LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

updating the NAV at home.. there must be a way...

Old 03-11-10, 09:58 AM
joedaddy1
Racer

Received 177 Likes on 138 Posts
Talking updating the NAV at home.. there must be a way...

if we have the map data on an USB.. why can't we upload/update the data ourselves?

I understand that Lexus uses a "special machine", but once you connect the USB memory to the port.... Can't you just go into the NAV menu and goto update data? Then the computer will start reading/updating the system?

It can't be THAT complicated.. it's not rocket science...

$300 for an update doesn't make a BIT of sense..

infiniti dropped the prices of their updates from $199 to $130 this year.. same Navteq maps.. (well.. similar)... and if Garmin can do it for $50.. i know lexus doesn't have charge so damn muchhhh.
Old 03-11-10, 10:11 AM
Craig B

Received 52 Likes on 37 Posts

They changed companies for 2010. At least they did on my GX 460.
Old 03-11-10, 11:17 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 183 Likes on 142 Posts

if you ask me, it's probably more of a security measure that they don't want the data to be leaked out? i agree it shouldn't be too complicated

but then again, even for the dvd upgrade on other lexus, it's around 250 bucks
Old 03-13-10, 12:48 PM
jstjohnz
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by joedaddy1
if we have the map data on an USB.. why can't we upload/update the data ourselves?

I understand that Lexus uses a "special machine", but once you connect the USB memory to the port.... Can't you just go into the NAV menu and goto update data? Then the computer will start reading/updating the system?

It can't be THAT complicated.. it's not rocket science...

$300 for an update doesn't make a BIT of sense..

infiniti dropped the prices of their updates from $199 to $130 this year.. same Navteq maps.. (well.. similar)... and if Garmin can do it for $50.. i know lexus doesn't have charge so damn muchhhh.

There is a security key involved to prevent copying the Nav data to multiple vehicles. And I think the port on the car is a firewire port, the USB stick with the update uploads to a box that has a firewire port, and that plugs into the car.
Old 03-16-10, 06:50 PM
ikeb
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Denso makes the lexus nav system and they use a propritary os. I've been trying to get info to get into it for 3 months now with no luck.

my other car has a pioneer nav system that uses microsoft's ce os. Easy to get into and easy to make changes.
Old 03-16-10, 10:12 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by Craig B
They changed companies for 2010. At least they did on my GX 460.
They didn't change companies. They upgraded the system to Generation 6 and are now hard disk based instead of the old DVD based NAV.
Old 03-16-10, 10:24 PM
TalkLexus
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Gen 6 Nav update

Originally Posted by jstjohnz
There is a security key involved to prevent copying the Nav data to multiple vehicles. And I think the port on the car is a firewire port, the USB stick with the update uploads to a box that has a firewire port, and that plugs into the car.
Jim is absolutely correct... there is really two parts to updating a Gen 6 navigation system. 1) the tech-stream and 2) the usb key. The tech stream has all the most up to date navigation map detail in it, the dealer then plugs it into the vehicle and starts the update process. the USB Key is connected to the tech stream (not the vehicle) and the serial information unlocks the transfer. The tech stream then is programed to erase the serial number information on the Key to keep it from being used more then once. So in actuality, when someone pays for a navigation update in a 2010 vehicle (except for the SC), they only physical thing they are actually purchasing the USB key.

Enjoy!
Old 03-16-10, 11:40 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by flipside909
They didn't change companies. They upgraded the system to Generation 6 and are now hard disk based instead of the old DVD based NAV.
lol, hdd vs dvd is not a good way to distinguish gen 5 and 6. ls460 and lx570 are always hdd based, but they started out with gen 5
Old 03-17-10, 05:49 AM
boxcarfan
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

your wrong. it is a pain in the ***. it has taken me up to 3 hours to update it. its sooooo stupid how they make it work. you have to have 3 items. techstream, nav update tool, and the USB key file.

start up the nav update program
load everything into the nav update tool
load the key file in the to nav update tool
then plug the nav update tool (not the techstream) in the port under the drivers dash and let it update.

sounds very simple, yea! is it? NO!!! it will lock up all the time and if it doesnt then it will not read the ONE nav disc you load into the techstream then load into the nav update tool, and if all that goes will it still will take 45 mins to an hour just to load the nav disc that contains the map data. and after that you have to load the CDDB data....another 45 mins to an hour. THEN you get to load the key file then acutally update the car...another 30 mins.

pain. in. the. ***.
The following users liked this post:
aristo1987 (04-22-21)
Old 03-17-10, 07:16 AM
Craig B

Received 52 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by flipside909
The Nav has been hard disk since 2007. My salesman who sold me my GX 460, said Lexus changed companies for 2010. At least on the GX...
Old 03-17-10, 08:31 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by boxcarfan
your wrong. it is a pain in the ***. it has taken me up to 3 hours to update it. its sooooo stupid how they make it work. you have to have 3 items. techstream, nav update tool, and the USB key file.

start up the nav update program
load everything into the nav update tool
load the key file in the to nav update tool
then plug the nav update tool (not the techstream) in the port under the drivers dash and let it update.

sounds very simple, yea! is it? NO!!! it will lock up all the time and if it doesnt then it will not read the ONE nav disc you load into the techstream then load into the nav update tool, and if all that goes will it still will take 45 mins to an hour just to load the nav disc that contains the map data. and after that you have to load the CDDB data....another 45 mins to an hour. THEN you get to load the key file then acutally update the car...another 30 mins.

pain. in. the. ***.
sounds really painful.... amazing it takes so long to update, they use 56k modem to upload? @_@
Old 03-17-10, 09:20 AM
jstjohnz
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The Nav has been hard disk since 2007. My salesman who sold me my GX 460, said Lexus changed companies for 2010. At least on the GX...
The 2007-2009 LS460s can use either a dvd-based or hard drive-based nav system, depending on the destination country. I have no clue why this is.
Old 03-17-10, 10:02 AM
JFNash
Lead Lap

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

The 2007-2009 LS460s can use either a dvd-based or hard drive-based nav system, depending on the destination country. I have no clue why this is.
That's true.

In Saudi Arabia,it's a dvd-based sys. The dealer sells the single dvd (update) for $750. Needless to say that the market is open for pirated copies of the dealer's dvd, which cost from $0 to $100 at max.

I've an American LS460 (hdd-based nav sys) and I found a guy who managed to replace the entire hdd with another one that has the gulf states nav info pre-installed. The info was taken from the Saudi dealer's dvd.

I asked him what I would have to do if I wanted to upgrade to 2010 nav sys, he said he would replace the hdd again for a couple of hundred of $ and he would take the old one.

Last edited by JFNash; 03-17-10 at 10:05 AM.
Old 03-17-10, 10:38 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

yup, i don't really understand neither

and then in japan, all gs, is, and ls have been on hdd system for a long time
Old 03-17-10, 08:14 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

I hate to say it but most salesman don't have the knowledge or connections we have here on CL.

Your navigation interface is all manufactured by Fujitsu-Ten and Denso. The map data is obtained from NAVTEQ and Fujitsu-Ten.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: updating the NAV at home.. there must be a way...