LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

LS460 Wind Noise Fix (continued discussion)

Old 06-23-08, 02:58 PM
Johnny
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by jmcraney
I was at the dealership mid last week and the customer relations rep told me that Lexus has not yet come out with anything like what I suggested and until Lexus authorizes it they will not do that sort of repair.
You know JMc, my dealer told me that they get around this lack of a TSIB stumbling block by handling it is as a customer generated warranty issue, as they did in my case. The front window replacement did not have an equivalent in Canada until a few months later, so they used this to bend Lexus Corporate's arm. For anyone weighing the yea or nay of the window replacement, look at it as an upgrade, as the Lamisafe front window is more soundproof than the Temperlite variety, and it provides additional security against would be intruders.
Old 06-23-08, 02:59 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks jmcraney and everyone, your continued helpful efforts are valued contributions!

Originally Posted by dc935
Would u guys still recommend taking car for tsib fixes or bypassing that altogether and just going straight for the DIY fix? Never really listened for the wind noise (i will now) as the ML is always booming
While the official dealer-done TSIB fix probably can help (adding the laminated glass is an 'upgrade' like Burnaby mentioned--and it may mitigate some wind noise), I would still keep in mind that some steps involve taking apart door panels IIRC, and there is the risk that the trim can be scratched and/or the result is not as 'perfect' as the factory fit and finish. IF you do not have a significant wind noise problem, I would advise you to consider carefully what steps to take, and at least have a clear discussion with your service advisor on what will happen. Perhaps the triangular DIY fix may be less invasive and provide benefits. It's all up to you.

Last edited by encore888; 06-23-08 at 03:04 PM.
Old 06-26-08, 03:48 PM
djay
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Watch out for Window Tinting

I thought you would find this interesting. I applied "the fix" to my '08 LS460, and it help considerably but there was still more wind noise than I felt was acceptable. I took the car in today for the 1000 check up, and ask the service tech to look at the situation. They came back and asked me about my window tinting. It seems that when the tinting retailer put the door panel back on, they did not install it quite right and there was a gap between the window and the gasket. The dealer fixed the issue. This combined with re-seating the triangle fix has eliminated 98%+ of the very noticeable wind noise. I am going to keep my eye on this seal between the window and door gasket to make sure it dose not "give" as the wear and tear of opening and closing the windows increases. But as of now, I am riding very wind noise free. For those you get their windows tinted, watch out and make sure they re-install everything flush.
Thanks again for your help.
Old 06-26-08, 06:01 PM
CEOEngr
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by djay
I thought you would find this interesting. I applied "the fix" to my '08 LS460, and it help considerably but there was still more wind noise than I felt was acceptable. I took the car in today for the 1000 check up, and ask the service tech to look at the situation. They came back and asked me about my window tinting. It seems that when the tinting retailer put the door panel back on, they did not install it quite right and there was a gap between the window and the gasket. The dealer fixed the issue. This combined with re-seating the triangle fix has eliminated 98%+ of the very noticeable wind noise. I am going to keep my eye on this seal between the window and door gasket to make sure it dose not "give" as the wear and tear of opening and closing the windows increases. But as of now, I am riding very wind noise free. For those you get their windows tinted, watch out and make sure they re-install everything flush.
Thanks again for your help.
I am lost, please clarify.

The tint on my car was installed by a sub working for the dealer . Later I went to the subs shop to have the clear bra installed on my teenagers' IS350, and while waiting, I observed them tinting other new LS460 (ies) and did not see them take anything apart and or remove.
Old 06-26-08, 06:04 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 183 Likes on 142 Posts

they loosen up my door panels when tinting. the bottom front could be hard for some tint to be applied and squeezed, especially hard films like huper optik. it's not a MUST to loosen up door panel, but some do that to make install easier
Old 06-26-08, 07:13 PM
CEOEngr
Intermediate

Henry - Thanks.
Old 06-30-08, 10:41 AM
Jamminx
Driver School Candidate

My car SWB LS460 is 2 weeks old and I took it on a trip yesterday and noticed the infamous swooshing sound. Sounds like a leak in the window. Do the 08's have the new upgraded windows? Do you guys suggest going through the dealer initially and then attempt the fix or go straight to the fix?
Old 06-30-08, 12:34 PM
WhitBaby
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Jamminx
My car SWB LS460 is 2 weeks old and I took it on a trip yesterday and noticed the infamous swooshing sound. Sounds like a leak in the window. Do the 08's have the new upgraded windows? Do you guys suggest going through the dealer initially and then attempt the fix or go straight to the fix?
I'd take it to the dealer first. Then at least you'll be on record as being dissatisfied with all the noise in a new $70K+ Lexus.

