LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

New LS Owner - Buying Wheels

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-10, 11:08 AM
karasha
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New LS Owner - Buying Wheels

Hi all!

Yesterday my family purchased a 2008 Black/Black Lexus LS460 with, what I feel is to be a pretty fully loaded car with 22,650 miles for $48,000 [TTL included].

Right away I put on new tires since the ones they had on the car were pretty bald, and then went straight to go put tint on (30%F, 20%R).

Monday I will be calling to find the best deal on Wald Portofinos for the car. From what I understand, they do not have offsets since it isn't a three piece wheel, but I can of course choose what size I want. I am personally thinking about going with 20s.

How has the ride comfort decreased after upgrading to 20s? Has it been just a little bit of a difference or is the car noticeably rougher? I've never experienced a wide range of cars with aftermarket wheels, so I am unsure whether this roughness varies from car to car or if it's just the nature of having aftermarket wheels.

Thank you all in advance!

PS - What are other MUST HAVE modifications for this car?
Old 04-11-10, 12:33 PM
IStoSC
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Congrats, I assume you have the ML / Nav packages as per "fully loaded"? The standard rims are 19"s so I don't think 20"s will make too much difference in this car if I were you I'd opt for 21"+ and there are tons of people on this forum that can help you with the logistics of that...personally I think the only improvements that maybe must have are on the exterior such as perhaps a wald kit or what not...the interior is pretty solid IMO...enjoy your new ride!
Old 04-11-10, 12:42 PM
aypues
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by IStoSC
Congrats, I assume you have the ML / Nav packages as per "fully loaded"? The standard rims are 19"s so I don't think 20"s will make too much difference in this car if I were you I'd opt for 21"+ and there are tons of people on this forum that can help you with the logistics of that...personally I think the only improvements that maybe must have are on the exterior such as perhaps a wald kit or what not...the interior is pretty solid IMO...enjoy your new ride!
standard is 18", touring is 19"
Old 04-11-10, 05:20 PM
karasha
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by IStoSC
Yes, I have the ML/Nav packages, Comfort package, Lexus Link and so on. The rims on this car are 18" (They are the same size as my IS350's stock wheels). I was definitely considering a very subtle and classy kit; the Wald kit caught my eye.

I guess I will need to look around as to what size looks best on the car...

I guess this thread is useless without pictures I'll try to get some very soon.
Old 04-15-10, 01:48 PM
zeebra
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

20's wont feel any different ride-wise. 22's will feel a little stiffer, but not bad at all.
Once you start shopping for wheels in the 22" range, you will find that there are only so many manufacturers that make them right (wald is one of them), and they can spec the right wheel offset and bolt pattern. In other words, you dont really need to know what the specs are, because the guys who make the good ones already know exactly what fits your car.
I spent almost 2 years trying to find wheels that didnt cost upwards of $1200 apiece by web searching for size/offset/bolt pattern, and after 5 unsuccessful test fittings finally decided to fork out a little more money and get some that truly fit correct.
I went with Vossens, who make a superior 1 piece wheel (they are fewer dollars than 3-piece, and still look great) that fit the first time, no problems. And they were in the $4-600 each price range. Tires are also in the $500 each range.
It seems like around $3500 is the minimum ante for getting into 22", and you could easily plunk $10k into them if you wanted to.
Anyways, here are some pics of mine, I love them! Also is a pic of one of the unsuccessful test fits - the KMC Zero in 22" would have saved me a couple hundred bucks but I would have needed wheel spacers, no thanks, but I did like the all-black look!
Z
Attached Thumbnails New LS Owner - Buying Wheels-img_2893.jpg   New LS Owner - Buying Wheels-img_2894.jpg   New LS Owner - Buying Wheels-img_2895.jpg   New LS Owner - Buying Wheels-zero-on-lex1.jpg  
Old 04-15-10, 03:04 PM
MannyRCF
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Those 1 piece wheels actually dont look half bad...car looks good with the set up...the bottom ones are so so.
Old 04-15-10, 04:15 PM
karasha
Lead Lap

Zeebra - are those 22" Vossen VVS083s? I've been looking at those Those along with the Wald Mahora [Those Portofinos are no joke when it comes to price!].

My only problem is when you put 22" on the car, it sits like an SUV, so then you need to lower, which then decreases the ride quality even more. I've seen 20" on the car and it seems to look on the borderline of too small, but I could drop the car a little so it looks a little nicer.

I'm just on the fence. It is absolutely mandatory this car keeps good ride quality; we will be sometimes driving clientele around. I've been looking at monoblock/one-piece wheels only because I've heard they don't ride as rough as three piece wheels. And I would be open to lowering the car just a little (with springs) as long as the ride quality doesn't decrease TOO much.

Any suggestions?
Old 04-16-10, 02:02 PM
Doubleg
Driver

How's "My Family" take on you doing upgrades?
Old 04-17-10, 06:54 AM
MikeE12345
Pole Position

I don't know much about the effect of increasing wheel size has on ride quality except what I read on this forum – larger diameter tends to produce a stiffer ride. I don’t understand how this should be so. For example, try pushing a golf cart around the course with small then large wheels. The large wheels win every time. What am I missing?
Old 04-17-10, 12:40 PM
karasha
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Doubleg
My family is the one pushing for the upgrades. The stock tires on this car are underwhelming; it looks like a body builder with tiny little legs.

Originally Posted by MikeE12345
I don't know much about the effect of increasing wheel size has on ride quality except what I read on this forum – larger diameter tends to produce a stiffer ride. I don’t understand how this should be so. For example, try pushing a golf cart around the course with small then large wheels. The large wheels win every time. What am I missing?
I've never really asked the true logistics of why an aftermarket wheel is rougher. From what I've been told, a one piece wheel vs. a two/three piece wheel will feel more comfortable and solid. Then, the larger the wheel on a car, the ride comfort decreases. Maybe this is true because you have to put a thinner tire on the new wheel? Don't hold me accountable, this is just what I've been told.
Old 04-17-10, 12:53 PM
sliu6122
Driver School Candidate

Default Wheels to buy

I would recommend VIP MODULAR wheels. They are 3 piece wheels and will fit perfectly to your car. I run 22's and it feels better than my stock tires before i lowered with with JIC Coilovers. You pay for what you get. By far these are the best rims you can get.
Old 04-17-10, 12:55 PM
WhitBaby
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by MikeE12345
I 'think' it's because the larger the wheel size, the smaller the tire mass from wheel to ground.

Like with a 17 inch wheel you may have four inches of cushioning tire/air between wheel and road. However with a 22" wheel you'll have considerably less tire/air cushioning available.

Less cushioning = firmer ride and more opportunity to bend a wheel in a pothole.

Whit
Old 04-17-10, 01:06 PM
karasha
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by sliu6122
I would recommend VIP MODULAR wheels. They are 3 piece wheels and will fit perfectly to your car. I run 22's and it feels better than my stock tires before i lowered with with JIC Coilovers. You pay for what you get. By far these are the best rims you can get.
VIP Modular are nice, and I especially like the VR08. But, I am looking into buying either WALD Mahoras or Portofinos. I have heard that they make quite a superior wheel for the LS. But thanks for your input! I was considering putting VIP Modular on the SC430.

As for lowering this car, I have heard only two suggestions besides buying air: JIC Coilovers and Tanabe springs. Are these the only two options? Or the only two preferred options?
Old 04-17-10, 01:57 PM
MannyRCF
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doubleg

My family is the one pushing for the upgrades. The stock tires on this car are underwhelming; it looks like a body builder with tiny little legs.

LOL...perfectly put