Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the LS600h L model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the LS600h. Please use the main 4LS forum for discussion about shared components with other fourth generation LS models.

My experience comparing an S-Class with LS600h

Old 07-05-08, 11:10 AM
LS600guy
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My experience comparing an S-Class with LS600h

I've just finished driving a Mercedes S320 Cdi (diesel) round UK for 2 weeks and about 1200 miles. Then I spent the last 2 days back in my LS600h, which I owned for 1 week before the trip.

So I'm in a good position to make a comparison between two similar and opposing cars after I had driven both for around the same timeframe, and as a new driver to both.

To start at the end of the test - the LS600 kicks butt. It was outright better in many ways - not just one or two subtle differences.

The first thing I noticed when I got into the Lexus at the airport back home (dropped off there an hour before I returned to the country... all part of the mighty Lexus experience!) was that the LS600 oozed luxury I had forgotten about. It was more comfortable, looked better inside than the Merc with a more sophisticated leather/wood combination, and overall the interior was better designed. The S-class was nice with the same amount of wood/leather, but lacked the X factor feeling of superior design. No question the Merc has a quality look, but manages to feel less so after a few miles and you get used to it. The LS still looks good even after the initial experience wears off.

As soon as I pulled out of the airport park - to the amusement of the couple getting into their car in the next bay who were obviously wondering how I managed to move along on the flat without any sound - the upmarket feel was magnified by the near-silence in the interior. There was no road noise at low speed, and barely a whispery growl from the engine when it seamlessly kicked in. I couldn't hear the wind or traffic because of the double thickness glass - an option available for the S-class generally but not given on my hire car that I could tell. The S320 also lost points because it had a somewhat clattery diesel that made the car sound cheap. By contrast the muted sound of the LS V8 engine gave an pleasant feeling of sumptuousness.

The true test came on the open road. As I accelerated the LS, nothing changed... the engine sound was barely magnified, the ride remained soft and pliant. The Mercedes accelerated well, but made hard work of it... there wasn't the impression you were being wafted along like the LS.

I found the S320 also soaked up bumps and ridges quite well without the porpising that the LS exhibits on 'comfort' setting, but the wallowing didn't bother me unduly.

This comparison was a turning point for me because in my first week of ownership I thought the LS600 ride seemed hard and bumpy. I complained about it in a couple of posts here, so making a direct comparison between the two modes of transport just days apart was a great advantage. Fact is - the LS600 simply has the Mercedes beat for comfort. The Lexus is a vastly better drive, design and ride than its rival.

But I had to make the physical comparison over many miles in order to realize it.

Other features were harder to compare. The sat-navs were different to use but equally as good. I liked the S320 way of just a single **** for address input on the center armrest, and it became very easy to use. I also liked the way the Mercedes gear change was made using a single lever on the steering wheel (exactly in the same position and size as the LS cruise control). Up for R, down for D. To park from Drive or Reverse you simply press the **** on the end of the lever. If you press the foot brake a little harder at rest, it will engage the handbrake and you press the accelerator a little to release it. Nice.

But these details weren't enough to overcome the vastly better features and ride experience that make up the LS600. Even my wife - who drives a bumpy SLK - thought the LS was many steps above the Merc for seating and ride comfort.

Compared to the Mercedes, my experience is that the LS600 is 10 times better and I probably would have to compare it now to a Bentley or Rolls Royce to get any improvement.

I was an advocate of the LX470, and I am now also an unashamed admirer of the Lexus LS brand!

--------------------------
2007 LS600hL, 5 seat
2000 LX470 (traded)

Mercedes SL500 AMG (sun car)
Mercedes SLK 230 (wife)
Suzuki Grand Vitara (rain & runaround)
Old 07-05-08, 11:50 AM
MythBuster
Driver

do you consider the s320(Diesel), and Lexus ls600 of the same class?

Old 07-05-08, 12:05 PM
miniz
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

You would have needed to compare an S500L (new body style UK) to your car. Putting a short wheelbase CDI up against a brand new gasoline based long wheelbase car is not a comp. They are in two different categories.
Old 07-05-08, 12:07 PM
Johnny
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

The S series is marketed as a higher class of automobile. The 320 may not be as amply equipped as the 500 Series, but it is nevertheless a cut above and is arguably, fair comparison.
Old 07-05-08, 01:49 PM
RX_330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Er, how is the S320 CDI supposed to compare with the LS600hL again?
Old 07-05-08, 02:04 PM
LS600guy
Rookie

Originally Posted by RX_330
Er, how is the S320 CDI supposed to compare with the LS600hL again?
Obviously the 6 cyl diesel motor is not a 5 litre petrol/hybrid V8, but the comparitive levels of comfort, gadget options and fit-out are all there in the S320. After all, the LS is meant to be competing against the S-class. I was just a little downmarket for my test when it came to engines

Other similarities are body length and designation - and both cars are designed both for driving and being driven.

The only thing that stopped me hiring a better model was because this was the top of the line at Hertz. The only thing stopping me making comparisions with a Bentley was finding one someone will let me drive.
Old 07-05-08, 02:10 PM
RX_330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by LS600guy
Obviously the 6 cyl diesel motor is not a 5 litre petrol/hybrid V8, but the comparitive levels of comfort, gadget options and fit-out are all there in the S320. After all, the LS is meant to be competing against the S-class. I was just a little downmarket for my test when it came to engines

Other similarities are body length and designation - and both cars are designed both for driving and being driven.

