LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H
View Poll Results: Regular, Mid-Grade, or Premium?
Regular
10.00%
Mid-Grade
0%
Premium
90.00%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Gas: Premium vs. Regular advantages, disadvantages (merged threads)

Old 06-12-14, 09:58 AM
peteybabes
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm sorry, maybe i've jumped in a little deep here, but i know that on my previous car (LS430) that this was not the case, and was told by a local shop that the fuel delivery components would have to be modified.

From what i understand as well, this fuel would need a different engine program/tune, and that E85 is usually combined with a high compression engine.

When you say you know guys who are using it, do you mean on an LS460??
Old 06-12-14, 10:31 AM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 85 Posts

Higher octane fuel allows a higher compression level before knock occurs. Once you determine the octane level that prevents knock occurance, using any fuel with increased octane level has no effect on increasing engine performance. You would have to increase the engine compression level to have any additional performance, i.e., rework the engine to have a higher compression.
Old 06-12-14, 10:41 AM
LexFather

Wow 29k views on using gas for a flagship LS. Mind blown Over the years here we have had every gas thread possible and there is never an end, just people backing their thoughts on regular vs premium. The battle wages

No matter what you use, the V-8 guzzles, that is for sure!

Last edited by LexFather; 06-12-14 at 10:45 AM.
Old 06-12-14, 10:55 AM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 292 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by lbintab
So where would we run into a problem with the 460 fuel system? I don't see lexus using metals that aren't stainless steal in the fuel system.
Most all automobile manufacturers recommend against using E85 (unless the car is a Flex-Fuel car). Don't know why, but it's there in the owner's manuals. Originally, ethanol was frowned upon because it degraded rubber fuel lines (mostly in boats, lawnmowers, etc) and absorbed water (in engines that sat without use for long periods of time). Being a boat owner, I know that the majority of boats built over the last 10-12 years can now use gas containing up to 10% ethanol, but not 15%. Go figure.
Old 06-12-14, 06:00 PM
lbintab
Lexus Test Driver

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by peteybabes
I'm sorry, maybe i've jumped in a little deep here, but i know that on my previous car (LS430) that this was not the case, and was told by a local shop that the fuel delivery components would have to be modified.

From what i understand as well, this fuel would need a different engine program/tune, and that E85 is usually combined with a high compression engine.

When you say you know guys who are using it, do you mean on an LS460??
I'm talking about performance guys using it on cars that are older and less technologically advanced cars. Cars that would probably succumb to corrosion of it's fuel system but none of them have had any ill effects. Brazil is a country where there are over 10 million cars that run on e85. Majority are cars that didn't come from the factory with the ability to run e85...what did they do so they could run it.
Old 06-12-14, 07:33 PM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by LexFather
Wow 29k views on using gas for a flagship LS. Mind blown Over the years here we have had every gas thread possible and there is never an end, just people backing their thoughts on regular vs premium. The battle wages

No matter what you use, the V-8 guzzles, that is for sure!
true, true... she can be quite a lush.
Old 06-13-14, 05:24 AM
Persocon
Driver

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

at 12:1 compression ratio (technically 11.8:1) I won't even bother with it and put in premium, even though I'm at high altitude where gas starts at 85 octane and is ok for normal non-premium vehicles (87 required) to run 85 because of lower atmospheric pressure.

It's not about which octane is a better gasoline, it's about letting the engine perform as it was designed. Yes the engine does have revisions in place to run lower octane fine, but I would rather those systems be inactive and allow it to operate as designed.

don't get confused by the octane number, they mean the opposite. lower octane gasoline has actually more energy, hence why it is more prone to detonation (fuel exploding prior to spark plugs light off = wrong time for ignition), but it does not mean you get more power running lower octane. More power is harnessed by increasing engine compression ratio (either with increased piston stroke or forced induction).

Last edited by Persocon; 06-13-14 at 05:43 AM.
Old 06-13-14, 05:37 AM
peteybabes
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You should have posted that response in the combined fuel thread Persocon, but supporting some of the ideas of E85 ethanol fuel, Koenigsegg's website speaks to this on their CCXR: "When running on petrol, the 4.7 liter twin-supercharged Koenigsegg engine delivers 806 Bhp. This already-impressive figure rises to an exhilarating 1018 Bhp when the car is run on E85 Biofuel."

Old 06-13-14, 08:27 PM
BillCarson
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default For what it's worth

For what it's worth, my wife and I attended sort of a new car seminar at the Santa Fe, NM dealer recently as we have bought a new 2014 LS460L and a new 2014 RX350. When we walked into the work bay area they had a guy there to discuss gas. He specifically stated that it was OK to use regular gas at our altitude (about 7,000). Regular octane in Santa Fe is 86. We were both shocked, expecting that he'd tell us tell us premium or 93 octane. He said you just don't need the high octane at our altitude. He did suggest that we buy premium on a planned road trip to Texas. So we started with 86 octane and then topped off the tank with 93 octane in Amarillo and for the rest of our Texas trip. All I can say is, both our cars work fine on 86 octane in Santa Fe.

As an aside, he also said that Sam's Club sell crappy quality gas. He had for display several clear containers of locally purchased gas. The Sam's Club one supposedly didn't look so great. I have bought Sam's Club gas for my Chevy trucks for many years and never had a problem. So now we don't hesitate to buy Sam's Club 86 octane. I'm not representing myself as any sort of knowledgeable person but both car seem to operate the same whether we use premium or 86 octane.
Old 06-14-14, 01:26 PM
RandyV
Advanced

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Premium only for me.
Old 06-14-14, 04:15 PM
williakz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Nothing but 87 whether it likes it or not. I've run the numbers; premium is a waste of money for performance rarely if ever used.
Old 07-02-14, 09:02 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 292 Likes on 257 Posts

Thanks everyone. So it looks like the consensus from an admittedly small (and possibly biased) sample is 10% regular, 90% premium. I've been through half a dozen tankfulls of regular since starting this poll. Everything seems fine; hint of lightly worse gas consumption but will need more miles to confirm.
Old 07-02-14, 09:22 PM
CJITTY

Received 146 Likes on 109 Posts

Kills me that these cheap azz folks buy a premiun car that calls for premium fuel and they want to save a couple bucks with cheaper fuel...comical. I wonder if these same folks rub their tree air freshner on their $45 suit for cologne too..you know..cuz its cheaper
Old 07-03-14, 06:31 AM
RodT
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CJITTY
Kills me that these cheap azz folks buy a premiun car that calls for premium fuel and they want to save a couple bucks with cheaper fuel...comical. I wonder if these same folks rub their tree air freshner on their $45 suit for cologne too..you know..cuz its cheaper
lmaooo this is too funny but i feel ya, its simple premium vehicle=premium fuel,its a 1:1 ratio
Old 07-03-14, 04:37 PM
pmiller
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As my wife says....you gotta pay to play. Always use premium. Stop being a tight wad!!!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Gas: Premium vs. Regular advantages, disadvantages (merged threads)