LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

playing mp3s on a dvd

Old 04-21-10, 07:20 AM
wsteiner
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default playing mp3s on a dvd

Anybody know if you can burn mp3's onto a dvd and play them in an 07 LS with the mark levinson sound?
Old 04-21-10, 07:42 AM
TheRealtor
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by wsteiner
Anybody know if you can burn mp3's onto a dvd and play them in an 07 LS with the mark levinson sound?
i tried this...did not work. not sure why it would not work. the hardware works with a regular burned CD but does not work with burned mp3s on a DVD. i have not tried burning wma files to dvd. this might work.

let me know if you can burn wma files to DVD and play them back. would be a cheaper alternative than to get a USB kit from VAIS.
Old 04-21-10, 10:42 AM
Al-Taweel
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It works on my car. I just burnt an MP3 DVD using Toast burner (on mac) and everything went fine. I used a normal DVD. Also, i was able to put them in folders and add graphics if i wish
Old 04-21-10, 01:50 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

if you burn mp3 on the dvd as data files, it will not play. you can only do that on cds

i also doubt wma will work.
Old 04-21-10, 02:00 PM
jmcraney

Received 254 Likes on 194 Posts

Toast is capable of converting MP3s to DVD Audio format. I have done that to some of my music and it works great with the limitation of the controls being locked out while the car is in motion. Those of you who have the override may not have that problem.

Last edited by jmcraney; 04-21-10 at 02:12 PM.
Old 04-22-10, 08:38 PM
wsteiner
Driver School Candidate

So I'm what I'm getting from this discussion is that you cannot store mp3's on a dvd, they must be converted to DVD audio format which means you may get about 100 songs on a dvd. That's about as much as you get by storing mp3's on a CD. But Al-Taweel says the songs are in folders which implies an mp3 data format. Confusing.

I'm trying to decide if the Vais tech USB player is worth it. Seems you can store about 600 songs on the 6 CD's. VAIS/USB can store thousands and also have playlists and an IPOD interface. MP3's on 6 DVDs would do the trick, but no playlists. I installed the vaistech multimedialinq usb player for evaluation. What I don't like about it is that if you want playlists, all songs you want to hear must be in a playlist, it just won't see the other songs not in playlists. I spoke to Eugene of vais and he says "playlists are the customers responsiblity". Kinda sucks having to put every song into a playlist, especially if there are thousands. If you have no playlists, then all songs can be seen/played. All or nothing. Fortunately, I'm an engineer and I wrote a script to automatically find the files and put it in playlists.
Old 04-22-10, 10:57 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by wsteiner
So I'm what I'm getting from this discussion is that you cannot store mp3's on a dvd, they must be converted to DVD audio format which means you may get about 100 songs on a dvd. That's about as much as you get by storing mp3's on a CD. But Al-Taweel says the songs are in folders which implies an mp3 data format. Confusing.

I'm trying to decide if the Vais tech USB player is worth it. Seems you can store about 600 songs on the 6 CD's. VAIS/USB can store thousands and also have playlists and an IPOD interface. MP3's on 6 DVDs would do the trick, but no playlists. I installed the vaistech multimedialinq usb player for evaluation. What I don't like about it is that if you want playlists, all songs you want to hear must be in a playlist, it just won't see the other songs not in playlists. I spoke to Eugene of vais and he says "playlists are the customers responsiblity". Kinda sucks having to put every song into a playlist, especially if there are thousands. If you have no playlists, then all songs can be seen/played. All or nothing. Fortunately, I'm an engineer and I wrote a script to automatically find the files and put it in playlists.
i don't know about cars that are not us spec, but for us spec cars, i can tell you for sure that if it's mp3 files on dvd, it won't play. you can burn them to dvd audio, and like you said, it becomes just like mp3 on cd

if you are just doing ipod, you don't need the vml right? you can just get the sl2i-up which is quite a bit cheaper than the vml. and on mine, i don't have playlist and i never use playlist. i always only do either artists or albums, which then i will be able to see everything and select what i want, if i want
Old 04-24-10, 06:56 AM
MikeE12345
Pole Position

Originally Posted by rominl
you can burn them to dvd audio, and like you said, it becomes just like mp3 on cd
If your original content is CD audio or, better yet, DVD audio shouldn't the quality be much better than mp3. The cost - takes up more room.
Old 04-24-10, 02:48 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by MikeE12345
If your original content is CD audio or, better yet, DVD audio shouldn't the quality be much better than mp3. The cost - takes up more room.
what i meant is the number of songs you can store on dvd using dvd audio, it's just about the same as storing mp3 files on cd
Old 04-25-10, 01:39 PM
wsteiner
Driver School Candidate

I've never heard a difference in a high bit rate encoded mp3 and an audio cd, although I'm not an expert, and I'm sure other people have a better ear than me. Besides, I buy all my music through an mp3 store online.