LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

LS460 vs S550 vs BMW 7 series

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-10, 06:15 AM
tomd
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Agree with Car and Driver

Car and Driver compared the three, and I agree with their assessment

1) MB S550 (I bought one)
2) BMW 740i
3) The Lexus can't touch either the BMW or the MB

None of my MB's were anything but bulletproof. Service was outstanding.
Most unreliable car was my wife's Lexus
Old 04-06-10, 06:58 AM
carfanmd
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

To me this is a debate that can never be won. Subjectivity lends itself to such conclusions. I have owned all these cars and currently am driving a 2010 LS 460 Sport. I agree that handling wise the BMW reigns supreme. I also think comfort wise and interior fit and finish/warmth the Lexus and MB have the edge....but this is just the opinion of one driver. Reliability is a big issue for me and I had issues with BMW and MB where I have had none with Lexus. That being said, if the priority of a driver is "handling" and "sport" feeling, then Lexus is not the first choice but that is only my opinion. I look for a combination of handling, comfort, reliability, price and value. These factors all lead me to Lexus. That does not mean that BMW or MB don't make great cars that have many of their own attributes. Also, I have owned many Lexus and have not had one problem other than some fit and finish issues which have increased over the years. Bottom line in my book....each person has his/her priorities and each brand addresses them in their own way. To argue which is better or worse is like asking what is better, McDonalds, Burger King or Wendy's? All these companies make tasty burgers.....but each person has his own favorite. Why try to convince a person to change their favorite by arguing subjectivity as if it were objectivity? It seems to be to be a pointless exercise. Again, JMHO.
Old 04-06-10, 07:04 AM
tomd
Rookie

Default Good points

This is true. All three are fine cars, and appeal to their individual owners.

Our family can't even agree. While I prefer the S550, my 86 year old mother prefers the Lexus, and my brother likes the BMW!
Old 04-06-10, 09:29 AM
rogers2
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Tomd I know this is off topic. But can you give me some insight on your CL550. My CL500 was a beautiful car but it gave me too much trouble maintenance wise so I downgrade to a CLS. Have your CL550 been giving you any problems? I always thought driving a CL was a lifestyle not just a car.
Old 04-06-10, 09:37 AM
tomd
Rookie

Default Cl550

Originally Posted by rogers2
Tomd I know this is off topic. But can you give me some insight on your CL550. My CL500 was a beautiful car but it gave me too much trouble maintenance wise so I downgrade to a CLS. Have your CL550 been giving you any problems? I always thought driving a CL was a lifestyle not just a car.
The CL550 has been problem free since purchase. And, although it is a very nice car, I actually prefer the S550. As you may know, the CL is basically a short wheelbase SClass with Coupe sheetmetal, and no usable back seats. It makes no sense to me that the CL costs more than the S.

The S is smoother riding, quieter, more luxurious and much more practical. The CL is for the times I drive alone.

My brother has a CLS550. It has also been problem free for him; and he loves it!
Old 04-06-10, 10:03 AM
usermel
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree and think all posters made excellent points. My favorite post is carfanmd's! He staed the truth. Its just our opinion and none of us are wrong were all entitled to state how we feel and looking to change anyones opinion isnt WISE! I know some who havent had issues with there Benz/BMW/Jag. Also, there are some who have had issues with Lexus reliability and with the dealerships. I have had issues with the dealerships and treatment myself. The cars have had some issues but, not like my Benzes did!

The Benzes were fun to drive and hands down were better luxury wise to ME! I like carfanmd like certain things about cars. I like reliability and comfort and quietness more than anything and then value. I like a car with a little of everything as opposed to more of 3 or 4 things. Lexus to ME provides a little of everything done well. Lexus is old reliable to me!!! I agree that all the cars we debate are excellent cars and its all about luck of the draw if you have problems or not! Lexus may not be Benz or BMW/Jag/Audi but, it is great in its OWN CLASS for those of us who just dig it!!! L.G.N.M
Old 04-06-10, 01:35 PM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by tomd
Car and Driver compared the three, and I agree with their assessment

1) MB S550 (I bought one)
2) BMW 740i
3) The Lexus can't touch either the BMW or the MB
I would like to read the review, can you post a link if possible?

