LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Windows and moon roof opened by themselves

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-15, 10:31 PM
dlbuckls10
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts

It happen to most 460 owners by accidents. The first it happened to me I didn't know my 460 had this feature. My fob was in my pocket and somehow the sunroof and windows partially open. So I had to check my manual to see what cause this to happen. Now I know why.
Old 09-26-15, 07:34 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

I realize we risk reviving a VERY old thread, but it sure would be nice if I could CLOSE the same windows from said FOB.
Old 10-26-15, 08:39 PM
SparkLex
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, this happened to me tonight on my recently purchased 2009 IS250. I thought the car was possessed, a few days short of Halloween!

So after all this time, what's the consensus? Is this always an accidental fob-push? Car-electronics glitch? Would having the dealer defeat this (mysteriously stupid) function in my fob prevent all further occurrences?

Thanks,
Karl
Old 01-30-17, 11:48 PM
man0fsteel
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Same thing has been happening and some observations...

I've come out to my car a number of times within the last few weeks and just like the OP, all windows and moonroof were open on my 2007 GS450H. In fact, it just happened 2 times last night 5 minutes apart! I saw they were down so I rolled up the windows and moonroof myself, then set the keys down, then heard the car go 'Beep Beep' and they all opened up again so I KNOW it wasn't me pressing the key fob unlock button by accident as both fobs were on the counter. When this first started happening, I thought it might be a weak battery in one of the 2 fobs so I replaced them so I know it's not caused by a weak battery either.

I did read on another site that unlocking and locking the door manually can help. As you may know, holding the physical key in the door handle in the open position will open all windows and moonroof. The other expert said it's possible the actuator in the door handle is sticking in that position.

So I turned the key a few times in the door lock back and forth and let it sit over night. This morning, everything was shut. But upon coming home tonight and locking the doors with the remote, I again heard the 'beep beep' from the car and the windows/moon roof were open. I did notice as this was happening, the remote key fob light was flashing and I DEFINITELY didn't touch it. So I figured it must be the key fob causing the problem. So I took the battery out of the offending fob. But now here's the new twist. When I went out to roll up the windows, the front passenger window would roll up, hit the top, then go down half way. I could not get it to stay rolled up unless I left it open a tiny crack. As soon as it rolled up all the way, down it came, even when holding the window control in the 'up' position. Grrrr.

If the windows and moon roof stop rolling down, I'm going to say it's the fob.

Anyone know about the passenger window not staying up?
Old 01-31-17, 01:45 PM
enoch861
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Pinch sensor on the passenger window is being activated. After it activates and opens halfway, you should be able to close it back up fully without it opening halfway again as the pinch sensor is deactivated and one touch close is also deactivated. I believe the pinch sensor is deactivated until you fully open the window and then fully close it to reset it otherwise things like one touch close won't work.
Old 01-31-17, 02:06 PM
jmcraney

Received 254 Likes on 194 Posts

I think you are on the right track with suspecting the wireless remote key is defective as to the phantom moonroof and windows operation. And the only practical solution may be to replace it.
The following users liked this post:
man0fsteel (02-01-17)
Old 02-01-17, 11:09 PM
man0fsteel
Rookie

Default Window doesn't stay closed...

Originally Posted by enoch861
Pinch sensor on the passenger window is being activated. After it activates and opens halfway, you should be able to close it back up fully without it opening halfway again as the pinch sensor is deactivated and one touch close is also deactivated. I believe the pinch sensor is deactivated until you fully open the window and then fully close it to reset it otherwise things like one touch close won't work.
Thanks for the response...Unfortunately, the window cannot be closed without it rolling halfway down, even after it's been activated. I checked to make sure nothing is stuck in the window moulding that would cause the pinch sensor to activate and it's clean. Really frustrating.

Any other ideas on what to try?
Old 02-06-17, 10:45 AM
enoch861
Pole Position

Originally Posted by man0fsteel
Thanks for the response...Unfortunately, the window cannot be closed without it rolling halfway down, even after it's been activated. I checked to make sure nothing is stuck in the window moulding that would cause the pinch sensor to activate and it's clean. Really frustrating.

