LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Love that Sound!

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-08, 07:42 AM
luxury1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Love that Sound!

I love the sound when you close the door of the LS460. It just sounds so secure and solid.

I remember reading that they tweaked the design many times to get it to the point where it sounded like a piece of solid wooden furniture when closing. It is a small detail that most don't notice I am sure but I love it!
Old 11-18-08, 10:14 AM
RXSF
Forum Moderator

Received 74 Likes on 45 Posts

while i didnt take notice when trying out the car i can say that lexus did not have solid sounding doors in the past. in fact, its really bad in my IS300 and better on my RX. but it wasnt until i bought my Merc C350 that i knew what solid meant. it just thinks properly. i cant say that i remember the LS having that same solid thunk.

but yes, i think i remember reading something that said they fine tuned the sound. just another example of famous lexus perfection.
Old 11-18-08, 10:17 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

actually to be honest i still don't think the ls460 (or any other lexus) doors sound as solid as bmw or mb or audi. those are just really solid. but the new lexus are getting much better already
Old 11-18-08, 10:43 AM
dc935
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Id say some of those old school MBs close with a nice clunk, but from first hand exp, closing the door on my p993tt (or any other p993 for that matter) is the definition of SOLID.
Old 11-18-08, 11:20 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts

I know it sounds nice but I don't think I remember it too well even though I've had the car for 6 months now, since I always try not to close the door completely so I can see the automatic door close in action
Old 11-18-08, 12:31 PM
Johnny
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Clunks are a thing of the past... I agree with Andrew; nothing like lightly placing the door close to the opening, and listening for the almost inaudible whir of the motor pulling the door snugly in. I just have to teach my son to stop slamming the darn thing like it was his Acura Integra Type R...
Old 11-18-08, 12:36 PM
jlawr
Lead Lap

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Burnaby
Clunks are a thing of the past... I agree with Andrew; nothing like lightly placing the door close to the opening, and listening for the almost inaudible whir of the motor pulling the door snugly in. I just have to teach my son to stop slamming the darn thing like it was his Acura Integra Type R...
Ditto -- twice
Old 11-18-08, 01:24 PM
luxury1
Lexus Test Driver

I actually heard it this morning from inside my house which is why I thought of it. My wife was closing the door in the garage and I was standing near the door and thought that it would be an interesting post. But I also notice it every time I get in especially after driving the RX for a week.

I agree that the auto door closers are great. I think that this technolodgy is truly a nice luxury which I greatly appreciate. You never have to stop the car to figure out what door was left open and the cool factor is through the roof!
Old 11-18-08, 03:41 PM
iKenn
Just call me "Sprinkes"

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

The doors close themself?!
The LS amazes me more and more daily. Hopefully my IS grows in a LS.
Old 11-18-08, 04:01 PM
Nospinzone

Received 428 Likes on 330 Posts

I just have to teach my son to stop slamming the darn thing like it was his Acura Integra Type R...

I still haven't been able to train my wife to just push the button to close the trunk ................ instead of slamming it!
Old 11-18-08, 06:32 PM
Johnny
Pole Position

Wives train husbands, not the other way around...
Old 11-19-08, 03:21 PM
Nospinzone

Received 428 Likes on 330 Posts

Originally Posted by Burnaby
Wives train husbands, not the other way around...

Reminds me of the joke about the man who died and went to heaven. When he got to the gates there were two entrances to heaven.

Above one entrance was the sign, "Men Who Were Henpecked by Their Wives". Above the other entrance was the sign, "Men Who Were Their Own Boss". In front of the former there was a line of 10 men across that stretched for miles. In front of the latter there was no one there.

So the man stood at the gate that read, "Men Who Were Their Own Boss".

St. Peter came out and saw the thousands of men at one gate and just the lonely man standing at the gate for "Men Who Were Their Own Boss".

He went over to the solitary man and said "I just want to shake your hand. How is it you can stand at this gate while all those other men have to stand at the gate for men who were henpecked by their wives, what is your secret?"

"I don't know", said the man, "this is where my wife told me to stand!"
Old 11-19-08, 04:07 PM
Johnny
Pole Position

Hahaha, good one...
Old 11-19-08, 05:54 PM
rueym
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by luxury1
I love the sound when you close the door of the LS460. It just sounds so secure and solid.

I remember reading that they tweaked the design many times to get it to the point where it sounded like a piece of solid wooden furniture when closing. It is a small detail that most don't notice I am sure but I love it!
you haven't heard the good sound of a door until you closed a ferrari door or 993 or older porsche 911 door. There is a distinct click and feel you get when the door closes. The older Mercedes 450SEL had that, anything after was not the sought for sound.
Old 11-20-08, 09:50 AM
luxury1
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by rueym
you haven't heard the good sound of a door until you closed a ferrari door or 993 or older porsche 911 door. There is a distinct click and feel you get when the door closes. The older Mercedes 450SEL had that, anything after was not the sought for sound.
My father still has a '84 560 SEL so I know what you are talking about. It is a good sound but I almost like the Lexus better. It is sort of a muted thunk but still a solid thunk. It is especially great when you get in and after the thunk it is nothing but silence.

Quick Reply: Love that Sound!