LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

What does it take to program TPMS?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-08, 11:48 AM
WhitBaby
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What does it take to program TPMS?

I have two sets of wheels with mounted tires and TPMS.

I also have the 7-character codes for all of the TPMS sensors and which wheels they are mounted in.

Lexus wants $60 to reprogram these everytime I change the wheels/tires as the seasons change.

I see on the Walmart page that they can do it for $20.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/catalog.gsp?cat=495845

There can't be a lot of high tech stuff involved here. Could probably be done with a laptop, the proper software and a usb to OBD2 cable.

Is anyone aware if this stuff is available anywhere?

Thanks,

Whit
Old 10-06-08, 04:15 PM
boxcarfan
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

lol ok heres how it goes.

first set, the little code on each sensor is already put in the TPMS computer. and you leave the "Main - 2nd set" switch on MAIN, cause thats your main set of tires, duh lol.

now if you want another set, then your gonna have to get the little code off each NEW sensor and if your gonna keep the spare where its at then you will need to get the code off that one,
So, once you got all the codes for your SECOND SET of tires, at the dealer we use the TechStream, and i go into a program that sets it up, and it will ask for all 5 codes, i type them in one at a time, THE WHOLE TIME YOUR DOING THIS YOU SWITCH IT OVER TO 2nd SET!, then your pretty much done.

so long story short, the dealer will have to program it once. so when you run summer tires, you have the switch on MAIN, then when you put your winter tires on, just switch it over the 2nd SET. give it 10 mins. to pick up all the codes, this only has to be done once, not every time you switch from summer to winter tires!

at the shop we have a little device that will tell what the code is by putting it up to the valve steam, so you dont have to break the tire down just to get a code.
Old 10-07-08, 08:30 AM
jlawr
Lead Lap

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Where is the "Main" / "2nd Set" switch in an LS 460?
Old 10-07-08, 11:05 AM
WhitBaby
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by boxcarfan
lol ok heres how it goes.

first set, the little code on each sensor is already put in the TPMS computer. and you leave the "Main - 2nd set" switch on MAIN, cause thats your main set of tires, duh lol.

Well, super tech, the '08 LS460 doesn't seem to have the '2nd Set' option anymore. My '06 GS430 had it and probably others, but not the new ones...duh.

;->

Whit
Old 10-07-08, 12:41 PM
boxcarfan
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

well im no super tech, sorry to dissapoint you. guess your just gonna have to waste your money then huh?
Old 10-08-08, 02:38 PM
phoenix_DD
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what if the dealer decides not to type the codes into the 2nd set but re-write the codes in the main set?

and if the current LS don't have a 2nd set, would it be wise to just buy a second set of TPMS Sensors?
Old 10-08-08, 06:01 PM
WhitBaby
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by phoenix_DD
what if the dealer decides not to type the codes into the 2nd set but re-write the codes in the main set?

and if the current LS don't have a 2nd set, would it be wise to just buy a second set of TPMS Sensors?

I'm guessing that's what they would do, just overwrite the previous codes whenever I switch back and forth.

I do have a second set of new TPMS in the second set of tires/wheels.

I just hate to pay $60 twice a year for something as simple as keying in a few strokes on their Gameboy...especially when earlier Lexus cars had this second set feature.

Maybe I'll check around with some Toyota dealers or just let the winter tires alarm away without having them reprogrammed.

Other manufacturers don't have a problem with others doing the reprogramming. Lexus considers everything 'proprietary' to keep you shackled into their little kingdom with no choices.

I'll bet they're really pi$$ed that others are making oil/air filters for their chariots. ;->

Whit
Old 10-08-08, 06:17 PM
Whipple1
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will be getting a new set of wheels soon and was wondering about the sensors,I would like to use one set for the winter and the other for summer,I was wondering if we can special order duplicate sensors(serial #s) because I will have to purchase them anyway,you can only put one set of wheels on at a time anyway,so a duplicate set wont confuse anything, I guess only if you park right next to your 2nd set .
Old 10-10-08, 10:45 AM
WhitBaby
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Whipple1
I will be getting a new set of wheels soon and was wondering about the sensors,I would like to use one set for the winter and the other for summer,I was wondering if we can special order duplicate sensors(serial #s) because I will have to purchase them anyway,you can only put one set of wheels on at a time anyway,so a duplicate set wont confuse anything, I guess only if you park right next to your 2nd set .
The folks at Sewell Lexus said it was unlikely I could get an identical set. They come off the assembly line as random as possible to minimize interference chances. You might have better luck checking with Pacific as they make them for Lexus.

Ya know Schrader also makes them that are supposed to be compatible with the LS460 at about 1/3 the cost, via Walmart. Might be worth checking with them.

Whit