LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

LS 460 door hinges defective--replaced twice

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-12, 07:04 AM
GregCon
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

The original SC's had door hinge issues big time.

You guys have to be a little more understanding of this sort of issue. With any part of a car, especially one that is a new technology, there is always going to be a learning curve. Car makers have only been making doors open on automobiles since the 1890's - I can guarantee you that they will have this down pat within the next 250 years, tops.
Old 07-03-12, 09:33 PM
Shibumi1
Lexus Champion

Received 84 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by evanob
Is everyone sure that the actual hinges are the problem and not just the tensioning device that stops the door at 1/4 open and 1/2 open?

100% theres a metal pin u can remove to test.. (i removed it an the door had the same problem) only when i replaced the hinge did it fix the prob.. i noticed the drivers door starting to stiffen after the nonstop rain last week..so i'm ordering the remaining 2 sets of door hinges and i'm just gonna drop it off to the body shop for a few days to replace the other 3 doors and be done with it once and for all....

door hinges never in all my years have i heard of such a thing.. (fyi on my Gs i added about 80lbs of mods to each door (speakers,crossovers,dynamat,wood,fiberglass,metal,vinyl,screws,etc) an never 1 issue with the hinge...

ah well such is life!!
Old 07-07-12, 12:10 AM
USLEX
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

My driver's side rear door has had this problem twice. The first time they replaced the hinge. The second they said it was the seal that was causing to not let the power door closers work. Hopefully the rest of the doors hold out. I think the warranty on my LS600 runs out in November and I am not sure if I will pay over $2K to get the Lexus Platinum Extended Warranty. Considering the cost of parts on my LS600, I think I may.

I should my add, car has about 21K miles and the most often used doors are in this order:

1. Driver
2. Passenger
2. Driver's side rear
4. Passeger's side rear

Last edited by USLEX; 07-07-12 at 01:10 AM.
Old 03-11-14, 08:59 PM
manyvices
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So it's almost been two years since the last post in regards to this but I thought I would share a similar experience I'm going through with my 2007 GS 350. 2 months ago I broke down and bought a set of hinges for the right rear door because it got to the point that you physically had to walk with the door to close it ($400 parts, labor, paint). I am now having a similar experience with the driver door and it's getting worse every month.

Any update on what you guys have seen/done?

Last edited by manyvices; 03-12-14 at 08:41 PM.
Old 03-17-14, 04:08 PM
Eleveniss
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2007 Lexus GS350 Door Hinges

We got the dealership to replace the hinges at no charge because we told them we were going to ask Lexus America. Our dealership contacted Lexus America for us and got the okay to replace them free of charge. That was probably two years ago and we haven't had a problem since. Crazy right? Door hinges--almost as basic as the steering wheel. They definitely know they have a problem but don't want to do a recall. I can understand why. If you handle it on a one-to-one basis, I think you will have the success I did with our dealership in East Hanover, NJ. They are the best!
Old 03-19-14, 08:41 AM
Chaos236
Intermediate

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

My passenger side was fixed at the dealer once and needs fixed again...07 85,000 mi
Old 05-12-15, 02:34 PM
JhnyMac
Driver School Candidate

Default Ls460 Defective door hinge

I own a 2007 Lexus Ls-460 that I bought brand new from dealership and I only put less than 15,000 miles on and the drivers side door hinge is defective. The dealership is telling me that the hinge is corroded and needs to be replaced. You can see that the area is clean and water never hits the area. Their is definitely a defect. Now that I see that I'm not the only person that has this problem, I think that a recall is in order. Someone is going to get hurt or even worse if this problem isn't fixed. I have never heard of any car that had a hinge rott especially from a luxury vehicle like a Lexus.
Old 05-18-15, 09:37 AM
Eleveniss
Driver School Candidate

