LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

2008 LS460L Air Suspension Problems

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-10, 07:59 AM
MCG
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This past Sunday - I noticed the right-side of the vehicle was down more than the left. At this point - I will visit another dealership and then consider direct outreach to Lexus Corp.

I have owned many Toyota vehicles and even visited the production facility in Nagoya Japan several years ago. My trust and confidence in their products was very high - but this experience has changed my perception. Despite the recalls in the media - I was confident that all of this would be addressed. Now reflecting on my perpetual problems with the suspension - I am unsure about the future of the Toyota and Lexus product line and the Kaizen methodology.
Old 03-11-10, 07:40 PM
MCG
Driver School Candidate

UPDATE: Spoke to another dealership regarding my history with this issue. They will assist later this month.
Old 03-17-10, 10:20 AM
okokdude
Driver School Candidate

Default loud bang over speed bumps

My 2007 LS 460L has an issue when i go over speed bumps - i get a loud BANG that shakes the car and everyone in it- the dealer said they could not duplicate the bang so they have done nothing- it seams to be getting worse
Old 03-17-10, 10:37 AM
Audriuss
Pole Position

Originally Posted by okokdude
My 2007 LS 460L has an issue when i go over speed bumps - i get a loud BANG that shakes the car and everyone in it- the dealer said they could not duplicate the bang so they have done nothing- it seams to be getting worse
recently my dealer told me that they got LS600h that had similar problem like u talk. It was hard to duplicate "the bang" but they did it. As I know, they found out, that "the bang" happens, then suspension extends to a full lenght and then has to get short instanly. If I am not mistaken, they changed rear suspension...
Old 05-03-10, 11:33 AM
PRIMESANC
Driver School Candidate

Default Struts front gas

Yes, I have a 2007 ls460L, and experienced the same set of symptoms. The car dipped, significantly on braking, and the front struts don't seem to cushion the car on potholes (normal size) and other rough roads. The struts are critical to generating the smooth ride that Lexus is so famous for. They replaced both sets of rear struts recently, and now I believe that I have a front strut problem. Also, in sport mode, the gas pressure seems to be inconsistent-sometimes it exhibits too much resistancy..even bumpier rides. Additionally, the warranty company does not seem to appreciate the need to replace two struts at the same time, but they did in my case, thankfully.
Does anyone have MTBF (mean time/miles between failure) of Lexus components?
Old 05-03-10, 03:01 PM
Johnny
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

I doubt you can get a MTBF pronouncement as Lexus outsources the myriad componentry that together make up their cars. I have no doubt the individual designers would be guided by norms set out by JIS, DIN, ASTM, AGMA and SAE to name a few. I was a gear designer in my previous life, and MTBF was applied on a duty related basis, but more often than not, I would exceed these standards and go out to infinity unless space constraints or occasionally cost dictated otherwise.
Old 05-03-10, 07:06 PM
stever500
Rookie

So if I'm looking at getting an LS 460 SWB, is it better to find one without the air suspension, to avoid this situation altogether or is this problem potentially on all LS 460's?

Thanks,
Steve
Old 03-19-11, 01:20 PM
mkgupta
Driver School Candidate

I had the Lexus tech go on a test drive with me and he confirmed that the dampers to the air suspension system were not working. The car basically bounced up and down after every bump. The car has been with the dealer for 2 days and now the week end. The dealer stated that this has never happened before. My 2008 LS 460 L has 35k miles on it. It rode as smooth as silk until a month ago. Stay tuned.
Old 03-23-11, 06:02 PM
cardenje
Driver School Candidate

I have a 2007 LS460L that I had checked beause of a noise in the RR area when driving over rough roads. The dealer stated the it was the strut and the LR was leaking. Unfortunately, my 48 month warrantry expired 30 days prior to me noticing the noise. I am negoiation with Lexus concerning relief for my vehicle that still only has 47,000 miles. The cost per strut is $1900.00 or $3800.00 for both. This is my forth Lexus and have never had a problem as serious as this. Based on the comments on this thread, is this an indication that Lexus quality is in decline?
Old 03-28-11, 04:59 AM
mkgupta
Driver School Candidate

Hi Cardenje, it really bites that you have this problem right after the warranty. I think we should stay in touch. I think this is a recall issue as loss of suspension stiffness and dampening can cause loss of control at speed on a turn. I plan on writing a letter to Lexus with my PE stamp advising them of an unsafe condition. I can also forward to our AG to get his help. Right now I am really concerned that this problem is more common than Lexus lets on.
Old 04-02-11, 08:54 PM
MCG
Driver School Candidate

Hi mkgupta and cardenje - I have recently heard the noises again in the rear suspension which are especially noticable when I go over a bump. Rather than go to the dealership, I called Lexus Corporate and described my concerns. They asked a lot of detailed questions and even saw my service history with similar issues since I took delivery on my LS 460L in late 2008. They have called several times to report that they are working on a resolution. Hope to hear back soon and will let you know the outcome.
Hopefully you will get your situations resolved. Please let me know how if works out.
Old 05-24-11, 05:41 PM
heightsq5
Driver School Candidate

