LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Home Link issue...

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-09, 08:06 PM
melymel96
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Home Link issue...

So I live in a gated condo community. So I have a gate to get in to the community and my garage door. I'm able to get my garage door to work with home link by putting my garage door in learning mode or whatever.

My issue is I cant get the home link to open up the gate to the community. I hold down the home link button...it blinks slow...press the button on the remote and then the home link light starts to blink fast which tells me it accepted the code, however it never opens the gate.

I've also held down buttons 1 & 3 to clear the codes and tried again...no dice. Anybody have any suggestions?

The homelink in my GS400 opens both the gate and the garage so I'm really confused here....

Thanks
Old 11-19-09, 10:23 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

somehow it seems to me that the community gate has a rolling codes so you need to train with the gate opener as well

but then you said the gs400 was ok, so that's an unknown
Old 11-19-09, 10:29 PM
melymel96
Intermediate

Yeah thats what's throwing me off is that the GS400 works with no issue.
Old 11-20-09, 02:14 PM
Craig B

Received 53 Likes on 37 Posts

When I first received my LS 460, the dealer had to replace my home link unit. I think there was a service bulletin at one time.

Craig
Old 11-20-09, 04:25 PM
jmcraney

Received 254 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by melymel96
Yeah thats what's throwing me off is that the GS400 works with no issue.
You're not telling us everything we need to know. Did your GS400 come with your house? It is unlikely that your GS400 was able to open your gate without some sort of collaboration with your gate security administrator. Typically, with these type systems, you have to work with your gate administrator to teach your gate opener about your car code, sort of like putting your garage door opener in the learn mode so that it can learn your car's code.
Old 11-20-09, 04:40 PM
Johnny
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

I agree with JMc; rolling code transceivers must transmit a code in order for the two devices (gate opener & Homelink) to handshake. This can only be accomplished when the transmit code is broadcast temporarily from the gate opener.
Old 11-20-09, 05:04 PM
jmcraney

Burnaby,

It is my understanding that there is no broadcast (transmission) from anything other than the car. The car can't receive and the gate can't broadcast (transmit). A different code is sent each time the car broadcasts. Synchronization is accomplished by telling the gate that the code the car is sending is valid and from then on the car is recognized by the gate controller predicting the next code, actually the next 256 codes, that the car will send.
Old 11-20-09, 07:34 PM
Johnny
Pole Position

My statement referred to the initial synchronization of the two devices, and could have been worded better. The code hops or rolls every time the two devices connect. Nevertheless, I found this text on Wikipedia which gives a good description of the four systems as they have evolved to increase security.

Thanks JMc!
The first garage door opener remote controls were simple and consisted of a simple transmitter (the remote) and receiver which controlled the opener mechanism. The transmitter would transmit on a designated frequency; the receiver would listen for the radio signal, then open or close the garage, depending on the door position. The basic concept of this can be traced back to World War II. This type of system was used to detonate remote bombs. While novel at the time, the technology ran its course when garage door openers became widely available and used. Then, not only did a person open their garage door, they opened their neighbor’s garage door as well. While the garage door remote is low in power and in range, it was powerful enough to interfere with other receivers in the area.

The second stage of the wireless garage door opener system deals with the shared frequency problem. To rectify this, systems required a garage door owner to preset a digital code via dip switches on the receiver and transmitter. While these switches provided garage door systems with 2^8 = 256 different codes they were not designed with high security in mind; the main intent was to avoid interference with similar systems nearby.

The third stage of garage door opener market uses a frequency spectrum range between 300-400 MHz and most of the transmitter/receivers rely on hopping or rolling code technology. This approach prevents perpetrators from recording a code and replaying it to open a garage door. Since the signal is supposed to be significantly different from that of any other garage door remote control, manufacturers claim it is impossible for someone other than the owner of the remote to open the garage. When the transmitter sends a code, it generates a new code using an encoder. The receiver, after receiving a correct code, uses the same encoder with the same original seed to generate a new code that it will accept in the future. Because there is a high probability that someone might accidentally push the open button while not in range and desynchronize the code, the transmitter and receiver generate look-a-head codes ahead of time.

