LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

How far can the LS460 go w/o the key being present

Old 08-05-08, 02:40 PM
LS600guy
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by encore888
This is one of those things with the SmartAccess system and the LS quiet engine, which has led to some drivers parking their car at the supermarket, going shopping, and coming back to realize that they (carelessly) left the engine running. But IIRC the car will not lock if the engine is still on...?
What's IIRC?

This was my experience too in the first few days of ownership. The engine would go into battery mode when I parked, and in the silence I would blithely walk away and do my business. Did it twice before I got into a 'check first' pattern.

But from memory (can't be bothered opening up the garage and checking right now) if you try to lock the car with the engine on - either running or in battery mode - it will beep until you figure out the reason.

--------------------------
2007 LS600hL, 5 seat
2000 LX470 (traded)

Mercedes SL500 AMG (sun)
Mercedes SLK 230 (wife)
Suzuki Grand Vitara (rain & runaround)
Old 08-05-08, 04:00 PM
Johnny
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

IIRC = If I Read Correctly or If It Really Counts or If I Recall Correctly and is usually a symptom of memory loss...

So in fact, you could have used it at the opening of your second paragraph...
Old 08-05-08, 06:14 PM
LS600guy
Rookie

Originally Posted by Burnaby
IIRC = If I Read Correctly or If It Really Counts or If I Recall Correctly and is usually a symptom of memory loss...

So in fact, you could have used it at the opening of your second paragraph...
Thanks. In fact I don't use acronyms as they exclude untutored people like me from the 'inner circle' of early internet devotees. In fact I can tell your age to within a couple of months by the ones you use

Instead I use Shortkeys.com, whereby any word, acronym or phrase can instantly be typed in full by by the computer-machine. With a little effort I will be able to write a complete novel using only the letters qwerhgfvnvlkknvlclcmnklvm.

2007 LS600hL, 5 seat
2000 LX470 (traded)

Mercedes SL500 AMG (sun)
Mercedes SLK 230 (wife)
Old 08-05-08, 06:23 PM
LS600guy
Rookie

Back to the subject - yes, I can confirm that when the engine is on or in battery mode, you can lock the doors - but a constant and loud beep will continue to annoy you as you walk away for at least 20 seconds.

2007 LS600hL, 5 seat
2000 LX470 (traded)

Mercedes SL500 AMG (sun)
Mercedes SLK 230 (wife)
Old 08-05-08, 08:29 PM
Nospinzone

Received 406 Likes on 314 Posts

So let me get this straight. If I were to steal a running unattended LS460, as long as I didn't shut the engine off, I could keep driving it? If that's the case, even if the gas door didn't open, its simple enough to pop open. And surely the hood latch works so I could change the air filter, and add coolant and windshield wiper fluid as needed.

Heck, after 100K miles I could even change the plugs. I mean it would be hot, but if I wore Ove Gloves and did one at a time (which I do even when the engine isn't running) it would just run rough for a few seconds while the one plug was missing.

Now the oil change could be tricky. It would have to be a kind of rolling oil change where you drain the oil as you add new oil. I imagine the filter change could also be a tad messy. Almost certainly you would have to use 3 or 4 times the normal amount of oil, but when you consider I'm getting an LS460 for free, that's a small price to pay.

The only problem I can't get past is at $4.25 per gallon, even if I just drove 4 hours per day and idled the car for 20 hours per day, it would cost me about $43,500 a year in gas .................... nervermind!

Last edited by Nospinzone; 08-05-08 at 08:54 PM.
Old 08-05-08, 09:24 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Interestingly, in my experience the valet key on the LS 430 does not work with SmartAccess....does the LS 460 one do that? I also found out recently there was even a separate key lock cylinder for the trunk/etc. releases on the LS 400...

Originally Posted by Burnaby
Thank you for clarifying that, and also for your helpful posts!

Originally Posted by LS600guy
Thanks. In fact I don't use acronyms as they exclude untutored people like me from the 'inner circle' of early internet devotees. In fact I can tell your age to within a couple of months by the ones you use
Interesting ideas, sometimes though typing gets lazy...
Old 08-07-08, 02:06 AM
joelkrh
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default You can lock your car while the engine's running!

Originally Posted by garyr
MythBuster,

I felt great knowing I could let the car run, letting the air or heat run in the car keeping it comfortable while I ran into a convenience store for a minute knowing my car could not be stolen because I had the electronic key, but that is simply not true.

I'm going to answer the next post because I don't feel like hearing about it; why would you keep your engine running and not be in the car, thats unsafe, irresponsible, negligent and just plan dumb.
If you say live in hot weather climates like where i am, sometimes the temperature goes up to like 37 degrees celsius, and its terribly hot, especially if your interior is black. What i am aware of, is that you can actually get in, start you car, and if you want to leave you car running for say five minutes while you go get changed for work or something, you can press the lock button on the KEY FOB and the doors will lock with the engine still running. You wont be able to get in unless you use the actual KEY, or press the unlock button on the KEY FOB. This does not only apply to the Hybrid Lexus's.

Lexus did think about it. But actually to be honest, this whole keyless system started with the S Class, Lexus just made it better. (I had a friend who owned an S350, and the keyless entry system was terribly unreliable, throughout his three year of ownership, they changed the entire system FOUR times.)

Cheers!
Old 08-07-08, 04:04 AM
LS600guy
Rookie

[QUOTE - joelkrh]...What i am aware of, is that you can actually get in, start you car, and if you want to leave you car running for say five minutes while you go get changed for work or something, you can press the lock button on the KEY FOB and the doors will lock with the engine still running....[/QUOTE]

joelkrh - what model is yours?

Maybe this doesn't apply to the LS600h.

I was a bit confused over this, since in my earlier post I found that my LS600h made a long beep when I tried to lock the door with the engine running.

So just now I went out to the garage and ran the test again. This time I was unable to lock the doors while the engine was running, but there was no warning beep. Even taking the key out of range did nothing.

The LS600h manual says: "The door cannot be locked if the POWER switch is in ACC or ON mode, or the electronic key is left inside the vehicle."

2007 LS600hL, 5 seat
2000 LX470 (traded)

Mercedes SL500 AMG (sun)
Mercedes SLK 230 (wife)
Old 08-07-08, 07:50 AM
joelkrh
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LS600 guy: I'm not sure, but somehow the Lexus cars here can do it, am in the midst of acquiring a LS460 SWB, and the doors actually locked with the KEY FOB, when the button was pressed, it was done accidentally due the Sales Agent leaning over the engine hood to check the vin number, anyway what happened, was a flash of the signal lights, and the doors locked.

The Lexus cars in Singapore are different in features though, our base model comes equipped with stuff like auto doors/trunk closing, rear seat upgrade, four zone climate control. But no sat nav.

Sorry if i got you excited for nothing!
Old 08-07-08, 12:15 PM
LS600guy
Rookie

Originally Posted by joelkrh
...Sorry if i got you excited for nothing!
No problem. I'm finding out more about the LS from this forum than from the owners manual

2007 LS600hL, 5 seat
2000 LX470 (traded)

Mercedes SL500 AMG (sun)
Mercedes SLK 230 (wife)