LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Things you notice on a 3,500-mile trip ...

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-08, 09:34 AM
WhitBaby
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Calculations: actual MPG vs. "After Refueling" MPG indication.

Originally Posted by WhitBaby
Burn -

Thanks, it's hell to be stupid but no joy.

Couldn't find the above thread, even searched by thread title and 'sidgriggs', still no joy.

Whit
Burn -

Disregard...found it.

That's not what I was asking...

Looks like Sidgriggs was most diligent in record keeping and manually calculating it out to 3 decimal places.

What I was asking was, has anyone actually compared the MPG obtained with the manually calculated MPG (as Sidgriggs did) vs. the "After Refueling" MPG indicated on the dash.

I wonder how the car knows how much fuel was actually pumped into the tank to arrive at the "After Refueling" figure? I.E. there's 'fillups' like from the rental car places and there's 'fillups' like you do yourself.

Whit
Old 05-14-08, 11:12 AM
garyr
Pole Position

Thought the board was slow......MikeTX was on vacation.

I have no complaints about my car being stable at any speed. With the touring package the car lowers itself at highway speeds. I guess I also have wider tires than stock and variable steering. My car is rock solid at any speed any weather, just whistles a little inside.

My trans also down shifts and up-shifts perfectly. When I'm at hwy speeds and need to pass or need top performance I pull the shifter over to manual mode and it down shifts out of overdrive at cruise speeds that makes it very responsive.

Fuel millage is great for this car, very impressive but I get nowhere near 30mph on trips.

Yup..nav s@cks

Very impressive Mike you are taking pictures at 80mph.....I sometimes take pics on my motorcycle. I emailed my friend some pics of a ride and he had to point out my speedo in one picture was reading 120mph, he made it his screen saver.

Great write up.....
Old 05-14-08, 02:49 PM
Mike_TX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Gary! Are you saying I keep the board lively?

Whit - I haven't checked the LS specifically, but I've checked a number of my other cars and I've found only a tiny discrepancy if any at all. It might be a couple of tenths off one way one time, and a couple of tenths off the other way another time, so I figure it's pretty accurate over time.

The system doesn't measure the amount of gas you add in a given fill-up ... it measures the gas as it flows through the fuel pump, so it registers the gas you actually use. Then it compares that to the miles you traveled, and gives you the result. So it doesn't matter whether you add only a half-tank or a full tank when you gas up.

BTW, the biggest opportunity for error is probably in the speedometer. If it reads fast (which is not uncommon), you're actually traveling fewer miles than the odometer shows, so your gas mileage isn't as good as you think. I try to check my speedo when I see those speedometer check places on the highway, but I haven't yet run across one with the LS.

Old 05-14-08, 11:06 PM
350Dave
Lead Lap

I am in awe how my rental Camry had zero speedometer error (checked against my laptop GPS), but the Lexus is at best 3 MPH off, (in favor of shortening my warranty)...
Old 05-15-08, 07:52 AM
Mike_TX
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 350Dave
I am in awe how my rental Camry had zero speedometer error (checked against my laptop GPS), but the Lexus is at best 3 MPH off, (in favor of shortening my warranty)...
Yeah, I've been intending to check the LS against the Garmin 250W in the wife's car, but I hardwired it in and it's a pain to pull it out just for a test. But I suspect - based on those construction-zone signs that display your speed - that the LS is reading a smidge fast.

Anyone checked theirs against a good source like GPS?

Old 05-15-08, 09:19 AM
WhitBaby
Lead Lap

Default Indicated vs. actual Speedo

Mike sez...

The system doesn't measure the amount of gas you add in a given fill-up ... it measures the gas as it flows through the fuel pump, so it registers the gas you actually use. Then it compares that to the miles you traveled, and gives you the result. So it doesn't matter whether you add only a half-tank or a full tank when you gas up.

I didn't know that, thanks.

BTW, the biggest opportunity for error is probably in the speedometer.