The only thing that stopped me hiring a better model was because this was the top of the line at Hertz. The only thing stopping me making comparisions with a Bentley was finding one someone will let me drive.
Interior appointments of the S320 are inferior to those of the S600.

It's a fuji apple to granny smith apple comparison. Close, but no cigar.
Old 07-05-08, 02:23 PM
LS600guy
Rookie

I thought all S-class were the same with different engine specs, but it seemed I was wrong.

Looks like I'll have to find me an S500L, but maybe I'll spend the time driving my purchase instead.

2007 LS600hL, 5 seat
2000 LX470 (traded)

Mercedes SL500 AMG (sun)
Mercedes SLK 230 (wife)
Old 07-05-08, 06:01 PM
venom_v8
Rookie

OP you have a very nice car and you should just enjoy. Please do not try anymore vehicle comparisons. My advice to you would be, drop by a merc dealer and just test sit in a s600 not test drive because you might hit a wall if you take it out thinking the car has the same power as your ls600h . I had the pleasure of driving a ls600h for 6 months then had it shipped over sea. The Ls has a very comfortable ride and decent gas milage, that is the only good thing I can say about the car. The Ls chassis is too floaty and not stable at high speed. My wife loved that car. I purchased a s600 after the LS was shipped and loved it from the day it was delivered. The ride is not as smooth as the Ls but it handles soo much better. The interior room of the S is larger with bigger trunk but smaller glove and center compartment. The S would destroy the LS in any type of race. I have taken my S to 160mph+ on a trip to vegas, the car felt as stable as if it was doing just 90mph. Lexus claims the LS600h was made to compete against the S600 but they miserably failed.

Last edited by venom_v8; 07-05-08 at 06:10 PM. Reason: spell
Old 07-05-08, 08:27 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Thx LS600guy for your impressions!!! I think it is a valid comparison as far as generally looking at the classes, naturally performance is not matched between the two but having sat inside the LS 460 and LS 600h L, the interior/design/comfort aspect is an interesting general comparison with the S320 and S600. Each car/class has its strengths and your post highlighted several. I do think the LS 600h competes favorably against the top-of-the-line rivals from other makes in key areas, not all necessarily, but it does achieve a high level of comfort, quiet, technical wizardy, and above that is a hybrid.
Old 07-06-08, 01:12 AM
LS600guy
Rookie

Originally Posted by venom_v8
...I purchased a s600 after the LS was shipped and loved it from the day it was delivered. The ride is not as smooth as the Ls but it handles soo much better...
Interesting to hear that. My impression was that the S320 had a hard time making the corners, and tilted alarmingly, but handled the bumps very well. But as you said, the LS600 does wallow, and that's a bit disconcerting.

Overall I was impressed with the LS600's ride, and look forward to trying out a S500 or S600. You never know what happens when - or if - I get tired of the Lexus. (I never thought I'd depart from Mercedes, and now look what happened).
Old 07-06-08, 01:27 AM
LS600guy
Rookie

Originally Posted by encore888
Thx LS600guy for your impressions!!! I think it is a valid comparison as far as generally looking at the classes...
Thanks, but I now wonder whether it is actually worthwhile comparing them. On a feature-by-feature basis it's relatively simple to tick the boxes and make item comparisons easily, but the x-factor of overall satisfaction is very subjective.

2007 LS600hL, 5 seat
2000 LX470 (traded)

Mercedes SL500 AMG (sun)
Mercedes SLK 230 (wife)
Old 07-06-08, 01:32 AM
LS600guy
Rookie

Originally Posted by venom_v8
OP you have a very nice car and you should just enjoy. Please do not try anymore vehicle comparisons....
My main problem initially with the LS600 was the 'harsh' ride. After I tried out a Jag and the S320, I realised I had the best car and so was able to rest easy.

Without doing the comparison I would have been a very disappointed buyer.

2007 LS600hL, 5 seat
2000 LX470 (traded)

Mercedes SL500 AMG (sun)
Mercedes SLK 230 (wife)
Old 07-06-08, 07:25 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 186 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by LS600guy
Interesting to hear that. My impression was that the S320 had a hard time making the corners, and tilted alarmingly, but handled the bumps very well. But as you said, the LS600 does wallow, and that's a bit disconcerting.

Overall I was impressed with the LS600's ride, and look forward to trying out a S500 or S600. You never know what happens when - or if - I get tired of the Lexus. (I never thought I'd depart from Mercedes, and now look what happened).
The S600 comes standard with Active Body Control (so do the S63 & S65 AMG models), which the lower S-Class models like the S350 & diesel models do not have, & I believe it's an option for the S500/550 in the U.S.

The Active Body Control is an active suspension system that enables the car to stay flat during cornering & with no dip during stops, the S320 you drove will not handle nearly the same without that set-up.
Old 07-06-08, 09:23 AM
irieblue
Driver School Candidate

Talking

Can you use your Phone or enter a destination on the Nav while driving your LS600hL?

You really need to drive a S class with Active Body control before you make this comparison, or even one with the Drive Dynamic seats, I don't think this is a fair apples to apples comparison.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: My experience comparing an S-Class with LS600h