Any other ideas on what to try?
I don't know about Lexus, but my Audi has a reset procedure where you fully open the window, keep the the switch pressed down for around 3 seconds and then close the window all the way up (first click, not second auto close click) and hold for 3 seconds. Not sure if this same procedure works on the Lexus or not, but it wouldn't hurt to try it. Also check to see if your car is throwing any codes related to window with Carista or something. If that still doesn't work, then it might be a good time to take the car in and have them take a look at it.
Old 02-06-17, 11:48 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

I don't know about Lexus, but my Audi has a reset procedure where you fully open the window, keep the the switch pressed down for around 3 seconds and then close the window all the way up (first click, not second auto close click) and hold for 3 seconds. Not sure if this same procedure works on the Lexus or not, but it wouldn't hurt to try it. Also check to see if your car is throwing any codes related to window with Carista or something. If that still doesn't work, then it might be a good time to take the car in and have them take a look at it.
Our LS's have a reset procedure as well. It's in the manual, but it's also been outlined here at CL numerous times, so you should find it with a search.
Old 02-06-17, 05:48 PM
man0fsteel
Rookie

Smile Resetting the window switch worked

Thanks! I found some guidance for resetting the Lexus windows. Here's what worked for me. I opened the window and continued to hold down the button for 10 seconds (I didn't hear a 'click' but I was at work and there was plenty of noise). Then I raised the window, holding the button in the 'up' position and continued holding it there for 10 seconds.

Voila! No more rolling down window! I hope it stays...
Old 02-07-17, 09:57 AM
enoch861
Pole Position

Originally Posted by man0fsteel
Thanks! I found some guidance for resetting the Lexus windows. Here's what worked for me. I opened the window and continued to hold down the button for 10 seconds (I didn't hear a 'click' but I was at work and there was plenty of noise). Then I raised the window, holding the button in the 'up' position and continued holding it there for 10 seconds.

Voila! No more rolling down window! I hope it stays...
Awesome! Glad you got it solved!
Now you just need to get your key replaced (most likely) and you should have a car that doesn't randomly roll it's windows down.
Old 08-30-18, 02:10 AM
Bluebranx
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jmcraney
I am wondering if the odd occurrence that you are experiencing is the feature that re-locks the doors if they are unlocked with the remote and a door is not opened within about 1 minute.

It works sort of like this. Let's say you walk up to your locked car and you unlock the doors with the remote key by momentarily pressing the unlock button. Before you can open a door someone comes up and engages you in a conversation. While you are standing there you see the lights flash, the lock chime sounds and you hear the locks operate. This is the normal re-lock feature that has been around for a long time. When you first encounter this you have the sensation that your car is haunted.

The haunted part is funny. Thanks for your response. I have actually been in trouble with my fob. I lost it some days back. I called my local tech to replace it. He did. Got the new lexus fob. Then yday, after I wokeup. I met the roof and windows down. The right side windows weren't down. Just the 2 left sides and the roof. I recently just replaced my batteries. What do you think I should do. I have locked it and waiting if it will happen again tho.
Old 08-30-18, 02:58 AM
jdanielca
Pole Position

Received 210 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluebranx

The haunted part is funny. Thanks for your response. I have actually been in trouble with my fob. I lost it some days back. I called my local tech to replace it. He did. Got the new lexus fob. Then yday, after I wokeup. I met the roof and windows down. The right side windows weren't down. Just the 2 left sides and the roof. I recently just replaced my batteries. What do you think I should do. I have locked it and waiting if it will happen again tho.
someone just posted the reset procedure a few posts up why dont you try that
Old 08-31-18, 03:00 PM
DavidinCT
Racer

Received 195 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by Helmar
I left my car out last night and it rained.

This morning, I discovered that all of my windows and the moon roof had opened some time during the night and, of course, the interior was soaked.

I know that you can direct the car to open all windows and the roof from the fob, but has anyone experienced the problem where they did this by themselves?

HBH
Not the winders and moonroof but, my trunk was open one morning after a rain storm. I always keep my keys on my pocket, so I don't think about it. So what I did was get one of those rubber cases for the key FOB, and because it added more space and covers on buttons it's a little harder to push and I have never seen the same thing again.

I can see this happening once you have a few things in your pocket, like I do...
Old 10-03-19, 02:09 PM
billykidd
Driver School Candidate

Default Has this problem on Toyota Highlander 2018 last night

Originally Posted by DavidinCT
Not the winders and moonroof but, my trunk was open one morning after a rain storm. I always keep my keys on my pocket, so I don't think about it. So what I did was get one of those rubber cases for the key FOB, and because it added more space and covers on buttons it's a little harder to push and I have never seen the same thing again.

I can see this happening once you have a few things in your pocket, like I do...
I am at the dealer now ... no trouble found. BUT I had this same problem on 2 BMW's a 2011 3 series and 2013 3 series. In both cases the dealer didn't know how to fix it (even though it was the same dealer in both cases). the problem in both cases turned out to be a defective switch in the driver's side door. On the 2011, the problem happened 3 times before the dealer called the national service line and found out it was the switch. On the 2013, I had the dealer look at the sevice record from the 2011, so that made it easier.

I just spoke with the Toyota service manager here and they are calling the region to see if there's a known problem.