LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Windshield Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-15, 10:16 AM
LexToy3
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, seem to reviving an old thread again. I have two small chips in my windshield and am debating on whether or not to fix or replace. For those that have had theirs replaced have there been any problems or issues even if minor? I have found a place the will use a exterior film over the windshield called Clearplex. I have seen some demo videos and it will warranty the windshield for chips and breaks for 7 years at 500 or so for install and can be used all the way away if desired.

I could see the benefit of replacement and repair but before I use this film I would prefer to have it fixed correctly prior to dropping about a grand on films for both exterior and interior of the car.
Old 06-20-15, 10:20 AM
daryll40
Pole Position

Received 409 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by LexToy3
Well, seem to reviving an old thread again. I have two small chips in my windshield and am debating on whether or not to fix or replace. For those that have had theirs replaced have there been any problems or issues even if minor? I have found a place the will use a exterior film over the windshield called Clearplex. I have seen some demo videos and it will warranty the windshield for chips and breaks for 7 years at 500 or so for install and can be used all the way away if desired.

I could see the benefit of replacement and repair but before I use this film I would prefer to have it fixed correctly prior to dropping about a grand on films for both exterior and interior of the car.
I had my 2009 car windshield replaced in 2011. It's been fine except there was an issue of the rear view mirror mount falling off. I finally glued it about 1 inch to the right of the original spot. You can't really tell but it's not perfect for someone with car OCD. So be sure whoever does the replacement gets that tap glued down solid at the initial repair.

I would not spent $1000 or even $500 for windshield film. The cost/reward ratio seems like that makes it a poor value.
Old 06-20-15, 12:24 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

I have replaced my windshield twice. When I purchased the car the oem windshield had a lot of pitting and just looked terrible in direct sunlight from the drivers seat. My second windshield came after a pickup truck kicked up a big rock on the highway and cracked it. Anyway, I went with Pilkington glass and found a mobile installer that was highly rated on Yelp. $190 installed. I have had two windshields put in that work perfectly with my rain sensor for $100 less then my deductible. Hope this info can help you too. Check out Yelp for installers.
Old 06-20-15, 01:07 PM
swfla
Lead Lap

Received 1,209 Likes on 956 Posts

Our cars came with a rain repellant on the windshield and front windows from the factory. I'm not sure if anyone, even Lexus would have replacement glass with that feature, but it would sure be nice. Something to consider. Also many insurance companies cover windshield replacement with no deductible. As far as the film goes, for the price, it's like buying an expensive insurance policy.

Last edited by swfla; 06-20-15 at 01:13 PM.
Old 06-20-15, 06:26 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

My current policy has a zero deductible for windshields. My previous policy had a 200 dollar deductible. My last windshield replacement was a factory Lexus windshield and I had no issues with the install or the windshield itself. I've also used chip repair services and have been very happy with the results. If all I had was a small chip, I'd have it repaired rather than use my zero deductible policy with a replacement. It's quick, looks great and inexpensive. A local shop here charges 15 dollars for chip repair. 10 mins and it's done.
Old 06-20-15, 08:49 PM
JiffyPop
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I recently had mine replaced and had a few issues. I researched a reputable installer. My insurance would not cover an oem replacement so they installed a PGW replacement.

Issue number 1 was the rain sensor would no longer work. First they replaced the gel patch with no success. It was then discovered that the metal bracket that is attached at the glass manufacturer was loose and was not allowing a tight seal to the windshield. It was reattached with the correct epoxy and fixed that problem.

Issue number 2 was a constant creaking sound coming from the top drivers side of the windshield. It turned out to be that the trim that goes from the front to the back of the car was not seated properly. The clips were replaced with new only along the windshield as that is all the insurance company pays the installer for. The trim was reinstalled with a small amount of silicone to help adhesion. The squeaking went away.
Old 06-21-15, 12:53 AM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

There is probably 1 person in 5000 that can do a windshield replacement correctly. Most all of them scratch and gouge the pinch weld, if they can't do the job without touching the body I'd find someone that can.
Old 06-21-15, 06:34 AM
LexToy3
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Lavrishevo
I have replaced my windshield twice. When I purchased the car the oem windshield had a lot of pitting and just looked terrible in direct sunlight from the drivers seat. My second windshield came after a pickup truck kicked up a big rock on the highway and cracked it. Anyway, I went with Pilkington glass and found a mobile installer that was highly rated on Yelp. $190 installed. I have had two windshields put in that work perfectly with my rain sensor for $100 less then my deductible. Hope this info can help you too. Check out Yelp for installers.
Originally Posted by roadfrog
My current policy has a zero deductible for windshields. My previous policy had a 200 dollar deductible. My last windshield replacement was a factory Lexus windshield and I had no issues with the install or the windshield itself. I've also used chip repair services and have been very happy with the results. If all I had was a small chip, I'd have it repaired rather than use my zero deductible policy with a replacement. It's quick, looks great and inexpensive. A local shop here charges 15 dollars for chip repair. 10 mins and it's done.

