LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Starting engine without foot on brake pedal

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-10, 05:18 PM
LS2k
Intermediate

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Did a search but couldn't find something about the "3-second emergency stop" -- could you please elaborate on that?
Old 02-14-10, 06:04 PM
Johnny
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

If your car should ever experience a runaway condition (uncontrolled acceleration), a 3-second press of the Start button will kill the engine. You could also put the transmission in neutral first, as killing the engine will make it difficult to stop the car (disabled brakes & steering), whereas coasting in neutral will at least maintain brake/steering control until you pull over to a safe spot and then kill the engine.

After killing the engine, the ECU may reset itself, and allow to return to normal driving...
Old 02-14-10, 06:42 PM
jstjohnz
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Burnaby
If your car should ever experience a runaway condition (uncontrolled acceleration), a 3-second press of the Start button will kill the engine. You could also put the transmission in neutral first, as killing the engine will make it difficult to stop the car (disabled brakes & steering), whereas coasting in neutral will at least maintain brake/steering control until you pull over to a safe spot and then kill the engine.

After killing the engine, the ECU may reset itself, and allow to return to normal driving...
I'm thinking a change of shorts might be necessary before returning to normal driving...
Old 02-20-10, 08:41 PM
LS2k
Intermediate

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Thank you Burnaby, i didn't know about that!
Old 11-21-12, 08:45 AM
escapedcon
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

very nice trick. thanks for the tip, OP!

though 5 seconds would be better then 15...anyway the dealer can change that?
Old 11-21-12, 09:15 AM
adamls2
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Haha, nice thread revision. One that I actually benefited from Nice trick to know!
Old 11-21-12, 09:26 PM
PRSUIT460
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Neat tip, thanks!
Old 11-25-12, 07:26 AM
WhitBaby
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jstjohnz
Requiring that the brake pedal be depressed in order to start the engine can be a nuisance, say if the driver is out of the vehicle and the passenger wants to start the engine to run the A/C, etc.

I think Lexus did that in case someone sneaked into your garage and put a stick shift tranny in your car and it was parked in gear.

;->
Old 11-25-12, 12:30 PM
whitetooth
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by WhitBaby
I think Lexus did that in case someone sneaked into your garage and put a stick shift tranny in your car and it was parked in gear.

;->
They made it for peg-leg owners and those with blonde wifes.
Old 08-09-18, 05:05 PM
BigMau
Rookie

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

This is an old threat but GREAT. I happened upon it remembered. With our recent fires and smoke it was hot, windy, and miserable with all the smoke. My wife got in the passenger side of our LS thinking that baking inside was better than outside. [I was tied up for a few minutes before I could get out and start the car.] I told her about this and she LOVED it.
THANKS a bunch!
Old 08-11-18, 04:58 PM
DavidinCT
Racer

Received 195 Likes on 147 Posts

Thanks, for bumping this, Didn't know this, thanks
Old 08-12-18, 10:14 AM
BigMau
Rookie

BTW, CORRECTION_ edit- IT WILL START if bone head sitting in driver's seat remembers to FIRST push the Start Button and then AGAIN & HOLD IT. ----- I discovered that it WON'T work if someone is sitting in the driver's seat. I was removing the sunshade and stowing it away- hot inside-.. asked my wife to start it and ... nothing. Then I realized it senses me behind the wheel and won't play the game.

I also confess that I hate having to press the brake pedal to engage the starter. My wife ususally drives our Infiniti and every time I fire it up I find myself wishing I could do this with the LS.
============

Last, I'm trying to imagine a STUCK THROTTLE at super high speeds..... and trying to somehow remember to jam my finger in the START button and hold it long enough to kill the engine. This sounds simple but if you have experience with emergency conditions you will appreciate how borderline impossible this would be to remember...and do! People tend to panic and these accelerate hard enough at highway speeds that I promise it WILL be a panic situation. I would probably go for -ONE HEAVY brake application. Mine has Brembos and I feel certain they would stop the car. DO NOT try to slow it -but stop it. There was a notorious, sad, and fatal accident a few years ago where a CHP officer was driving a Lexus in this situation. He burned out the brakes and ended up in a triple digit collision with all deceased. RIP.

I was surprised with his highway experience that he didn't shove it into neutral. I recommend shoving it into neutral with this unlikely situation. One major problem here is that to be effective you really should have practiced what you do in an emergency a few times. I can't imagine the over-rev protection for our engines not being adequate to protect the engine. Worst case, you blow it up. That's a pretty good alternative to what can happen otherwise. I'm not saying this lightly. I've done driver training for a major police department, SCCA racers, and have a fairly serious SCCA racing background. I'm not trying to impress anyone but insure you understand I have a clue what I am saying. I still remember in a race at Sears Point I was out braking someone into the last turn -a big U turn- where people crashed into the tires/wall regularly. We always laughed when that happened. How could someone be so dumb to just lock the brakes and ram into the wall?! Well, when you are going 100+ and instead of threshold braking [absolute maximum stopping ability] you lock the brakes and actually feel the car SPEED UP!! YIkes. In an instant you have to force yourself to let off the brakes enough to stop sliding AND instantantly try to get back to effective braking and NOT hit that rapidly approaching wall. Believe me, this is a PANIC situation and NOT easy.. I'm happy to report that I didn't hit the wall. In fact, my antics were such that the guy I was trying to out brake moved so far off line and out of the way that I was actually able to sort things out, point it in the right direction, and GO again.. ahead of him. Since I got away with it, the situation was one heck of a great laugh. But don't think I wasn't lucky that I didn't end up with a very bent race car.

Stay safe!

Last edited by BigMau; 08-14-18 at 12:57 PM. Reason: BONE HEAD INCORRECT INFORMATION POSTED- want to correct it
The following users liked this post:
jdanielca (08-12-18)
Old 08-13-18, 08:59 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts

BTW, it does work on my 2017 also. And it does work if somebody is sitting in the drivers seat.
Old 08-14-18, 09:48 AM
BigMau
Rookie

SW17OS: Very interesting that Lexus is allowing you use that start method from the driver's seat. Nice. I would have expected further nannies.
Old 08-14-18, 12:00 PM
Oliver Enterprises
Former Sponsor

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts

Worked for me this morning from the driver's seat. I counted, it seemed more like 20 seconds.

Quick Reply: Starting engine without foot on brake pedal