LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

LS460 vs S550 vs BMW 7 series

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-10, 11:36 AM
MannyRCF
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Whats with all the LS bashing ?You are talking about the World Car of the Year.
Old 04-07-10, 11:39 AM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GS3Tek
Regarding interior design, it's perfectly fine for the S class to rip the 7's interior???

If lexus EVER put idrive into their system, I will personally give an F U to lexus forever.

I am very happy with lexus info system right now.
What is Lexus...stuck in 90's....even the Avalon has a type of sort of toggle like joystick whatever you want to call it.

Leave it for the bmw.
End of rant/end of story/period.
Yeah end of story, period. My girlfriend and I were thinking of upgrading out LS430....we immediately ruled out the LS460 because it did not offer and iDrive like controller. We have now narrowed things down to BMW or Audi...either a larger sedan or the convertible 1-series....we really, really like the 1 series for everything it offers.

Now the choice come between either sedan or convert.....I have never had a convertible so I would be interesting.....but one thing is for sure...our next car must have a idrive like controller....most Lexus products are crossed off the list, except the HS but that is something we don't want.

There is no doubt Lexus will correct their error with remote touch coming to the next LS

Last edited by pagemaster; 04-07-10 at 11:49 AM.
Old 04-07-10, 12:04 PM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Manny735
You are talking about the World Car of the Year.
Its nice that the LS460 won but so did the Nissan GT-R, Audi R8, Audi R8 10.....but seriously, nobody really cares about the World Car of the Year award.
Old 04-07-10, 12:15 PM
MannyRCF
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by pagemaster
Its nice that the LS460 won but so did the Nissan GT-R, Audi R8, Audi R8 10.....but seriously, nobody really cares about the World Car of the Year award.
The cars that you have listed are some of the best engineered cars of our time ....it might not mean much to you but to me it does.
Old 04-07-10, 12:19 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

you mean you? i see
Old 04-07-10, 02:09 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

...stuck in 90's....even the Avalon has a type of sort of toggle like joystick whatever you want to call it.
Only the Avalon had that toggle, and it was hated by consumers, the Avalon NAVI received the worst test scores and most complaints out of all Toyota models. The obsession to reduce all interior functions to a single controller has to be tempered by intelligence, and that's why the LS interior with its touchscreen is way more intuitive than the Avalon joystick one. And that's why the 2011 Avalon switched to touchscreen.

The next LS will almost certainly get Remote Touch, which allows freedom of movement across the navigation screen plus feedback, it does the controller but in a more intelligent way, and I'm glad they took the time to develop it rather than bring some simply copy-job Avalon joystick.

Originally Posted by Manny735
You are talking about the World Car of the Year.
Exactly!

Next time, the new S-Class is reported to have hand gesture recognition; the new 7 series currently has an improved i-Drive, while the new Audi A8 has its MMI plus a touchpad; current LS leads in ease of use with a touchscreen, but for a pushed-forward dash design, the next LS will likely bring Remote Touch.
Old 04-07-10, 02:46 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by encore888
Only the Avalon had that toggle, and it was hated by consumers, the Avalon NAVI received the worst test scores and most complaints out of all Toyota models. The obsession to reduce all interior functions to a single controller has to be tempered by intelligence, and that's why the LS interior with its touchscreen is way more intuitive than the Avalon joystick one. And that's why the 2011 Avalon switched to touchscreen.

The next LS will almost certainly get Remote Touch, which allows freedom of movement across the navigation screen plus feedback, it does the controller but in a more intelligent way, and I'm glad they took the time to develop it rather than bring some simply copy-job Avalon joystick.

Exactly!

Next time, the new S-Class is reported to have hand gesture recognition; the new 7 series currently has an improved i-Drive, while the new Audi A8 has its MMI plus a touchpad; current LS leads in ease of use with a touchscreen, but for a pushed-forward dash design, the next LS will likely bring Remote Touch.
also, keep in mind, idrive is good? if it's good, then they wouldn't have done the change in 2009, which was a complete opposite approach of what the initial idrive promised (a ****, only turn or push)
Old 04-07-10, 04:47 PM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

[QUOTE=encore888;5382668]Only the Avalon had that toggle, and it was hated by consumers, the Avalon NAVI received the worst test scores and most complaints out of all Toyota models. The obsession to reduce all interior functions to a single controller has to be tempered by intelligence, and that's why the LS interior with its touchscreen is way more intuitive than the Avalon joystick one. And that's why the 2011 Avalon switched to touchscreen.

QUOTE]

The Avalon still has it in a sort of WAY. At least that is what Toyota.ca states for the 2011 Avalon .

"Avalon’s elegant state-of-the-art DVD-Based Navigation System, with voice recognition, is now standard. Both driver and front passenger can plot a course using an 8-way switch and scroll lever. The navigation controls have surface emitting illumination and hide away above the gated shifter. Maps, HVAC and select audio controls are shown on the seven-inch liquid crystal display (LCD). New for 2011, the system now features Touch Screen Capability and a Backup camera."

Looks like it might have both methods.
Old 04-07-10, 06:21 PM
usermel
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I like the touch screen Lexus offers. The Idrive is cool to just takes a while to learn. The reason I dint go BMW was part because of the Idrive. The salesman had a difficult time trying to teach me how to use it when I was shopping around. May sound silly but, I may have went BMW if the Idrive wasnt offered.