So, originally from FL and I remember several times there that pitting and chips equaled new windshield saying that it was illegal to it to be flawed and no issues. I simply asked the dealer (great bunch of people) and they said that they would have it repaired if I desired. I called my insurance company that routed me to Safelite and that is where I was told that if they have an aftermarket option and I still insisted on oem I could pay for it myself. I was also informed that I could do the same if the chips were repairable and I opted for replacement. I am just looking at it from the perspective of 7 year guarantee from Clearplex against chips and breaks if one occurs while their film is on the car. Again, spending a grand on a chipped windshield seems a little off for me and at the same time I have seen some horrible replacements.

Originally Posted by dicer
There is probably 1 person in 5000 that can do a windshield replacement correctly. Most all of them scratch and gouge the pinch weld, if they can't do the job without touching the body I'd find someone that can.
Originally Posted by JiffyPop
I recently had mine replaced and had a few issues. I researched a reputable installer. My insurance would not cover an oem replacement so they installed a PGW replacement.

Issue number 1 was the rain sensor would no longer work. First they replaced the gel patch with no success. It was then discovered that the metal bracket that is attached at the glass manufacturer was loose and was not allowing a tight seal to the windshield. It was reattached with the correct epoxy and fixed that problem.

Issue number 2 was a constant creaking sound coming from the top drivers side of the windshield. It turned out to be that the trim that goes from the front to the back of the car was not seated properly. The clips were replaced with new only along the windshield as that is all the insurance company pays the installer for. The trim was reinstalled with a small amount of silicone to help adhesion. The squeaking went away.
These are my main concerns for a replacement. I hate sounding like an unseasonable person when it comes to this and any work that I have done. I have had my car tinted 3 times now in 2 weeks to get it right, if I am paying you for something do it right. The first time is the most preferred time too.

They are no super noticeable from the outside but to me they are, I guess I am just trying to accept the lesser of two evils.

Last edited by LexToy3; 06-21-15 at 06:46 AM.
Old 06-21-15, 11:19 AM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Unfortunately, USAA does not offer free glass replacement. At least for my car at its age. They would only do it through Safelite via my $500 deductible. I do not like Safelite glass. The OEM shield was $1200 before installation. Pilkington makes good glass. I am happy with mine. PPG is also a good brand. I mean for $190 installed how can I complain.

Last edited by Lavrishevo; 06-21-15 at 11:23 AM.
Old 06-21-15, 11:38 AM
swfla
Lead Lap

Received 1,209 Likes on 956 Posts

After all these great posts, it seems that there is no one size fits all answer about insurance coverage costs and allowed vendors/brands. It does seem that most people who went the non OEM route were happy, except for Safelite standing out as one to avoid. Other than knowing about availability of rain repellant coating, I think I'm ready for the inevitable thanks to everyone here. Grateful
Old 06-22-15, 05:14 AM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

To answer my own question, windshield replacement polices are mandated by the State. GA does not require free replacement.

Last edited by Lavrishevo; 06-22-15 at 01:10 PM.
Old 04-24-17, 12:54 PM
coralani
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Windshield replacement-warranty void?

I just got a stress crack in my windshield. Was not hit by anything. Came out after work a few days ago and saw the crack. Started at the right side and curved upward slightly. My question is...if I go with safelite for repair and later have a problem with my rain sensing wipers will the dealer say the replacement voided the warranty of the wipers? Can they say I should have gone to them for OEM window? My ES350 is still under warranty although I purchased it used. It's a 2013. My insurance comprehensive deductible is $500. (Blew it there) I am stuck which way to go. Any suggestions?
Old 04-24-17, 08:02 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 292 Likes on 257 Posts

Well, your dealer may disown you if the glass wasn't replaced by Lexus. Rain sensing wipers are very sensitive to the quality of installation to the point, for example, that BMW actual have windshields with the lense pre-attached rather than re-installing the old one on a new windshield. (I don't know if Lexus do the same but you might want to check)

If you go with Safelite, just be sure to get a written guarantee that their installation of the sensor on the glass will result in the correct operation of the rain-sensing wipers.
Old 04-26-17, 08:13 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

My LS goes in for a windshield this morning. 0 deductible. I'll post a review later when it's done. Not sure what brand they'll use.
Old 08-09-18, 07:22 AM
jdanielca
Pole Position

Received 210 Likes on 188 Posts

I have 2 small chips they have been repaired.. I had then redone recenlty... but the glare is bothering me i dont wanna waste money on film until I decide if i should replace the windshield.... is pilkington THE best...? do they make only one type of glass? or are there different levels.

Quick Reply: Windshield Replacement