If their 'fix' still doesn't work, make sure you let them know you're still dissatisfied.

In a few days you'll be contacted by Corporate Lexus Customer Satisfaction department. They'll make you some 'goodwill' offers as recompense....believe me, they're worth listening to.

Whit
Old 06-30-08, 12:40 PM
Jamminx
Driver School Candidate

Thanks Just set up an appointment for Monday. The Service rep said he thought this was only a problem with the 07 models.
Old 06-30-08, 01:05 PM
jmcraney

Received 254 Likes on 194 Posts
Default Wind Noise Fix

I can assure you that it is not just the 07s. The 07 and 08 LS460s, SWB and LWB and the LS600s have this problem. I can walk up to any car and tell within seconds, just by looking and or tapping on the triangle trim, if it has this problem. I really don't understand why Lexus and the dealers are continuing with this charade.

I think Whit's advice is right on. But, you are going to have to trade us some of your free comps for this advice.

Last edited by jmcraney; 06-30-08 at 01:39 PM.
Old 06-30-08, 07:01 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

For certain what has happened is that the 08s have some dealer quality control fixes (likely the window seals) plus the laminated glass. These fixes were effective for some 07 owners, as documented on this board, and that they are implemented on the 08s at the factory leads Lexus dealers to state that the problem is on the 07s.

However, as jmcraney states, all 07-08 LS series models have the potential to develop the triangular wind noise problem, which is what the DIY fix detailed in this thread is aimed at. If Lexus reads up on this thread they'll find out that this is the area they should be targeting. Hopefully they will eventually take greater steps towards the implementation of the triangular fix, rather than on a case-by-case basis.
Old 07-05-08, 06:15 PM
PatsSoxfan
Lead Lap

SUCCESS!!

I couple days ago, I finally decided to attempt the triangular fix for the second time on the driver's side only. The first time I did it over a month ago, I don't think I applied enough sealant especially in the gaps. I was careful to first remove the rubbery sealant from both the metal surface behind the trim and from the back of the trim itself that I applied the first time. This time I loaded all the gaps and all the other pertinent places that jmcraney so intelligently discussed in detail with the Permatex Silicone. For the passenger's side, all I did was to apply some silicone on the perimeter (especially in the vicinity of the two large gaps) of the trim without removing it. I am pretty certain that I applied enough sealant on this side the first time I attempted it. I realized at the time that I did not do it correctly for the driver's side and I was more liberal with the sealant.

This time, I can honestly say the results are excellent. I am not going to tell you that the swishing wind sound is completely eliminated. However, I can tell you that it is now very minor. Today, we have strong south winds at 15-30 mph. I was tickled pink when I took it out for a test drive on the Interstate driving at 80 mph. It is SO much quieter than before. The other day with very light winds, I could hardly hear any swishing sound. jmcraney described his car as tomb-like quiet. I think he is right. The tire noise, when going very fast and especially with certain road surfaces is about the only noise one hears that is worth mentioning. I do not think it is possible to eliminate all of swishing wind noise with strong cross winds, but as I mentioned above, it is not a big deal at all now.

Last edited by PatsSoxfan; 07-05-08 at 06:20 PM.
Old 07-07-08, 09:55 AM
jmcraney

Received 254 Likes on 194 Posts

PatsSoxfan,

Congratulations on your success. I know it has been difficult for you but I am sure you will enjoy the benefit and feel it was worth the effort. I continue to marvel how quiet my car is and getting rid of that noise has restored my pride of ownership.

I know that everyone is glad to hear from you and know that you have survived the bad weather and high water.
Old 07-07-08, 10:44 AM
PatsSoxfan
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by jmcraney
PatsSoxfan,

Congratulations on your success. I know it has been difficult for you but I am sure you will enjoy the benefit and feel it was worth the effort. I continue to marvel how quiet my car is and getting rid of that noise has restored my pride of ownership.

I know that everyone is glad to hear from you and know that you have survived the bad weather and high water.
Thanks for your good wishes. As I stated before, Lexus owes you a lot.

My area was very fortunate and we did not get adversely affected by the great floods. The City of Cedar Rapids, IA had by far the greatest flood in their recorded history. It was worse than the "500 year floods" of 1993.
Old 07-07-08, 03:42 PM
Jamminx
Driver School Candidate

Ok just got the car back from the dealer. Here is there fix for the wind noise. Not sure what they did maybe someone can elighten me.

Not sure if the noise is fixed but will try it out over the next few days and let you guys know.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: LS460 Wind Noise Fix (continued discussion)