LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

2008 LS 460 engine acceleration problems

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-10, 09:53 AM
mkhp36a
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2008 LS 460 engine acceleration problems

Since we purchased the car we've been having problems with the transmission or acceleration, when the car is shifting from park to drive engine speed RPM goes up and it is difficult to stop the car from driving. The dealer does not know what to do and the factory support is useless. Any comments or similar problems ? Kind of concern reading about all the software and electronic issues they are having, I'm surprised that there is no recall on the LS models !!
Old 02-04-10, 10:02 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by mkhp36a
Since we purchased the car we've been having problems with the transmission or acceleration, when the car is shifting from park to drive engine speed RPM goes up and it is difficult to stop the car from driving. The dealer does not know what to do and the factory support is useless. Any comments or similar problems ? Kind of concern reading about all the software and electronic issues they are having, I'm surprised that there is no recall on the LS models !!
can't recall reading something similar, but have you tried another dealership and also call lexus corp for more support / attention?

good luck!
Old 02-04-10, 10:40 AM
mkhp36a
Driver School Candidate

tried all and they are totally useless, they've keep saying nothing is wrong with the car etc. (sounds like a Toyota directive), this is my 3rd and last Lexus (LS400, SC430).They've changed on how they treat their clients.
Old 02-04-10, 12:16 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

Have you tried going to another dealership? There are several here in CA.

If you're not getting any assistance, contact Lexus customer care and they could possibly look into your situation. 800-25-LEXUS.
Old 02-04-10, 12:44 PM
Johnny
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Sorry Bud, but you're sounding a little defeatist. From your very limited description, I find it hard to believe your dealer or Lexus would have treated you that way. If you could be more specific here about your issues, we would try and help you, but slamming Toyota/Lexus the way you are just airs your frustration, and doesn't provide anyone with any way to discuss your situation. There are some highly skilled members here who would need a lot more than what you have posted so far...
Old 02-04-10, 01:42 PM
mkhp36a
Driver School Candidate

As I mentioned I've owned 3 of them (still do 2, purchase them new!) The issues I'm descibing are intermittent so it is very difficult to pinpoint and show them to the dealer, my personal feeling is that has something to do either with the transmission (which they did upgrade the software with no noticable change) or the electronics. The Lexus CS was suppose to send a factory rep to evaluate the issues since December, I just found out that they will be coming toward the end of February, sorry to disappoint you but in the past they were more responsive and helpfull, I guess too many cars out there. Anyone out there sharing my experience ??
Old 02-04-10, 01:50 PM
jstjohnz
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mkhp36a
As I mentioned I've owned 3 of them (still do 2, purchase them new!) The issues I'm descibing are intermittent so it is very difficult to pinpoint and show them to the dealer, my personal feeling is that has something to do either with the transmission (which they did upgrade the software with no noticable change) or the electronics. The Lexus CS was suppose to send a factory rep to evaluate the issues since December, I just found out that they will be coming toward the end of February, sorry to disappoint you but in the past they were more responsive and helpfull, I guess too many cars out there. Anyone out there sharing my experience ??
I'm still not real clear on your symptoms. Are you saying that when you shift from P to Drive, the engine RPM jumps up[ to higher than normal idle RPM and stays there? What RPM are you seeing in drive with the vehicle stopped? Does it go away on it's own or does it persist until you turn the engine off?
Old 02-04-10, 02:54 PM
Nospinzone

Received 407 Likes on 315 Posts

I'm surprised that there is no recall on the LS models !!

I don't remember any similar problem being described here or on the Lexus Owners Club site. I don't think they would do a recall for a problem apparently isolated to one car.
Old 02-05-10, 07:15 AM
USCRugby
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

We need to find out. If the same gas pedals was used in those models as our LS's

Last edited by USCRugby; 02-05-10 at 11:09 PM.
Old 02-05-10, 09:01 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

the recalled vehicles have gas pedals that are hanging type from the top. the ls ones are different (just like gs and is), it's at the floor. they are completely different
Old 02-05-10, 10:06 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

Actually the only cars that use the LS style, floor hinged (I like to call it the bus gas pedal) pedal is the GS430/460, GS450h and GS350 RWD.

Just to clarify, the LS is not included in the gas pedal recall.
Old 02-05-10, 10:26 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by flipside909
Actually the only cars that use the LS style, floor hinged (I like to call it the bus gas pedal) pedal is the GS430/460, GS450h and GS350 RWD.

Just to clarify, the LS is not included in the gas pedal recall.
oh the is has the pedal from the top?
Old 02-05-10, 11:38 AM
mkhp36a
Driver School Candidate

Let me try to be more specific on these issues;
1. Sometimes while driving the car and making regular stops due for one reason or another (engine is running) the engine will start to idle very rough like wants to continue to drive, you really have to brake very hard. Sometimes the opposite will occur and the engine feels like is going to die.
2. Sometimes when shifting from park to drive the engine speed tends to go up and you need to assure your foot is on the brake so it will not accelerate and cause an accident, this has happened on and off several times.
The dealer originally thought that it was transmission related, so they upgraded the software no significant change was observed.
3. Another note , in the morning when we turn on the engineit makes noise (different that the regular, runs rough and after 5 min. or so goes away), yes the car is garaged.
Anyway it is very frustrating. When we see the factory rep in 2 weeks we may or may not learn anything new, just reading what is going on looks like there are some issues with the electronics and software that are not disclosed to the public.
Old 02-05-10, 01:09 PM
jmcraney

Received 255 Likes on 195 Posts

mkhp36a,

I follow very closely three of the most popular LS460/600 forums, watching for wind noise reports which I have a special interest in. I read every post and have been doing this for about two years and have never seen any mention of anything like you are experiencing. If there is a latent problem causing the symptoms that you are experiencing yours would be one of the first reports. Since we are not seeing other reports like yours, and it is very likely we would see them in these forums if it was a wide spread problem, it is likely the problem you are experiencing is being caused by a component failure and not some inherent design defect. I suggest that you gather as much information as you can regarding the symptoms and present it to your dealership service representative in writing. Or, you might try dictating your observations to a CD and present it to your service rep.
Old 02-05-10, 01:56 PM
MikeE12345
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jmcraney
mkhp36a,

I follow very closely three of the most popular LS460/600 forums, watching for wind noise reports which I have a special interest in. I read every post and have been doing this for about two years and have never seen any mention of anything like you are experiencing. If there is a latent problem causing the symptoms that you are experiencing yours would be one of the first reports. Since we are not seeing other reports like yours, and it is very likely we would see them in these forums if it was a wide spread problem, it is likely the problem you are experiencing is being caused by a component failure and not some inherent design defect. I suggest that you gather as much information as you can regarding the symptoms and present it to your dealership service representative in writing. Or, you might try dictating your observations to a CD and present it to your service rep.
jmcraney,
I have been quietly lurking around this forum for several months informing myself about the LS460. I also check in regularly with the Lexus Owners Club. I have found that the Club Lexus forum is the most active and interesting. Would you share with me the URLs of any other forums you would recommend visiting on occasion. I will be purchasing an LS460 near the end of this year or early 2011 and can’t wait. It will be a nice upgrade from my current 2000 Acura TL that has done very well for me.

Thanks

Quick Reply: 2008 LS 460 engine acceleration problems