The fourth stage of garage door opener systems is similar to third stage, but it is limited to the 315 MHz frequency. The 315 MHz frequency range avoids interference from the Land Mobile Radio System (LMRS) used by the U.S. military.
Old 11-20-09, 08:31 PM
jmcraney

If you have a desire for a deeper understanding of wireless/keyless remote controls, check this out:

http://focus.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/trc1300.pdf
Old 11-20-09, 08:47 PM
Johnny
Pole Position

Thanks, I actually enjoy reading wiring diagrams. While my training was primarily in mechanical engineering, I dabbled quite a bit on the electrical/electronic side as well. Multi-years at P&H... And don't get me started on the joys of programming, my secret forbidden pleasure...

That link will make excellent bedside reading!
Old 11-20-09, 09:53 PM
melymel96
Intermediate

Thanks for all the responses guys. I actually just moved into this community in July. I did not work with anybody for programming the community gate code. For my GS400 all I did was hold down the home link button...once it started flashing slowly I pressed the button on the remote for the gate and the home link light start blinking quickly. Then it was programmed and always opened the gate.

The only time I had to do the extra step was for my actual garage when I had to put the garage door in learning mode.

Even my parents live in a gated community and I took their remote and programmed it on my 3rd button in my GS400 and never had to work with the gate manufacturer.

Very odd!!! Does this help answer your questions on more info? I'm still wondering why it's not working.

I do know there was TSB about the LS460 and its home link so maybe this is part of the issue...who know's.
Old 11-21-09, 05:25 AM
jmcraney

Now I understand what you have. For your gate controller, your car must learn your gate code from your handheld gate remote control.

Here is what you need to do.

You don't need to do this is the presence of your gate.

On your HomeLink, depress and hold the button that you want to use to open the gate while you watch the indicator on the HomeLink flash. While you are holding the button down on the HomeLink, hold your handheld gate remote control near the HomeLink - an inch or two away - and cycle your handheld remote, on and off, until the HomeLink indicator starts flashing faster. When the indicator starts flashing faster you should be done.

If this doesn't work you will have to erase your HomeLink and start over. To erase your HomeLink you need to hold down the two outside buttons continuously - about 30 seconds - until the indicators start flashing. When you do this you will have to reprogram the other two buttons too. If you sell your car your should always go through this erase procedure to be sure that you don't have unexpected visitors.

Last edited by jmcraney; 11-21-09 at 05:31 AM. Reason: added additional comment
Old 11-21-09, 07:43 AM
melymel96
Intermediate

J..

Thats what I did. I held down button one...it flashed slowly I then held down the button on my gate opener and the home link light started flashing faster which tells me it accpeted the code however the home link never opens my gate.

I have also tried resetting all the homelink buttons and doing it again...still no luck.
Old 11-21-09, 09:25 AM
jmcraney

Have your erased the HomeLink memory by holding down the #1 and #3 buttons simultaneously for 30 seconds?

If you want to use the #1 button for your gate and the previous owner used it for a rolling code garage opener you will have to erase the HomeLink memory because a button can not be reprogramed for a different technology.

After you have erased the HomeLink memory any other buttons that were programed will no longer work.

For your garage door opener you will have to retrain your car about the garage door technology by holding the garage door remote near the HomeLink and hold the button on the HomeLink down and operate the garage door remote until it the indicator starts flashing faster. And then you will have to get your garage door opener to recognize your car by putting the garage door opener in the learn mode.

This might be a good time to erase your garage door opener. Of course any other vehicles that you want to have access to your garage will have to be relearned by your garage door opener. But the one that you just sold will no longer have access.

This is all sort of daunting, but I know you can do it and I will help you.
Old 11-21-09, 12:00 PM
melymel96
Intermediate

J...I did erase the homelink memory by holding down 1&3. I will do it again though and give it a shot and let you know what happens.

Thanks.

Quick Reply: Home Link issue...