As for the assessment of the three. The Lexus LS460 doesn't come close to the S550 or 7 series. The biggest problem with the LS is the design, all the materials, workmanship assembly are all state of the art but what defines the flagship luxury market right now is design.

Lexus clearly dropped the ball and miscalculated BMW and their iDrive technology. I don't care what anyone says about this subject, Lexus clearly made a mistake END OF STORY. Period. Every car manufacturing that sells luxury or near luxury now offer their own take on iDrive. Even the Hyundai Genesis has this. Lexus also designed a more traditional type of car with the way the interior is laid out. Step inside a Camry or a LS and the interior are designed following the old stand center stack with HVAC/Radio and what
else.

The design of the CT interior blows the LS away and is so much more current.

Lexus will design it right next time.

As for the LS600h...FAIL...nobody want's a faux V12.
Parking assist is a disaster.

As for sales numbers, Lexus LS only does well because it starts almost $18k below the competition.

MT magazine said it right. The LS is "nice, but no longer nicest"

Last edited by pagemaster; 04-06-10 at 01:42 PM.
Old 04-06-10, 01:46 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by pagemaster
I would like to read the review, can you post a link if possible? [...]

Lexus will design it right next time.

As for sales numbers, Lexus LS only does well because it starts almost $18k below the competition.
Search Car and Driver for the comparison test with the XJ Super V8, Audi A8, etc. and you'll find it. They blame Lexus' emphasis on quiet and softness for not scoring well...the very antithesis to many of what the flagship market is all about.

I also think that saying the LS does well due to price advantage only is selling the vehicle short; for many, the LS interior is the most intuitive, comfortable, and stylish. That being said, Remote Touch may go a step further. Moreover, the LS 460 L's average price paid has been about $1,000 more than the Audi A8, and $2,000 less than the 7 series LWB, which is comparable. (link) Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and I find the LS ergonomics to be far better than those of rivals. However if they put in a iDrive ****, I think many Lexus consumers would be outraged. Remote Touch, fortunately, is different.

Originally Posted by carfanmd
To me this is a debate that can never be won. Subjectivity lends itself to such conclusions. I have owned all these cars and currently am driving a 2010 LS 460 Sport. I agree that handling wise the BMW reigns supreme. I also think comfort wise and interior fit and finish/warmth the Lexus and MB have the edge....but this is just the opinion of one driver. Reliability is a big issue for me and I had issues with BMW and MB where I have had none with Lexus. That being said, if the priority of a driver is "handling" and "sport" feeling, then Lexus is not the first choice but that is only my opinion. I look for a combination of handling, comfort, reliability, price and value. These factors all lead me to Lexus. That does not mean that BMW or MB don't make great cars that have many of their own attributes. Also, I have owned many Lexus and have not had one problem other than some fit and finish issues which have increased over the years. Bottom line in my book....each person has his/her priorities and each brand addresses them in their own way. To argue which is better or worse is like asking what is better, McDonalds, Burger King or Wendy's? All these companies make tasty burgers.....but each person has his own favorite. Why try to convince a person to change their favorite by arguing subjectivity as if it were objectivity? It seems to be to be a pointless exercise. Again, JMHO.
Well said. To make it to the flagship class and be a successful model makes each of these entries worthy of consideration.
Old 04-06-10, 01:49 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 185 Likes on 144 Posts

lol, for someone who doesn't even have a car with idrive, what else can i say. i only think i can say something coz' i own both lexus and bmw and can comment on the idrive more. just coz' some companies have it and lexus has to have it, that's laughable, end of story, period. i am not saying touch screen is the best, but i like the fact that lexus THINKS and put in remote touch instead of just another freaking ****

i for one was blessed that my ls460l didn't come up with a freaking idrive, something i still struggle in my m3 after owning it for more than a year. with that said, i am also super happy lexus is migrating to the remote touch, showing that they give real thoughts about user interface, instead of "hey, let's copy"

Last edited by rominl; 04-06-10 at 01:52 PM.
Old 04-06-10, 02:01 PM
LexFather

Pagemaster your rants on the LS are well documented here. They are unfounded, untrue and malicious to post in a LS 460 forum filled with LS 460 owners.

