etc. which ate up more trunk space than later models (unit was redesigned smaller).

In the end though one must look at one's heart, and decide what feels best; if you love what you drive that much, or think you can fall in love with another car...hope you can make a good decision that works out well for you!
Old 04-23-10, 01:00 PM
stever500
Rookie

I will take all your comments to heart and think long and hard about this. I'll have to have my wife drive the LS with me soon.
Old 04-23-10, 02:54 PM
IStoSC
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Taking everything you said into consideration it makes sense to get the LS at least in terms of the maintenance and consolidate your needs into one car...but in terms of your wants it would be great if you could hide the p-car for a few years because it seems that you really maintained it very well and spent a lot of time babying it...the 993 is a beautiful vehicle and I'm happy that the 997 went back to this look...
Old 04-24-10, 11:01 AM
stever500
Rookie

Originally Posted by IStoSC
Taking everything you said into consideration it makes sense to get the LS at least in terms of the maintenance and consolidate your needs into one car...but in terms of your wants it would be great if you could hide the p-car for a few years because it seems that you really maintained it very well and spent a lot of time babying it...the 993 is a beautiful vehicle and I'm happy that the 997 went back to this look...
I wish I could sell just the BMW and get the Lexus, but unfortunately that's not possible. The bulk of the money for the LS would come from the 911 sale. And yes, I'm glad Porsche got rid of the 996 car with those odd shaped headlights and went back to the round headlights in the 997 to differentiate them more from the Boxster. Still not totally a fan of the newer 997's though. I prefer the rawness of an air cooled, screaming 993 instead. I'm definitely old school in that regard. Plus, I'm not a fan of the rear end of the 997's.

vs 2006

Old 04-24-10, 11:43 AM
HSVRX350
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree I used to have 995 Cabriolet when lived in Fort Lauderdale. Loved to hear them valves screaming. It just not the same platform now adays. The 996 interior was sub par and I didn't want it.

I actually traded in for 355 spyder for two years. Them valves screamed also down at Homestead and Sebring race tracks. Those were my bachelor days.

Now I am a comfort creature to protect my herniated disc. Those Formula Mazda days are long gone.
Old 04-24-10, 06:30 PM
Thermactor
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well...
you would probably regret getting rid of the Porsche.
Old 04-24-10, 09:03 PM
joedaddy1
Racer

Received 177 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by Thermactor
Well...
you would probably regret getting rid of the Porsche.
agreed...

is there a reason why you need a big back seat?
do you have kids? clients?

if not.. why not go with a smaller vehicle as a daily driver.. i like your porsche..
Old 04-24-10, 09:25 PM
amcdonal86
Pole Position

Originally Posted by stever500
I wish I could sell just the BMW and get the Lexus, but unfortunately that's not possible. The bulk of the money for the LS would come from the 911 sale. And yes, I'm glad Porsche got rid of the 996 car with those odd shaped headlights and went back to the round headlights in the 997 to differentiate them more from the Boxster. Still not totally a fan of the newer 997's though. I prefer the rawness of an air cooled, screaming 993 instead. I'm definitely old school in that regard. Plus, I'm not a fan of the rear end of the 997's.

vs 2006

Sounds like you love to drive.

I don't have an LS460, but my LS400 is truly a bore to drive. (It's a great car, though.) From what I've read, the LS460 doesn't have much in the excitement department.
Old 04-24-10, 10:19 PM
Johnny
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

You need to test drive an LS600 in Sport & Power modes. It'll change your opinion in about 5.4 seconds!
Old 04-25-10, 07:10 AM
stever500
Rookie

Originally Posted by Burnaby
You need to test drive an LS600 in Sport & Power modes. It'll change your opinion in about 5.4 seconds!
Can't afford an LS600 - definitely a cool car, though. If one of my 2 cars had a catastrophic repair it would make this decision a lot easier but they both are pretty solid right now. Like I said, I need to find a way to spend a day or 2 in a 460 to check it out. I met a friend last night who ended up getting my other friend's LS 2004 430 when he himself bought the 07 LS 460. This friend said he loved his "new" 04 LS 430 compared to his old GS 430. It looked nice in silver, too. I personally find them a little stodgy looking on some days, and wholly appealing on other days, and they would cost $10k less than the 07 LS 460.

I'm pretty sure I wouldn't go for the LS 430 (like a 05 or 06) though as I'd constantly be wishing for the newer body style, more sporty looking for sure.

Originally Posted by joedaddy1
agreed...

is there a reason why you need a big back seat?
do you have kids? clients?

if not.. why not go with a smaller vehicle as a daily driver.. i like your porsche..

I just wanted a car that was as big and roomy as my 7 series if I have to give up both cars (which I do) to get one killer car. I don't consider the ES350 or the Acura RL or the Infinity M35 or the LS 430 (05-06), etc to be killer cars. I consider the 07 LS 460 to be a killer car, thus, my interest. )

Last edited by stever500; 04-25-10 at 08:50 AM.
Old 04-25-10, 10:25 AM
amcdonal86
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Burnaby
But the OP can do that with his current car!

For me, driving excitement doesn't come from acceleration. It comes from having a car that is responsive and communicates with you. And from the sounds!

You can't beat the sound of a flat-six P-engine.

But I still love my LS. It's definitely great on the highway and for putting around town! And you can't beat the build quality or refinement!

Quick Reply: Considering selling my 01 BMW 740i & 96 911 C4S for 07 LS460. This is a hard one...