Nothing is wrong with the idrive, just like the ease of the current touch screen. If Lexus changes it will make me think twice about a Lexus tht has Idrive type technology. I dont care for it myself but, I respect and dont want t argue why others who like it shouldnt. I respect those who like idrive! L.G.N.M
Old 04-07-10, 07:45 PM
LexLaw
Lexus Champion

Yeah end of story, period. My girlfriend and I were thinking of upgrading out LS430....we immediately ruled out the LS460 because it did not offer and iDrive like controller. We have now narrowed things down to BMW or Audi...either a larger sedan or the convertible 1-series....we really, really like the 1 series for everything it offers.

Now the choice come between either sedan or convert.....I have never had a convertible so I would be interesting.....but one thing is for sure...our next car must have a idrive like controller....most Lexus products are crossed off the list, except the HS but that is something we don't want.
I don't quite see how upgrading from an LS to a BMW 1 series is an upgrade? I got the convertible aspect but 1 series? 6 series yes. Hey 3 series drop perhaps. But 1 series? I could understand cross shopping 2 different platforms or types of vehicles, as I myself have been torn between and MB CLS, 3GS, LS460 and even a Range Rover. However I don't see how If I actually own an LS I would remotely be interested in entry level compact car even if BMW was the manufacturer. I don't care how much you prefer I-Drive and the like, that could never push me into a 1 series. Especially coming from an LS430, as luxurious and prestigious as it was or many would argue still is.
Old 04-07-10, 09:17 PM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LexLaw
I don't quite see how upgrading from an LS to a BMW 1 series is an upgrade? I got the convertible aspect but 1 series? 6 series yes. Hey 3 series drop perhaps. But 1 series? I could understand cross shopping 2 different platforms or types of vehicles, as I myself have been torn between and MB CLS, 3GS, LS460 and even a Range Rover. However I don't see how If I actually own an LS I would remotely be interested in entry level compact car even if BMW was the manufacturer. I don't care how much you prefer I-Drive and the like, that could never push me into a 1 series. Especially coming from an LS430, as luxurious and prestigious as it was or many would argue still is.
Hey Lexlaw. When I say upgrade, I mean new car, not better or advanced car. I guess I should of made it clear.

We don't need a large sedan, we really don't. I rarely drive it, my girlfriend drives it as it is hers. I also don't park it in my underground, I park my truck there. The LS stays outside because the place is mine and I paid for the place.

Back to the cars, we never really load the car up with people. Yes it is a prestige car and it is very nice and a class leader when it was out, but we want something smaller, easier to drive, park, move around town and also something a little more trendy. She also really likes the idea of manual. She is very trendy and really likes it, at the end of the day, she will likely pay for it so it really is up to her.
Old 04-08-10, 03:43 PM
rjm
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I think if you would ask this same question on the BMW and Mercedes forums you would get entirely different answers. My last 3 cars have been Mercedes, Lexus, and BMW in that order. I'm currently on my 4th BMW so I am biased. The Mercedes is a money-hog. Every time you go to the dealership you can expect to spend $500-$1000 for routine service checks, oil changes, windshield wiper changes, tire rotation charges, etc, etc, etc. When they changed their service free policy for 4 years to pay-as-you-go, I went. I liked my Lexus LS430. It was a great car. Very reliable and trouble-free, but very BORING to drive. A buddy of mine who also drives a Lexus told me it was kind of like being in a casket...warm and cuddly and isolated, but boring. He was right. Then I went to BMW. I love these cars because I love to drive, and as someone said earlier in this thread, BMW is a driver's car. I agree. Some of the models with the twin-turbos suffer electrical and fuel pump problems....big time! I would stay away from those models. The i-Drive sucks. It simply is not user friendly when you have to operate 3 buttons to change the temperature in the car. On the other hand, the 4 BMW's I have owned have all been trouble free. No major maintenance issues or problems at all. I have driven the LS460 each of the last 3 years when considering going back and I just can't get into that car. It's nice, and warm, and cozy, but for me, it's boring. Drive them all, talk to owners of all of them, and make your decision. They all are "nice" cars and have a lot going for them. Let us know what you choose.

Last edited by rjm; 04-08-10 at 03:54 PM.
Old 04-08-10, 04:05 PM
OPSBD
Rookie

Why are MB and BMW owners in a Lexus club? I'm confused. When I owned a MB I was never in a BMW or Lexus club.
Old 04-08-10, 04:19 PM
rjm
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by OPSBD
Why are MB and BMW owners in a Lexus club? I'm confused. When I owned a MB I was never in a BMW or Lexus club.
I guess you were never that interested in cars. Sometimes it pays to keep abreast of what's going on.

And, I still have an RX-300 that serves as a hauler. Got 104,000 miles on that one.

Last edited by rjm; 04-08-10 at 04:22 PM.
Old 04-08-10, 04:29 PM
GS3Tek

Received 162 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by OPSBD
Some of us still owns mb/bmw and/or family members with other makes/models.

It's not the other way around where mb/bmw owners never owned lexus as seen in other forums

Quick Reply: LS460 vs S550 vs BMW 7 series