LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

All this talk about wind noise...

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-10, 05:50 AM
jlawr
Lead Lap

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

There are sales managers, service managers, and other managers at dealership who get free rewards when they get enough "points" from customer satisfaction surveys.

Try to find someone at your dealership or another dealership that will help you. The only competent person I found at one dealership here in Dallas was my sales lady, but she had enough "pull" in the dealership to get things done and made this happens for me when it was necessary.

There are people who still take pride in potecting what Lexus is supposed to stand for.

I hope you'll take the time to find those people and get your problem solved.

Good Luck.
Old 03-06-10, 10:07 AM
MikeE12345
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Has anyone with a 2010 LS460 experienced any wind noise problem yet. It may be only a matter of time till someone does but it would be interesting to see of the current manufacturing model still has the same problem as the 2007!
Old 03-06-10, 01:05 PM
jlawr
Lead Lap

Attached are the latest iterations for TSiB's for the WIND NOISE FIX from Lexus. Doesn't seem like there's anything new, but you can update your dealer if necessary:

L-SB-0020-10 Wind Noise From Front Side Window Area At Highway Speed (too big to upload) and
Old 03-06-10, 01:23 PM
Synergy
Northern California Regional Officer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jmcraney
You didn’t tell us much about your noise problem such as the conditions when it occurs. At what speed does it happen? What about the weather conditions such as wind speed, wind direction, temperature, etc.
Sorry, let me be more specific. I only hear the wind noise on the drivers side, and it begins to occur at about 50MPH. The wind direction doesn't seem to impact the noise as once I am traveling at 50 MPH the noise begins and boy is it annoying!

Originally Posted by jmcraney
I haven’t tried this but I think the analogy is correct. Let’s say you lower your driver’s side window while you are driving, say 60 MPH, and you fold your driver’s side mirror in and out and note the difference is sound. I expect it would have less noise when it is folded in.

If you repeat this test, with the window up, in a car with good noise isolation characteristics you would expect to see that the mirror is going in and out in a more ghostly fashion.
Yes, I have tried this and the noise is virtually gone when the mirror is folded in. I also tired verifying that your triangle fix is properly attached and yes it sure is...your directions were very good and the process is simple. I believe I may try and plug the drain hole on the mirror and see what that does. I expect that the mirror is defective as I surely don't have the same issue on the passenger side. Hmmmm
Old 03-06-10, 02:10 PM
jmcraney

Received 254 Likes on 194 Posts

Sounds like your mirror might be defective. I did see a report about a mirror that was loose at the pivot point. As well as I remember Lexus would not help with that.

If you exhaust all possibilities with the mirror here is something else that you can try to evaluate the noise isolation by comparing sides. Since you have a good side - your passenger side is quiet - this test should work for you. You might need to get someone to help you so that you can sit in the back and lean forward between the seats to listen.

This is a test, using passing traffic as a test source, to decide if the “noise isolation” is as good as it should be. Noise isolation is what protects us from the sounds that are occurring outside the car, and they include the sounds of passing vehicles, the sound that the air makes as we displace it with our car, the sounds that the tires of our car make as they pass over the road surface, the sound of air colliding as a result of the large vehicles ahead of us (akin to wake turbulence that airplanes encounter), rain and water sounds (but not rain drops colliding directly with the car – that’s a different sort or problem), etc. To decide if the noise isolation is adequate we need to drive down the magical “smooth road” - find a road with a very smooth surface - and let an average car (not exceptionally noisy or exceptionally quiet) overtake you – you should test both sides – and see how you perceive that. If things are up to par, that passing car should just slide by unnoticed. And if it slides by unnoticed you could probably safely say that you don’t have a noise isolation problem.

My car was so bad for this test that I could easily tell when cars were overtaking me, I could sort of feel them. Now I have a sort of dangerous situation because passing cars go by and I never hear anything.

Please keep us posted on your progress.

And, good luck!!
Old 03-06-10, 05:22 PM
IndyJeff
Rookie

Originally Posted by MikeE12345
Has anyone with a 2010 LS460 experienced any wind noise problem yet. It may be only a matter of time till someone does but it would be interesting to see of the current manufacturing model still has the same problem as the 2007!
My 2007 SWB 460 had it - my 2010 SWB (AWD) does not.

Jeff
Old 03-08-10, 10:40 PM
jstjohnz
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Just noticed there are some fairly recent noise-related TSIBs:

Wind Noise From Front Side Window Area At Highway Speed Feb 2010 L-SB-0020-10
Front Window Glass Run Deformation Wind Noise Jan 2010 L-SB-0007-10

And there is an older one for mirror-related noise:
Wind Noise From Mirror Base L-NV003-07
Old 03-09-10, 05:49 AM
jlawr
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by jstjohnz
Just noticed there are some fairly recent noise-related TSIBs:

Wind Noise From Front Side Window Area At Highway Speed Feb 2010 L-SB-0020-10
Front Window Glass Run Deformation Wind Noise Jan 2010 L-SB-0007-10

And there is an older one for mirror-related noise:
Wind Noise From Mirror Base L-NV003-07
Did you notice post #18 in this tread?
Old 03-09-10, 11:25 AM
ls460love
Driver

So has anyone had the TSiB peformed for the faulty window run?
Old 03-09-10, 04:29 PM
lexier
Driver School Candidate

Is this TBIS L-SB-0007-10 for the Glass Run Deformation supposed to correct the problem
that some of us have? My wind noise goes away only if I "tap" down the window from it's full closed position.
Old 04-03-10, 04:32 AM
mmorozov
Driver

My 2007 LS 460 didn't have any noise until 22K miles at which point I began to hear a whistling noise at 40-50 mph coming from the driver side window. The dealer replaced the window seal but it didn't help. After that they replaced the mirror unit and it took care of the problem. No one knows why the mirror started to whistle. It wasn't any different from the one they replaced it with.
Old 04-03-10, 09:33 AM
Synergy
Northern California Regional Officer

Originally Posted by mmorozov
My 2007 LS 460 didn't have any noise until 22K miles at which point I began to hear a whistling noise at 40-50 mph coming from the driver side window. The dealer replaced the window seal but it didn't help. After that they replaced the mirror unit and it took care of the problem. No one knows why the mirror started to whistle. It wasn't any different from the one they replaced it with.
This is my EXACT problem, I hope my dealer replaces my mirror as well. The whistle is absolutely coming from my drivers side mirror. UGH
Old 04-15-10, 09:46 AM
wsteiner
Driver School Candidate

Looks like there are two threads on wind noise so I'll do the post twice.

got my 07 LS about a month ago and noticed it had wind noise. Tried the JMCraney triangle fix and it did not work - sigh. Took it in for all the tsib fixes. They replaced the driver/passenger windows with lamisafe glass. Injected some foam in the front upper side of the doors, replaced the weather stripping around the door and replaced the seals on the two windshield pillars for cross wind. There is this tech at lexus of orlando (Jim) who has been fixing wind noise for three years and is apparently the "go to guy". They said the triangle fix does not work which confused me because I read that is has worked for so many. They took the triangle fix that I put on off, and said it makes the black triangle stick out too far. They did not touch the mirror so I put a bead of clear silicon adhesive in the crevice between the mirrors and the doors. Don't hear any wind noise now till about 80 MPH.
Old 04-20-10, 08:42 PM
USCRugby
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I took my LS to the dealership and told them to FIX IT! Will keep you updated on progress!
Old 06-02-13, 05:03 PM
Hmfiii
Driver School Candidate

What is the jmcraney fix?

Quick Reply: All this talk about wind noise...