LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Best do it yourself repairs for paint chips

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-09, 08:02 PM
EGLIDE
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Best do it yourself repairs for paint chips

I have a couple of small chips throught the clear coat (ie: 1/8" +/-). Is there any do-it-yourself fix for these? I tried Dr. ColorChip, but it does not fill the chip, it only matches the paint color. What about a fix for larger chips-not dents?
Thanks in advance.
Old 03-04-09, 01:27 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

i have tried a lot of stuff, but imho the best is still your steady hands and patience.

from my experience, toothpicks, steady hands, and put small drop of touch up. get it on, cover it, and do not touch again. let it try. and then repeat, until the paint slowly build up to level with the original paint

if it gets a bit higher, then you can try to use very fine sand paper (2000 grid?) to wet sand it. but make sure you do it slow and after the paint is COMPLETELY dry. you will also need to buff it again afterward
Old 03-04-09, 01:34 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Yup. I find the touch up plus wetsanding is the tried and true method for rock chips.

If you have metallic paint, then your results may not come out perfect, but hey..it'll look better than a rock chip!
Old 03-04-09, 07:58 PM
EGLIDE
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What is the exact procudure to wet sand the raised paint and does it scuff the surrounding area?
Old 03-04-09, 11:33 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

it takes a lot of training and experience, if you have never done it before, i say get some practice first. to raise the paint it's just layers and layers of touch-up. wet sand you just run water on the paint and lightly use 2000 grid sand paper to sand the area until it's all smooth. yes you will need to scuff the surrounding area too, that's how you get it smooth, and that's why you need to polish the area again afterward
Old 03-08-09, 07:52 AM
PHCMA
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you just back off the car or truck in front, you can eliminate 90% of the stone chips..Try it I noticed this when I flip the radar cruise on and it keeps you farther back behind the cars. Sounds simple but it works....
Old 03-08-09, 01:31 PM
WhitBaby
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rominl
it takes a lot of training and experience, if you have never done it before, i say get some practice first. to raise the paint it's just layers and layers of touch-up. wet sand you just run water on the paint and lightly use 2000 grid sand paper to sand the area until it's all smooth. yes you will need to scuff the surrounding area too, that's how you get it smooth, and that's why you need to polish the area again afterward

This works best for the non-metallic paints. Even with 2000 grit wet-or-dry on a stiff backing it only takes a light stroke or two to get into the color layer and expose the silvery metal flakes. Metallic paints are usually a three or four layer process.
If it is metallic I think I'd just try to do the build-up and level that out and forget scuffing the surrounding area.

Whit