LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Anyone got 20s on their LS?

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-08, 10:57 PM
bugatti
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone got 20s on their LS?

I am looking into new wheels for the LS (Wald Portifino) but trying not to do any lowering.
I wonder how the 20s look with stock suspensions, no air. Anyone have them on that can share their pics?
yea, i know 22s would look sweet.
thanks in advance.
Old 11-10-08, 09:22 AM
ironhorse
Driver

I have the Asanti 20 inch on my LS460 with the Wald body kit, I did not want to lower the car either as I think it looks great the way it is. I will try and find some pics for you .
Old 11-10-08, 09:34 AM
bsims_01
Rookie

I've had Vossen 20's on my car for a year now and am quite happy with them. Many on this forum will tell you that the car needs to be lowered. However, I'm quite happy with the look and the ride quality. Here's a link to some pics of my car:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...light=bsims_01
Old 11-10-08, 04:46 PM
USCRugby
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Lowering your car isn't cool.
Old 11-10-08, 05:44 PM
bsims_01
Rookie

My car has not been lowered. Have thought about it, but decided not to. I like it the way it is.
Old 11-10-08, 09:32 PM
rueym
Driver

only lower if it has air suspension, which non L's do not have. The air suspension lets it lower without feeling any difference.
Old 11-10-08, 11:03 PM
SoCalSC4
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by USCRugby
Lowering your car isn't cool.
Says the guy from NC.

Sounds about right.
Old 11-10-08, 11:58 PM
USCRugby
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Also be sure to get the Fuzzy Dice. That's a must says the guy from NC.
Old 11-11-08, 07:03 AM
ironhorse
Driver

You will get a lot of people who say the car looks better lowered, for me I don't think so.
The ride with the 20's is great, just get a good set of tires and you will be happy. Also the other thing to think about is the money you will lose when you sell the car. I added the wald kit knowing that the money I spent on it will be lost when I trade the car in, however the money I spent on the wheels and tires was not a waste as I can put them on the new car as long as it is a lexus with the same bolt pattern.. just my 2 cents.......
Old 11-11-08, 09:42 AM
rueym
Driver

Originally Posted by ironhorse
You will get a lot of people who say the car looks better lowered, for me I don't think so.
The ride with the 20's is great, just get a good set of tires and you will be happy. Also the other thing to think about is the money you will lose when you sell the car. I added the wald kit knowing that the money I spent on it will be lost when I trade the car in, however the money I spent on the wheels and tires was not a waste as I can put them on the new car as long as it is a lexus with the same bolt pattern.. just my 2 cents.......
normally when someone is fed up with the car and you're ready to sell it, chances are they won't bother spending the time to salvage upgrade parts from it, if doing so is too much hassle. In your example, you'd probably risk the wheels being out of date or not match the new car where probably you wont want them. Also, once wheels are old style and not in demand they fetch a very low price. Point in mind is that why bother about maximizing value when you fix up cars when the end result is you would lose money. This is a hobby that burns cash and we have to realize that. Just go with what looks nice and works well for your goals.

I've learned the best way to fix up a car is to do is to go no more than what the factory would let a car go on sale in stock format. With all that said I'm for the 20's because never would a luxury car manufacturer put more than 20's or profile of 35 or less on the tires for a stock car to keep the ride acceptable to most people and to most road conditions. Everyone keeps going with 22's but the suspension and the various road elements make it less forgiving.

But as far as lowering, I don't see how one can get some sporty rims and not lower it to evenly match the stance of the car. The problem I see is the tuners don't lower it to a factory spec tolerance as they know the aftermarket crowd wants their cars "dumped". You can typically lower a car .75 to 1 inch without sacrificing ride quality and just have enough of a lowered look without being "propped". However, it would be a waste for aftermarket tuners to do this because people won't probably spend the money for something so minor. Dinan for BMW's always preached this to his engineering staff because after 1 inch suspension geometry is altered and something will have to give.

AMG and M Power divisions of mercedes know this too and they never lower their cars more than ~1 inch.
Old 11-11-08, 09:42 AM
rueym
Driver

keep this thread open so i can post my 20's once the order is complete. there's a 1 month lead on some VIP modulars I got from a SEMA special.
Old 11-11-08, 01:11 PM
bugatti
Driver

Originally Posted by bsims_01
I've had Vossen 20's on my car for a year now and am quite happy with them. Many on this forum will tell you that the car needs to be lowered. However, I'm quite happy with the look and the ride quality. Here's a link to some pics of my car:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...light=bsims_01

Bsims, thanks for posting the pics.
Old 11-12-08, 07:56 AM
DKNY
Rookie

I got 20's on mine. Astani's Michelin Sport Tires:
245/40 & 275/35-20 tires

I'm actually terminating my lease within the next 4 weeks, 20 months old , if anyone is interested in these rims with send me a PM.

Here are the pics:

Old 11-12-08, 06:14 PM
rueym
Driver

Originally Posted by DKNY
I got 20's on mine. Astani's Michelin Sport Tires:
245/40 & 275/35-20 tires

I'm actually terminating my lease within the next 4 weeks, 20 months old , if anyone is interested in these rims with send me a PM.

Here are the pics:

hey what a small world, i saw you two months ago on the holland tunnel...but if i recall correctly you didn't have wheels yet?
Old 03-21-09, 06:56 PM
vipjason
Lead Lap

20' are too small..... need 21' or 22'

Quick Reply: Anyone got 20s on their LS?