I just bought a 2009 LS 460L CPO with the air suspension and while the ride/suspension on the highway or at a bit of speed is great, at slow speeds over rough road the sound from the front suspension seems a bit "loose" and I'm afraid it might have this same issue. However, this is the first car with an air suspension so I'm not entirely sure what to expect. I only have 22k miles on it. I'm planning to take it back to have it checked out and am wondering if anyone has had a fix that worked and could suggest what I might convey to the dealer when I take it in.
Old 10-13-11, 12:32 PM
jsilvers
Driver School Candidate

January of 2011, I purchased a 2007 LS460L. Quality of the ride is what swayed me from purchasing a Mercedes. The vehicle had 40K miles on it and had 4 months left on time of warranty. I purchased extended warranty and left a happy Lexus owner! Fast forward to Sept 2011. Notice a thumping noise from the rear of vehicle. While having new brakes installed, I ask my local Goodyear tech to check out the noise. They checked and informed me that it was a common problem on virtually ALL LS models with air suspension. By coincidence, the Tech's father was a Tech at Local Lexus Dealership. They informed me that instead of paying them, I should take it to Lexus as they knew of the issues and would fix under warranty. I did....only to be informed that my Factory warranty had expired due to time(by 120days), and that the only exclusion in my extended warranty was, you guessed it, SHOCKS! The problem I was told was the right rear air cylinder. Cost, $1700 to repair. Lexus, being the quality company that they are, offered to cover the labor if I would pay the cost of the part. Cost of the part you ask? $500. I agreed, scheduled the repair bla, bla, bla. When I picked the car up(and wrote the $500 check), Our child noticed that nothing in the back seat area functioned...seat controls, shade control and SAFTEY BELTS!!! Called the dealer(cell phones...what did we do before them?) and asked if they possibly had to remove the rear seat to replace the air cylinder. Yes was the answer, so I explained the issue. Took vehicle back, 15 minutes later they explained the tech forgot to plug back in the wire harness. Left again with my Lexus riding like I expected a Lexus to ride....Happy Lexus owner....I wish the story ended there, but nope. Twenty-eight days later begin hearing the thumping noise again, this time the left rear. I called my Lexus service rep and informed him of the exact same issue AGAIN, 30 days later. I explained that I had been on Lexus owner forums since last issues and knew that this was an issue on virtually all LS models. I did not expect to again pay $500 to repair a defect in the vehicle, that I wanted it fixed at no cost. He advised me that I needed to call the Lexus 25 line...I did. Explained it all to the call center answer person. She asked me what I was wanting them to do and I explained that not only did I want them to repair, but I wanted MY $500 back from the previous repair. She explained that I would need to schedule to take my vehicle back to Dealer and have them diagnose. I did. Funny thing, this time I noticed on sheet it said the it was "Worn Strut Mount". Hmmmm...I called Lexus 25 lines again and asked what the repair was labeled last time. Replaced shock mount assembly. Wonder why they told me it was an air cylinder? They informed me that they would again extend me the offer of me paying $500 to fix their defect. I declined and have asked to speak with a Dist Rep. She informed me that they are on the road all the time and may have a hard time contacting me. I politely explained that today, with email and cell phones, I expected a prompt return call....I'll let you know when I hear from him...or her! BTW, Facebook....social media is a beautiful marketing tool....Lexus uses it! Downside, I do too!!! I went to their Lexus Cars page and posted my complaint right there in the middle of all their wonderful posts about their wonderful cars....Yep, I encourage everybody to do the same....social media is not just to sell products it's to inform people!!!!
Old 10-14-11, 10:06 AM
jsilvers
Driver School Candidate

Found a Tech Service Bulletin for this issues....TSB-0058-09 that clearly states that it is known problem. Lexus has also changed parts for these. They are still acting like it is not an know issue.
Old 10-14-11, 01:39 PM
caha14
Racer

Received 74 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by jsilvers
Found a Tech Service Bulletin for this issues....TSB-0058-09 that clearly states that it is known problem. Lexus has also changed parts for these. They are still acting like it is not an know issue.
Glad you found this; I had actually made a mental note to post that bulletin here for you, but you found it before I got to it! For what it's worth, I'm not sure if it is only applicable to cars with air suspension or to all. Air was not available in 2007 and 2008 for the SWB, but it was for 2009, and the TSIB does include 2009 vehicles (up to a certain VIN cutoff).

I hope they do the right thing for you. The LS is my fourth Lexus, and while I love the power and looks of it, I will say that if I had bought this car new ($83k+ original retail for this particular car), I would be beyond p**sed off with the car and quality. Thankfully I paid a heck of a lot less 3+ yrs and 40k miles later...

I will definitely have the strut issue addressed this year. The other issues (some of which are still pending) are a handful of items, but my dealership's service department has been great, particularly the shop foreman who is fantastic, and I am confident that the car will be 100% soon.

One definitely would not expect these many issues with the flagship, particularly given the reputation and track record of the LS400 and LS430...

Please keep us posted!

Quick Reply: 2008 LS460L Air Suspension Problems