LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

LS460 Wind Noise Fix (continued discussion)

Old 05-27-08, 04:21 PM
jmcraney

Received 254 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by kbinfl
Whit,

Yes, when the mirrors are folded in the whistling does subside. It also goes away when I put my hand in between the mirror and the trim piece. I don't find it that annoying, but I do notice the noise of cars going by when the windows are raised. So I'm hoping the sealant will remedy this condition. Going out tonight to get the "stuff". How did you remove the trim? Putty knife?

KB
I have posted a step by step procedure in response #9 of this string. And there are pictures in response #10. There is one exception: the preferred sealant is Black Permatex silicone adhesive sealant available at Walmart. Please let us know your results.

Regards,

Jeff
Old 05-28-08, 08:50 AM
WhitBaby
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kbinfl
Whit,
How did you remove the trim? Putty knife?

KB

As I said I just ground up a scrap piece of Plexiglas sort of wedge shaped.
With all the plastic and polymer stuff around now days it shouldn't be too hard to find something. Some of the black CD/DVD shipping cases are pretty stout stuff.
I putty knife would probably work, but might mar the surface.

Below is a pic of my 5-minute engineering marvel. The whole process actually takes longer to describe than to do it.

Whit
Attached Thumbnails LS460 Wind Noise Fix (continued discussion)-triangletool.jpg  
Old 05-28-08, 04:45 PM
kbinfl
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Thanks to all

Well, it's done. I performed Jeff's "TSIB" for the wind noise fix. It took less than an hour and was incredibly easy! I cleaned off all the residue on the driver's side, but left the passenger side alone. Just curious if there will be any difference between the two. Now the 24 hour wait for the sealant to cure. I can't wait to see if this has any effect for me, but I'll wait 'til tomorrow night before taking the test drive.

I used the black silicone that Whit suggested from Wally World. $3.47. If this truly is the solution I cannot believe Lexus isn't jumping on this. There's nothing to it as far as cost and I'm sure a Lexus tech could knock this out in less than 30 minutes.

One thing I did notice is that the top portion of the driver's side trim molding isn't as secure as the passenger side. I may have to redo the driver's side, but I'll see how this worked first.

Until tomorrow...
Old 05-31-08, 05:05 PM
PatsSoxfan
Lead Lap

I'm ready to attempt Jeff's fix. But I find it difficult to be without a car for 24 hours. Will 15-16 hours be enough time for curing? I need to to drive around town tomorow. This means I will only be going 30-40 mph.

I picked up the black permatex silicon sealant along with a plastic putty knife set as instructed from Wal Mart a few hours ago.
Old 05-31-08, 05:26 PM
rjm
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Does anyone but me find it perplexing and somewhat ridiculous that the owner of an $80,000 car has to take sealant and a putty knife to fix air leaks that create enough noise to warrant it? I'm not criticizing anyone....I just find the whole concept ridiculous. Shame on Lexus.
Old 05-31-08, 07:35 PM
JKarger
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PatsSoxfan
I'm ready to attempt Jeff's fix. But I find it difficult to be without a car for 24 hours. Will 15-16 hours be enough time for curing? I need to to drive around town tomorow. This means I will only be going 30-40 mph.

I picked up the black permatex silicon sealant along with a plastic putty knife set as instructed from Wal Mart a few hours ago.
Silicone will be fine with that amount of time. Just make sure the surface is clean and with out moisture.
Old 06-01-08, 08:03 AM
djay
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wanted to try this wind noise fix to my 2008 LS460, but am concerned about breaking the plastic pieces, or otherwise messing them up. I suspect that they would not be too expensive to replace.... Does anyone know where you can order these pieces if need be? Thanks
Old 06-01-08, 08:20 AM
jmcraney

As I have indicated before, the plastic trim pieces are made of very durable plastic - there is little chance that you will damage them if you use reasonable care in removing them. I suggested using a putty knife, but only to get started enough to get your finger under a little and then using your fingers to peel them off. You should not use anything metal other than to lift a corner to get started. Whit has shown a homemade tool that should work very well to get the trim off without breaking any of the registration pins - you need to pry a little around each side with his tool and try to lift straight off. If you don't have any plastic stock to make a "Whit Tool" you could probably make a satisfactory tool from a wooden paint stirrer stick that is available from Home Depot or Lowes or most paint stores.

The other thing that you need to consider is the sealant adhesive and if you use the suggested material - Permatex silicone adhesive sealant available at Walmart - you should not have to worry about that damaging the trim piece. Several responders have used that and report good results. And with that material if you need to remove it and start over you just need to let it cure - about 24 hours - scrape off the excess and try again.

