LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Average man drive a LS 460 ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-10, 03:21 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by usermel
I think the average income numbers are accurate. Plenty may make executive salaries and own there own companies that effect the average of say, A person who makes $100,000! The exec may make $500,000-$3,000,000 and after averages with lower incomes i can see the LS owners income averages coming out that way! America is a great country in the fact we can own cars here that CEO's own via lease or buying on credit. Other countries citizens aren't as fortunate.

Not many countries have people who are not executives driving executive sedans(or any luxury cars period)! We are fortunate to be in this country not just because of the cars we can own but, the freedom to do so! L.G.N.M
What is also cool is the LS 600h L is used by some heads of state and high level executives in other countries. I think Encore had a thread about it.
Old 04-13-10, 06:14 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
What is also cool is the LS 600h L is used by some heads of state and high level executives in other countries. I think Encore had a thread about it.
Hehe, now I have an excuse to bring that up again.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...l-service.html

Old 04-13-10, 07:01 PM
usermel
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Encore 888 and 1SickLex, it is cool that overseas they use the LS model. This is what Benz/BMW/Jag/Audi lovers need to see the get rid of the thought of Lexus not being in the same league. I think the above pictures show Lexus is on schedule to be a traditional Luxury car for years to come. Great pictures by the way!!! L.G.N.M
Old 04-16-10, 01:49 PM
medici78
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike_TX
LOL. Not "old-skool mindset" - just different-skool mindset.

As long as I can afford to trade often and I enjoy doing so, it's my business, and as you say ... I generate used vehicles for others (who, honestly ... I think have old-skool mentality. After all, decades ago my dad thought like you do and bought used cars.)

The REALLY old-school (I HAD to clean up that spelling!) mentality in my opinion is the guy who buys a used car and keeps it for 5 more years, thinking he's squeezing every dollar of value out of it. Kind of like a former father-in-law, who would get a new shirt for Christmas, then put it in a drawer until the one he had wore out.

I consider both the used car and the new shirt in the drawer to be false economy. But that's just me.

This is why leasing was invented. Personally, I prefer a lease for several reasons. I used to have the mentality of the used car was a better buy but, without going into too much detail, it isn't much better nor necessarily wiser. Just because a car is used, doesn't mean it won't continue to depreciate.
For most folks looking at the used LS's, they are looking at lease returns where the previous owner paid depreciation as it went along and (if they were wise) kept a big chunk of change in their pocket. Do the math and the payments on a 2-yr-old LS with no money down are comparable to those of a lease.
Old 04-17-10, 10:39 AM
MannyRCF
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by medici78
This is why leasing was invented. Personally, I prefer a lease for several reasons. I used to have the mentality of the used car was a better buy but, without going into too much detail, it isn't much better nor necessarily wiser. Just because a car is used, doesn't mean it won't continue to depreciate.
For most folks looking at the used LS's, they are looking at lease returns where the previous owner paid depreciation as it went along and (if they were wise) kept a big chunk of change in their pocket. Do the math and the payments on a 2-yr-old LS with no money down are comparable to those of a lease.
I personally think leasing has its ups and downs...I leased a 2007 BMW 328i once the lease was up I had nothing left...I kind of felt like I paid rent on the car...paid 20K plus over 3 years and had nothing left....I think it works good if you are self employed the tax right off helps...I would never lease again..just my .02
Old 04-17-10, 03:11 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

none of the options is clearly better, it depends on your lifestyle and planning. if you like changing cars every few years, lease in most cases is better and hassle free (and in CA you pay less tax). if you like to keep cars for a long time, then buy is better option (in my case, lease and they buyout actually works out cheaper than finance directly).

of course, getting used car is always better, but to be honest i don't think that can be put together with owning / leasing a new car
Old 04-17-10, 03:16 PM
IStoSC
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My father justified purchasing his LS460 CPO as basically the amount of money we'd put into leasing a 2010 LS460 at least at the end of three years we would have a car and at the least the car would still be very valuable...
Old 04-17-10, 03:45 PM
usermel
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Smile I agree with this man 100%!!!!

Originally Posted by rominl
none of the options is clearly better, it depends on your lifestyle and planning. if you like changing cars every few years, lease in most cases is better and hassle free (and in CA you pay less tax). if you like to keep cars for a long time, then buy is better option (in my case, lease and they buyout actually works out cheaper than finance directly).

of course, getting used car is always better, but to be honest i don't think that can be put together with owning / leasing a new car
No option(lease/purchase/buying used) is better. Its a decision based on an individuals needs and wants or one or the other(need/want)! At the end of it ALL its just a car. Yes, a nice car indeed, but if you have a 1991LS or a 2010 LS the bottomline is you have a car most never will be able to drive(used or new)! I like buying my cars used/new and that depends on were I'm at with the car I own at the time of my next buy. I may get a new car in 2 years. That depends on my mindset! What I mean is right now I am feeling great about just having A CAR with so many that have lost homes and cars and jobs etc., during the economic downturn that Im content right now.

If this mindset stays with me in 2 years, I'll go used! Maybe a 2-3 year old LS(1 owner)! A new car used to be a goal but, for me I grew tired of trade in values being less than I expected! I met a salesman who worked at Lexus who made great money as did his wife, he was driving a older LS400(1996) and this was in like 2002! I asked why was he doing so. He broke it down about the features and engine etc., and explained that cars are cars to him and used ones are cheaper and if you buy a good car it last a long time.

He wasn't caught up in the whole new car, better life thing. He saved his money for a new home(over 4,000 square feet) and saved other money for retirement etc.! He explained that was more important! He explained how salesman and managers at dealerships looked at customers. That conversation changed not just my car buying but my view on money and how it involves itself with my money and LIFE. Im not cheap, just WISE and frugal!

Again, I agree with rominl, no choice is right or wrong! Its up to each person to decide what they feel comfortable with and our money and past and present life experiences play a part in why we feel as we do. If I never talked to the salesman at the dealership, I would still be in the rat race! Thanks Lexus salesman! You changed my mindset and this used car was the car I kept longer than any other! I never kept a new car longer than 2 years!!! L.G.N.M

Last edited by usermel; 04-17-10 at 03:51 PM. Reason: many