LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Any of you Lexus owners, own or owned a Range Rover?

Old 01-03-09, 10:30 AM
Als460
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any of you Lexus owners, own or owned a Range Rover?

I've never owned a RR but thinking about it. Are they really that unreliable? I've been on the RR forum and most threads are regarding their problems and fixes. I have to admit, I love the look and the status of a Range Rover and I don't see many of those on the streets in my area. What's your experience like? I know they don't come close to the Lexus reliablity. Good enough to own a few years as a lease?
Old 01-03-09, 10:42 AM
aquanuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

A proper British Range Rover is just a money pit, older then 2002. The latter BMW ones are more reliable. Well as about reliable as a BMW

Of course if it still in warranty throughout your ownership then who cares. If its something you plan to keep longterm look elsewhere.

What year / model you considering?
Old 01-03-09, 10:49 AM
Als460
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by aquanuke
A proper British Range Rover is just a money pit, older then 2002. The latter BMW ones are more reliable. Well as about reliable as a BMW

Of course if it still in warranty throughout your ownership then who cares. If its something you plan to keep longterm look elsewhere.

What year / model you considering?
A local dealer still have brand new '08 RR HSE and Supercharged models in stock. Most likely they will offer good deals and 1.9% finance rate for 60 months.
Old 01-03-09, 11:06 AM
CEOEngr
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had bought an HSE in 07 for my Nav but traded it after only a year, took a substantial loss. Lots of minor issues, even though it was all covered under warranty, just the hassle of it was too much for us. So was the case with most of my neighbors who owned one. It does have a very nice ride so does LX570.

There is a RR dealer 10 minutes away from our house on the freeway and it has a fleet of very lightly used RR on the lot and not to mention new ones. If you have a high threshold for the involved "hassles" factor then go for it. You will find good deals abound around the country.
Old 01-03-09, 11:40 AM
luxury1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Als460
I've never owned a RR but thinking about it. Are they really that unreliable? I've been on the RR forum and most threads are regarding their problems and fixes. I have to admit, I love the look and the status of a Range Rover and I don't see many of those on the streets in my area. What's your experience like? I know they don't come close to the Lexus reliablity. Good enough to own a few years as a lease?
I have one and LOVE IT! I was worried about the same thing so I decided to lease for two years just to see how well it did. I am 16 months into it and will definitely buy or lease another.

There are so many reason why I like it but the top ones are the looks, rareness and exclusivity, capability, sense of security and comfort.

I would never buy one used though since these cars are driven hard off-road and you really don't know what that car went through. Also, be aware that Range Rovers become very expensive in repairs over the long haul.

I haven't had too many issues but you have to be tolerant towards issues to own one. When something goes wrong I always laugh because I expect it and I feel like it is a part of the cars character.

I bought the LS460 for myself but now that I own the Range Rover I gave that to my wife and only drive it once in a great while.

Check out the below forum as there are a lot of interesting posts that aren't all related to issues.

http://www.landroverforums.com/forum...smode_1/tt.htm
Old 01-03-09, 05:10 PM
terrain
Pole Position

I liked the looks of the RR's when the new body came out a few years back .... not so much the SC versions but they grew on me over time. In my neck of the woods I probably see 8 RR's for every LS and probably 15 for every L. I would not worry to much if you plan to lease and your dealership is in a convienant location (like on way to your work, near your house etc...).
Old 01-03-09, 05:49 PM
luxury1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My Range Rover dealership picks my car up and drops off a loaner so it is SO easy to own. I have dropped and continue to drop a lot of money on cars but it is my passion so it is worth it to me...