LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Hardwire Valentine V1 Radar Detector

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-08, 12:46 PM
LeX4u2nV
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hardwire Valentine V1 Radar Detector

Does anyone know how to use the included "direct wiring harness" to install the Valentine 1 radar detector? I just ordered one and want to crimp the power wire to one of the rear view mirror cables but I'm not sure which one has 12V power.
Old 11-12-08, 02:40 PM
Sceptre
Pole Position

If you want to hardwire it, you can use a regular telephone wire. I use to have the direct kit, but lost it somewhere and I just used a regular telephone wire to hardwire it. I don't have a LS, so I can't help you on which wire to tap on to, but there should be plenty of of ignition controlled 12V. Do you have a voltmeter? If you where in Austin I can help you out . . . I use to install car stereo back in the day. Good luck.
Old 11-12-08, 04:46 PM
tennisstar
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

yeah...anyone know a good shop to install these things for a cleaner look in Atanta area?
Old 11-13-08, 05:11 PM
LeX4u2nV
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Sceptre
If you want to hardwire it, you can use a regular telephone wire. I use to have the direct kit, but lost it somewhere and I just used a regular telephone wire to hardwire it. I don't have a LS, so I can't help you on which wire to tap on to, but there should be plenty of of ignition controlled 12V. Do you have a voltmeter? If you where in Austin I can help you out . . . I use to install car stereo back in the day. Good luck.
I'll use a voltmeter to find one from the rear view mirror I guess
Old 11-13-08, 05:11 PM
zzzzdoc
Lead Lap

How's this for a clean install:
Old 11-13-08, 05:56 PM
Craig B

Received 53 Likes on 37 Posts

I had the Lexus dealer wire mine. I made it part of the deal when I purchased the car.
I would also think any good car audio shop could do it as well...

Craig
Old 11-14-08, 03:46 PM
Whipple1
Rookie

Originally Posted by zzzzdoc
How's this for a clean install:
That is a clean install,but where did they locate the controls , front and rear sensors?
Old 11-15-08, 01:20 AM
2thfixr
Lexus Test Driver

^^^ is not an LS. I took the long road and hardwired my V1 to the cig lighter when I installed the Prestige Society nav/DVD module. Also, although the V1 uses a power cord that looks like a standard telephone cord, I believe a couple of the wires are reversed so you will need a voltmeter anyways when using a non-Valentine cord.
Old 11-15-08, 07:08 AM
Sceptre
Pole Position

I hardwired my Valentine 1 when I installed a Nav / Bluetooth unit in my minivan since I had everything ripped out already. I used a simple telephone wire. Make sure the plug has 4 wires. The outer 2 wires are not used. For the inner 2, one is ground the other is power. When you plug into the V1, the power cable will be the inner cable closest to the rear. The ground is the one close to the front. Make sure you strip the wire long enough to do a double fold so it gets a good connection.

Good luck
Old 11-15-08, 09:39 AM
LeX4u2nV
Driver School Candidate

I used the "direct wire" kit that came with the Valentine and connected it to the fuse box in the drivers foot well. I just pushed the cable in the headliner and drivers pillar with a credit card. I then went to radio shack and bought a fuse block tap and connected it the the power adapter fuse. I then cut off the male quick disconnect off of the red wire from the "direct wire" kit and replaced it with a female quick disconnect and then I just plugged the quick disconnect onto the fuse block tap. Then I placed the grounding wire under a screw and I was done. It would have taken me 20 mins to do everything but I had to make THREE trips to radio shack.

So if anyone else is going to do the install like I did then when you go to radio shack this is what you need:

1. Fuse block tap
2. Female Quick Disconnect that is the same size as the end of the fuse block tap

This was a lot easier than connecting the valentine anywhere else. The straight telephone wire that comes with the kit was the perfect length for running to the fuse box.