My last four Honda bikes run typically 3% higher indicated speed than actual (re Garmin 2610), but I find the odometer to be pretty much right on. This kinda leads me to think the speedo error is intentional.
Old 05-15-08, 10:56 AM
trocade
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't have a LS460, but when it comes to the navi on the ISx50 you have a dual view, one zoomed in, and one zoomed out. I always used that one, so i would get an overview of the area, and one covered only 100 meters so that you could see all small roads and such.
Old 05-15-08, 12:06 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

^^^
Ah yes, the dual view is also available on the LS 460...good suggestion!
Old 05-15-08, 12:36 PM
Mike_TX
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by trocade
I don't have a LS460, but when it comes to the navi on the ISx50 you have a dual view, one zoomed in, and one zoomed out. I always used that one, so i would get an overview of the area, and one covered only 100 meters so that you could see all small roads and such.
That's a good thought. But I like to have all possible screen real estate available for a quick glance. Cutting it in half gives me the equivalent of a 4" screen and its' harder to make things out with a quick look.

The thing is that I've used a number of other Nav systems that supply more information, and that's the basis for my "gripe".

If you drive with the Nav set on, say, the 1-mile scale, all the secondary highways and towns will show up, but you don't get a perspective of the overall area like you would at the 8-mile or 16-mile scale. It's like trying to navigate by looking at a state map with everything blanked out except an area the size of a dime. It's so much better to have the "big picture", especially when you're trying to take it in in a quick glance.

And to be honest, I really think it's intentional on Lexus' part ... it's their "mommy" mindset that you shouldn't be looking at the darn thing while you're driving anyway, so we're not going to make it too interesting. That's a shame, because a good Nav system is a terrific tool when it's not hobbled by over-protective nannies.

Old 05-19-08, 07:29 AM
PatsSoxfan
Lead Lap

I just finished about a 900 mile round trip to Duluth, MN and back (went up on Friday and came back late yesterday). On the way way north on I-35, against a strong northwest wind, I averaged 27.2 mpg. Coming back south yesterday, there was a strong northwest wind once again (obviously of some aid but not as much as a true tail wind). This time I was averaging 29.4 mpg. However, during a major construction in the Twin Cities area, we had stop and go traffic for about 45 minutes. This brought the overall average down to 28.6 for the trip back home. That is pretty darn good.
Old 05-19-08, 12:00 PM
Mike_TX
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by PatsSoxfan
I just finished about a 900 mile round trip to Duluth, MN and back (went up on Friday and came back late yesterday). On the way way north on I-35, against a strong northwest wind, I averaged 27.2 mpg. Coming back south yesterday, there was a strong northwest wind once again (obviously of some aid but not as much as a true tail wind). This time I was averaging 29.4 mpg. However, during a major construction in the Twin Cities area, we had stop and go traffic for about 45 minutes. This brought the overall average down to 28.6 for the trip back home. That is pretty darn good.
Absolutely. And I chuckled when I heard an ad for the Chevy Aveo the other day ... they were crowing that it could get 34mpg on the highway!

I'll more than happily give up 4 mpg just to not have to drive a roller-skate Aveo.

Old 05-19-08, 01:19 PM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike_TX
I hear ya, mini.

BTW, I also meant to point out that at 80mph on a flat road, my car tachs about 1950rpm. That's klller, and of course the prime reason for the great mileage.

1950 rpm @ 80mph? whoa, my RX 300 AWD would be somewhere around 3,500 rpm.(btw) nice car!
Old 05-19-08, 03:03 PM
Audriuss
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just to make some more pluses to EVT of LS600hL, going on flat (no uphill or down hill) at around 210km/h (130miles/h) tach reads at around 2500...great mpg on high speed either...
Old 05-19-08, 03:14 PM
Mike_TX
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Audriuss
130miles/h tach reads at around 2500
WOW!

Old 05-19-08, 04:22 PM
ghenley
Rookie

Great thread. I just drove 1300 miles in my 1998 LS400. The ride (after replacing the motor and transmission mounts) was fantastic. I think Lexus just makes great riding cars. I'm also fortunate enough to own a 2007 LS460 which I'm looking forward to driving from Atlanta to Tampa later this week. Strangely enough, the main things I missed with the LS 400 were the IPOD link and the Navigation system.

Greg

Quick Reply: Things you notice on a 3,500-mile trip ...