Last edited by jmcraney; 06-01-08 at 01:13 PM.
Old 06-01-08, 12:09 PM
WhitBaby
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by djay
I wanted to try this wind noise fix to my 2008 LS460, but am concerned about breaking the plastic pieces, or otherwise messing them up. I suspect that they would not be too expensive to replace.... Does anyone know where you can order these pieces if need be? Thanks
I'm sure Lexus could get them for you, but, honestly I can't imagine hurting them. They're very stout and bendable showing no inclination at all to shattering or crack.

The worst thing that might happen is that you might break off the tiny pin that is the most forward of the three. It doesn't add any strength, it's just an indexing/locating pin for when it was installed. Remember, they used double sided tape at the factory, it's like contact cement and they had to locate it exactly the first time, not like when you use the silicon and have a little time to position it and get it exactly where you want it.

The two remaining larger protrusions do an adequate job of locating and you can still move it around slightly if necessary before it sets up.

Whit
Old 06-01-08, 01:28 PM
PatsSoxfan
Lead Lap

Hi guys! I did not attempt this last night due to the fear that I will mess things up by not allowing enough time for the sealant to cure. It's possible that I will try it on Tuesday afternoon. I am actually looking forward to it now. I have one more question that may have already been answered. Do I need to scrape off all the sealant that the dealer applied a few weeks ago? Or is it sufficient to just scrape off as much as possible without going to great lengths?

One other thing I have noticed since the dealer did the window seal kit "fix" is that the exterior noise has increased once again. Is it possible that in doing this, they disturbed or somehow adversely affected the sealant they had applied a week earlier in the triangle? I am very curious to find out what it will loook like once I remove the triangle cover.
Old 06-01-08, 01:49 PM
jmcraney

Whether you need to scrape off the sealant depends on what was used and where it was applied. I have some doubts about the dealer applying anything under the trim. If, when you get it off, you find that nothing was applied under the trim then the answer is obviously no.

But, if the dealer used something under the trim that the new sealant will not stick to then you have a cleanup problem. It may be that you have to just give it a try and see if it will stick. The main risk with that is the risk of loosing your trim to the wind. You should be able to feel if it is loose before it is gone.

Come on Whit! Help us out here.
Old 06-01-08, 03:07 PM
PatsSoxfan
Lead Lap

I have no doubt that the dealer applied something that was black in color because I saw a bit of residue on the edge of the chrome and cover. I asked them to clean it up a little and they did. It is hardly noticable now.
Old 06-02-08, 08:36 AM
kbinfl
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Talking Praise To JIM!!!!

Well, as I mentioned a few posts ago, I performed Jim's fix last week. I didn't report back right away because I hadn't done any freeway driving right away.

Now that the weekend is behind us, I've done about 100 miles since the fix. I still have a VERY minor amount of swooshing from the driver's side mirror, and may redo the driver side. I find that the driver side trim piece is not as firmly attached as the passenger side.

Anyway, we've had some rain over the weekend, and what a difference! I can barely hear anything other than the rain hitting the windshield. The car is VERY, VERY quiet inside. Keep in mind that I didn't find the original wind turbulence objectionable, but it is MUCH quieter than before. I did notice some wind turbulence on I-95 when the wind was gusting, but I just think that I'm noticing it because the interior is SO quiet now.

Thanks again Jim for all you've done here for us here at Club Lexus.

KB
Old 06-02-08, 09:07 AM
jmcraney

Thanks kbinfl. We have been anxiously awaiting your report. Sounds like the news is good for you. If you can, please let Lexus and your dealer know.

Regards,

Jeff
Old 06-02-08, 03:24 PM
WhitBaby
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by jmcraney
Whether you need to scrape off the sealant depends on what was used and where it was applied. I have some doubts about the dealer applying anything under the trim. If, when you get it off, you find that nothing was applied under the trim then the answer is obviously no.

But, if the dealer used something under the trim that the new sealant will not stick to then you have a cleanup problem. It may be that you have to just give it a try and see if it will stick. The main risk with that is the risk of loosing your trim to the wind. You should be able to feel if it is loose before it is gone.

Come on Whit! Help us out here.
Without seeing what they did or didn't do, I can't really recommend anything.

If the noise level is really that much louder after 'their fix' I think I'd pursue that with them before you did anything on your own, otherwise they might just say that it was 'your fix' that made it worse.

This way they'll have it in their records that you were still unsatisfied, which puts it back on them and gives you a 'last resort' justification to fix what they couldn't.

Whit

Whit

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: LS460 Wind Noise Fix (continued discussion)