LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

LS460 vs. Avalon

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-08, 02:25 PM
bbq
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS460 vs. Avalon

This is my first post but I've been lurking for more than 4 years now.

I currently have a 2004 LS430 which is about to come off lease. My plan is to buy/lease a LS460 SWB, either 2008 or 2009.

Prior to the LS, we drove an Avalon which I felt was darn close to the LS. My wife, seeing the hit our net worth has taken, thinks we should go back to the Avalon. More for the Grandchildren I surmize!

My wife asks...Is the LS really worth $30,000 more?

Don't really want to look at the ES or GS; it's either the LS or Avalon.

By the way, I did search and saw some comments about the Avalon, but not in this context.

I can't see going backwards, but I'd be interested to hear any comments.

Thanks
Old 12-22-08, 04:01 PM
bluerex
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i would say "darling, the avalon is front wheel drive, how would i ever be able to drift it?"

I love the ls460 and hope to get one sometime in the next 24 months
Old 12-22-08, 04:11 PM
Rash
hmm

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Isn't the Avalon old now? I think there will be a new car, not sure if replacement or a new generation.
Old 12-22-08, 04:16 PM
TJW98LS
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

The Avalon is a very nice car, but you simply can't compare the two cars.

Things you may lose when traveling backwards:

-Auto-Parking
-Rear Wheel Drive
-The 4.6L V8
-The Prestige/rarity factor

-I'm sure there is much more, but I am running short of time right now, I hope someone can add to this list.

Best of luck on your decision, BBQ.
Old 12-22-08, 05:10 PM
luxury1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Out here you are not going to get any opinions except for LS. Most of us invested $70k + and wouldn't even consider the avalon. Life is too short to be cheap, go for the LS and enjoy!
Old 12-22-08, 06:21 PM
terrain
Pole Position

Sounds like you have driven the Avalon - and thought all was well - if 30K means something to the wife then I'd seriously look at the Avalon "Limited (or did they change the designation... whatever the top up package is". I actually drove an 08 (Limited or....)Avalon for fun while picking up our Sequoia and I was impressed with the amount of room inside - or atleast the amount of room when compared to the Camry. If I was concerned with price I would put the Avalon Limited at or near the top of my sedan list - It brings with it value in all the tech goodies (laser cruise anyone...) and to boot you get Toyota build quality and reliability. Order up some LS460 badges and you would confuse the heck out of alot of people

In all honesty I don't think you can compare it with an LS - especailly with a loaded L but for 30K maybe you don't have to compare that much :-).

Last edited by terrain; 12-22-08 at 06:29 PM.
Old 12-22-08, 07:37 PM
bikerneil
Driver School Candidate

Personally - if I bought the Avalon I would regret it every time I drove it. Instead, I got the LS and I am excited EVERY time I drive it. Simple.

Life is too short to drive anything but the best.
Old 12-22-08, 08:40 PM
big_blzr94
Rookie

just buy out the ls430 you have now and be done with it. Isn't the Avalon the size of the GS anyway?
Old 12-22-08, 09:05 PM
dmvp29
Lead Lap

I think whether a car is "worth" the extra $30,000 or not depends a lot upon your individual circumstances.

If you were to simply ask is the LS 460 tangibly (or even psychologically..think "prestige factor" here) superior than the avalon, then the answer is yes for many of the reasons posted in this topic thus far.

I'm not too big on leasing cars unless I know for sure that I will buy outright after 3 years and I can get more out of my money from the market than the ~6% APY it costs to cover the difference (leasing and then buying versus buying outright from the start). Usually the answer is "no," although I have seen some really good BMW lease deals where you only need ~2-4% to break even.

The rule of thumb with leasing is usually that if you opt to lease a car, you should be able to afford to buy it outright. This is especially true if you decide to continually lease cars unless you substantially downgrade, which is usually not the case.

This market is quite depressing, though, I agree. I'm fortunate that I was able to purchase my car last year before this severe downturn. I took a $1.5M+ hit from the market and my wife has been a penny pincher ever since There's no way she'd have let me purchase this car today, and if it were completely up to her, she'd have me sell off the car right now in exchange for a corolla or something of the sort
Old 12-23-08, 05:09 AM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 252 Likes on 199 Posts

With the downward trend in used luxury car prices, a well equipped off lease 2006 LS430 with low miles can be bought for less than the $35,185 list price of an Avalon Limited.

Depending on your lease terms and the buyout price, it might be cheaper to turn in your 04 LS430 and buy an off lease 2006 LS430.

Last edited by Kansas; 12-23-08 at 05:44 AM.
Old 12-23-08, 08:28 AM
rueym
Driver

Originally Posted by bbq
This is my first post but I've been lurking for more than 4 years now.

I currently have a 2004 LS430 which is about to come off lease. My plan is to buy/lease a LS460 SWB, either 2008 or 2009.

Prior to the LS, we drove an Avalon which I felt was darn close to the LS. My wife, seeing the hit our net worth has taken, thinks we should go back to the Avalon. More for the Grandchildren I surmize!

My wife asks...Is the LS really worth $30,000 more?

Don't really want to look at the ES or GS; it's either the LS or Avalon.

By the way, I did search and saw some comments about the Avalon, but not in this context.

I can't see going backwards, but I'd be interested to hear any comments.

Thanks
car prices are all relative and i don't think you should compare if one is worth more than the other. i had this debate with another family member who choses to believe a benz is always a benz and a lexus is always a toyota. The bottom line ends up whether you're happy with it and if you can afford it, as these are not precious metals or appreciating assets.
Old 12-23-08, 12:15 PM
Mike_TX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm not quite sure where an earlier poster got his "rules of thumb" for leasing, but I disagree.

In fact, it is the best way to go - especially in a down market. The main reason is that you do not have to roll the dice on resale value, but there is also the matter of getting more car for the same monthly outlay.

Having said that, you'll also find that the residual differences between an LS and an Avalon will translate to a smaller percentage differential in lease payment than the MSRP's suggest ... making the LS the better value.

So, don't look at the $30k difference in sticker prices - check the difference in lease payments. And if you get a Lexus before the month is out, you'll get some great December to Remember deals right now! (And if your current lease isn't up yet, don't worry ... they'll still deal with you, buy you out, and put you in a new LS now.)

Old 12-23-08, 01:27 PM
WhitBaby
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think if I was looking for a car in the $30's I'd give the Hyundai Genesis some serious thought.
I was looking at them for a friend and was impressed...really.
Dollar for dollar I think it's the best sorta luxo-ride out there.

I know...heresy.

Whit
Old 12-23-08, 01:39 PM
Mike_TX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by WhitBaby
I think if I was looking for a car in the $30's I'd give the Hyundai Genesis some serious thought.
I was looking at them for a friend and was impressed...really.
Dollar for dollar I think it's the best sorta luxo-ride out there.

I know...heresy.

Whit

Heresy, perhaps, but an increasing number of automotive writers and critics agree with you! (And I even understand you can program their nav systems while moving! )

Old 12-23-08, 04:13 PM
bbq
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Mike_TX
So, don't look at the $30k difference in sticker prices - check the difference in lease payments. And if you get a Lexus before the month is out, you'll get some great December to Remember deals right now! (And if your current lease isn't up yet, don't worry ... they'll still deal with you, buy you out, and put you in a new LS now.)

I was planning to wait until January to try and find a deal. Do you think it's better timing to get it done this month?

I see your location is TX. May drive to Ft. Worth during the holiday to see family. Know a dealer in the area that wants to move some metal? I can easily drive new one home!

I have extended my lease so can end any time now.

Quick Reply: LS460 vs. Avalon