LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

F.Y.I. New TSIB for "Crosswind Turbulence Fix"

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-09, 03:25 PM
jlawr
Lead Lap

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
Default F.Y.I. New TSIB for "Crosswind Turbulence Fix"

Lexus has released a new Crosswind Turbulence Wind Noise Fix.

See attached file:
Attached Files
Old 04-07-09, 03:33 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks for posting, jlawr...so this may be what members were talking about, a forthcoming new TSIB / procedure related to wind noise issues:

Originally Posted by PatsSoxfan
I was told yesterday that they are replacing the molding on the front wind shield.
Old 04-07-09, 06:02 PM
Mike_in_DTW
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll be interested to learn if this helps to reduce perceived turbulence and wind noise. I'm still about 2K miles away from my 5K service. Hopefully, by that time others will have had this done and be in a position to let the rest of us know if it works.
Old 04-08-09, 08:11 AM
ls460love
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Am I the only one that is scared about these TSiB's?

I want to trust lexus techs but I'm a perfectionist. The TSiB's that call for hole drilling, riveting et al. scare the hell out of me. There's no coming back from imperfect mods in this regard.
Old 04-08-09, 08:56 AM
CEOEngr
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ls460love
I want to trust lexus techs but I'm a perfectionist. The TSiB's that call for hole drilling, riveting et al. scare the hell out of me. There's no coming back from imperfect mods in this regard.
LOL. ditto.
Old 04-08-09, 10:40 AM
PatsSoxfan
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by encore888
Thanks for posting, jlawr...so this may be what members were talking about, a forthcoming new TSIB / procedure related to wind noise issues:
OK, here is the scoop. My dealer performed this TSIB on my LS460L this past Monday. The good news is that the wind noise/turbulence is not any worse than it was prior to this fix and it may be a touch improved. I tested it the other day with 40 mph winds blowing and it was difficult to tell if it was improved. However, with lighter winds yesterday, it seemed to be improved.

The bottom line is that I don't think you can go wrong going ahead and have this new procedure done as long as you have a capable individual do the work. However, as soon as the weather gets warmer (I don't want to wait 24 hours for the sealant to dry), I am going to do the revised "jmcraney fix") myself to see if I can get my car to be "tomb-like quiet" like Jeff's. BTW, the new Lexus fix takes about a half day.

Last edited by PatsSoxfan; 04-08-09 at 01:03 PM.
Old 04-08-09, 11:58 AM
WhitBaby
Lead Lap

Interesting Grasshopper.

Thanks for heads up.

I took my '08 LS460 in a couple times for the wind noise last May. They did some placatory shimming. When that didn't work...they just shrugged, but corporate Lexus did make a couple 'Good will' gesture$ that soothed my ruffled feathers a bit.

I since did Jeff's triangle fix to my complete satisfaction. My noise wasn't so much a 'cross wind noise' it was rushing at anything above 45 MPH. I do get some 'cross wind noise' in severe cross winds but it doesn't happen that often. (My C-182 was a lot noisier ;-)

Anyway it'll be interesting to see if Lexus dealer calls me on this, and offers to do this TSIB, as I'd imagine I'm still in their files as being unsatisfied with their earlier 'fix'. ...and if I let them do it, do I forfeit my 'good-will' ge$tures?

Whit
Old 04-08-09, 07:05 PM
bob321
Rookie

Interesting in that there are no VIN breaks indicating a production line change. The skeptics will assume that they gonna try this out before committing it to the line.....
Old 04-18-09, 06:25 PM
2thfixr
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I took my car in for an oil change and asked for the wind noise to be addressed per the TSIB. I do a lot of driving on highways with heavy crosswinds so it applies to me perfectly. I got the call Fri that the car was ready. The SA said I could pick it up and if I didn't like the way it looked I could bring it back. WTF? Shouldn't it look exactly the way it did when I dropped it off? Apparantly there is some gasket or moulding that is sticking out that wasn't there before the TSIB has was applied. I never saw the car so I have no idea what he is talking about but I asked that the service manager take a look because if it doesn't look right there's no reason for me to waste my time picking up the car. I get a call later and sure enough they will be keeping the car a few more days. They already took the car apart and ordered another kit. So whatever, I figure my car has been in the shop for a week now and they offered a loaner so I said sure I'll pick it up Sat. When I pick up the loaner I am told by one of the salesman that they know all about my car. The service manager was walking around the sales floor with a big door moulding in his hands.

Oh well, I guess we'll see what happens.
Old 04-18-09, 06:52 PM
LS2k
Intermediate

Received 44 Likes on 34 Posts

So should i still ask the dealer to install the laminated vs. tempered windows in addition to this fix?

Is there any pics available of what the new part look like once installed?
Old 04-20-09, 05:50 PM
Mike_TX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by LS2k
So should i still ask the dealer to install the laminated vs. tempered windows in addition to this fix?

Is there any pics available of what the new part look like once installed?
The laminated windows are a better part and will help with outside noise.They may not do anything for wind noise, but they dull other noise, like tires, passing cars, etc.

Old 04-21-09, 04:08 AM
jmcraney
Forum Moderator

Received 277 Likes on 209 Posts

LS2k,

Please check the Private Messages feature on this site for a message.
Old 04-23-09, 04:18 PM
astrotoy
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Has anyone else had this TSIB done? I'm thinking about it, but am concerned about any body damage it might do. I am guessing my dealership may not have done any - and I probably don't want to be first. Thanks.
Old 04-23-09, 08:46 PM
RGSW
Intermediate

Received 109 Likes on 80 Posts
Default Crosswind Noise Fix

"I feel your pain" and agree totally with your comments. I'm going to wait a while and try to get a look at a completed one. Anyone haveing pictures, would appreciate posting...
Old 04-24-09, 10:54 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by astrotoy
Has anyone else had this TSIB done? I'm thinking about it, but am concerned about any body damage it might do. I am guessing my dealership may not have done any - and I probably don't want to be first. Thanks.
LOL, yeah, I've never experienced any abnormal wind noise that bothered me anyway yet, sure if there is a TSIB that will make the car even quieter, I'd go for it too, but not before I know it can be done properly by the dealer, & that it makes a significant difference, then I will let them do it to my car.

Last edited by Gojirra99; 04-24-09 at 03:59 PM.

Quick Reply: F.Y.I. New TSIB for "Crosswind Turbulence Fix"