Default Definitely not your fault

Originally Posted by JhnyMac
I own a 2007 Lexus Ls-460 that I bought brand new from dealership and I only put less than 15,000 miles on and the drivers side door hinge is defective. The dealership is telling me that the hinge is corroded and needs to be replaced. You can see that the area is clean and water never hits the area. Their is definitely a defect. Now that I see that I'm not the only person that has this problem, I think that a recall is in order. Someone is going to get hurt or even worse if this problem isn't fixed. I have never heard of any car that had a hinge rott especially from a luxury vehicle like a Lexus.
Lexus replaced my hinges at no charge, but I did have to have my local dealership request it. Corporate Lexus didn't give me any trouble at all, so they must be fully aware of this issue. My car had barely 40,000 miles on it when both the driver's and passenger's front door hinges failed.
Old 05-18-15, 12:41 PM
DiggerJim
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JhnyMac
I think that a recall is in order. Someone is going to get hurt or even worse if this problem isn't fixed.
While I agree that the door hinge is something pretty much as simple as a rock and ought not have an issue (although I did on the tailgate of my Jeep but that's not in the same price league), I'm not sure why someone will get hurt "or worse" and why it would require a safety recall.
Old 02-04-16, 02:13 PM
Tamikio
Driver School Candidate

Default My door hinge is frozen and ruining my car

I had to call corporate because my door hinge on my 2007 GS 250 Lexus (88,000 miles) is defective. I can't open my door without my door bending. The Lexus body shop had to remove my fender in order to open the door. It started being difficult to close, then the next thing I know I could barely open the door without things bending around the door. Terrible! This is defective and Lexus should be liable for this. I did a tad of research after having this issue. I am now speaking with the Lexus Corporate Office 1800-255-3987 about this issue and waiting on this decision. How is this not defective if the following people have the same complaint.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...6748-ls-460-do
or-hinges-defective-replaced-twice-2.html
-https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-3rd-gen-2006-2011/733391-2007-gs-350-
door-hinge-problem.html
-Door Hing Problems on Lexus GS 350
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...-question.html
-http://www.carproblemzoo.com/lexus/gs300/door-hinge-problems.php

All of those people are having the same issue...IT IS A defective part and Lexus should fix it. Period. Call the Corporate office and complain..that is what I am currently doing while my car sits at Lexus. I can't even open the door without the car being damage. The dealer said the hinge froze.
Old 02-04-16, 05:10 PM
Rhambler
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Good luck, hope they can get things right!

Wonder if I should grease anything lol?

Most moveable parts go under torture tests until failure. Of course, this is usually under a sterile and/or single or sometimes multiple-parameter environmental setting, however the test conditions can never truly replicate real-life usage.

For example, that door and handle was probably opened and closed continuously until failure by a machine designed to do just that, based on design parameters and an expected failure rate. They do this for the first designed part and often times at random samples throughout production. But again, these test conditions are pretty sterile, so who knows how they tested it, but someone signed off on it and gave their seal of approval.
Old 02-05-16, 12:24 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

Recalls are not going to cover door hinges. Lexus may however, repair as a good will gesture. Let us know how it goes. I remember big GM 2 doors (like Cutlass and Delta 88, etc) that had these issues, due to the sheer size and weight of the doors. No recall there either, since it's not a safety issue.
Old 09-27-16, 10:08 AM
Chaos236
Intermediate

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

Just did my drivers side replacement for the first time. 90,000 miles. $550.00 Painted installed.
Door works a lot smoother!

Last edited by Chaos236; 09-27-16 at 10:12 AM.
Old 09-27-16, 09:33 PM
xDe3JaYx
Driver School Candidate

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

The door hinges can be lubricated after drilling holes. Check post # 5 and 11 at the link below.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...e-problem.html
Old 02-28-18, 09:41 AM
GFXdznr
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Unhappy Feeling sad. This is supposed to be a premium vehicle.

Resurrecting an old thread as I am encountering this issue now with my driver door, and only the driver door. It has become much more difficult to open and close and will not swing itself shut without pushing it/walking it with my hand to make it latch.

So, after reading up a bunch on this thread as it has been really hard to find any other info elsewhere, are the hinges easily replaceable?

Or, could there be something to do with that tension arm/bar that connects from the body into the door? Is there anyway to check that or adjust it?

I also read the post on drilling into the hinge and spraying in lubricant. That makes me leery putting holes in things, especially if it is only a temporary fix.

It is pretty crazy to think a flagship model Lexus would have this issue. I ave never experience this on any other vehicle I have owned from Dodge to Chrysler or Chevy. Pretty disappointing.

I haven't contacted a dealer yet as truthfully I am afraid to hear of the repair cost for such a basic part, which will also need to be painted to match.

Quick Reply: LS 460 door hinges defective--replaced twice