Do you think people that spend this much money are stupid? That is what you are implying with your usual rant on the LS 460.

You fail to mention that the LS;
Won Top Gears "Limo executive" of the year award
Won the World Car of the Year

You again continue to confuse what you "think" with facts. You are entitled to your opinion on the LS, an opinion hardly anyone with any automotive knowledge shares.
Old 04-06-10, 02:11 PM
usermel
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Have you ever met a person who didn't like Pizza? Have you ever met a person who didn't like Water? Have you ever met a person who didnt like Lexus? I have and many just wont! All reviews with magazines etc., are subjective!!!! Were all human, what makes an expert really? Is one persons opinion more valuable than the one paying for it? Yes, Lexus isn't perfect at all and hasnt been around for years like the Euro models.

What my point is to fellow members is DO YOU!!! When you pay for something its yours and yours only. I like Benz and BMW but, decided Lexus was for me based on past reputation of the reliability that Lexus had. The new LS460 has faced some obstacles but, at the end of the day all cars have issues. What matters most is taste. Whats good to the individual. I wont try and state anymore why Lexus is better or Benz is. I just know there are no perfect cars and no perfect reviews.

All car reviewers are human and are just like us,subjective. Heck, if they didn't like Lexus before the review of it why would they change there mind? Lexus will have to Focus on design in my opinion to change the haters minds because thats the biggest complaint I do hear from Euro car buyers. They always say if Lexus had a better looking exterior and was less Toyota like they would leave Benz/BMW/Audi/Etc.! Until Lexus wakes up and addresses there annual issue of lack of exterior creativity in its design of there entire line Lexus will always be seen as not in the same category of the Euro makes.

I myself will buy based on value!!! If it was based on looks exterior wise I'd never have gotten my LS430(left a S-Class Benz for it)!L.G.N.M

Last edited by usermel; 04-06-10 at 02:17 PM.
Old 04-06-10, 03:08 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 200 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by encore888
Search Car and Driver for the comparison test with the XJ Super V8, Audi A8, etc. and you'll find it.
That's a pre-production LS460L equipped with crappy tires that they tested against proper production cars, so that comparison just added more worthlessness to the already worthless comparisons usually done by Car and Driver
Old 04-06-10, 03:12 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Gojirra99
That's a pre-production LS460L equipped with crappy tires that they tested against proper production cars, so that comparison just added more worthlessness to the already worthless comparisons usually done by Car and Driver
Agreed. Not to mention the review blurbs were incredibly brief except for the S550. C&D is often not the thoughtful, detailed publication it once was.

Anyhow, the LS line has its critics, each of this class does to varying degrees. It's a definite part of the game when you aim for the very top.
Old 04-07-10, 07:42 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Gojirra99
I literally lol'd .
Old 04-07-10, 11:05 AM
GS3Tek

Received 163 Likes on 124 Posts

Regarding interior design, it's perfectly fine for the S class to rip the 7's interior???

Originally Posted by rominl
lol, for someone who doesn't even have a car with idrive, what else can i say. i only think i can say something coz' i own both lexus and bmw and can comment on the idrive more. just coz' some companies have it and lexus has to have it, that's laughable, end of story, period. i am not saying touch screen is the best, but i like the fact that lexus THINKS and put in remote touch instead of just another freaking ****

i for one was blessed that my ls460l didn't come up with a freaking idrive, something i still struggle in my m3 after owning it for more than a year. with that said, i am also super happy lexus is migrating to the remote touch, showing that they give real thoughts about user interface, instead of "hey, let's copy"
If lexus EVER put idrive into their system, I will personally give an F U to lexus forever.
Leave it for the bmw.
End of rant/end of story/period.

I am very happy with lexus info system right now.

Quick Reply: LS460 vs S550 vs BMW 7 series