LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

HUGE deal... would you risk it?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-08, 08:18 AM
daandman
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HUGE deal... would you risk it?

I'm looking on a certain website where people put up their cars for sale, and there's a 2007 Lexus LS460 being sold for $14,900. It's black on black, fully loaded, with 8700 miles on it. The seller says that it's never been in an accident & is in perfect condition.

This baffles me as it's an $80,000 car. I emailed the seller confirming the condition of the car, but if he responds that it is indeed in good condition & there's nothing wrong with it, would you risk it?

I mean 15k is nothing for this car, but it seems kind of suspicious.

It's apparently owned by a senior citizen, if that makes a difference. Maybe he just doesn't need the money? Idunno, but this is very odd.
Old 04-14-08, 08:26 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,125 Likes on 1,296 Posts

Not a chance, that screams scam.

Email him and ask if he can ship it to you in Nigeria
Old 04-14-08, 08:29 AM
daandman
Rookie

This is a location-specific board, I would be meeting him in person to complete the deal. I'm thinking I'd take it for a test drive & maybe an inspection first of course.
Old 04-14-08, 08:44 AM
Mike_TX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey, if you have plenty of time and want to play with him, go ahead. But remember the tired old saying: "If it seems too good to be true, it probably is."

The questions that immediately spring to mind are:

- If it's really legit, why hasn't someone else already snatched it up? Heck, you could turn around and sell it to Carmax for a tidy profit if nothing else.

- Does this guy really have legitimate paperwork showing he owns the car free and clear? It would be a ***** to buy it and then find out the bank really owns it and now you owe them $50,000.

- Can you run a carfax report on it to make sure it hasn't been totaled and rebuilt, or water-damaged, or stolen, or whatever?

This smells big time IMO ...

Old 04-14-08, 10:05 AM
Dave Mac
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

I agree "If it sounds too good to be true it probably isn't". There could be one of several different scams going on here but I probably wouldn't even waste my time looking into it. There was a piece on American Greed just last week about a couple of guys selling cars from a deceased "rich stepfather's estate" or something for in most cases around $1,000. No stepfather and of course no cars. They made about 20 million dollars with this scam over a few years before being caught. They sold most cars to church members.

These stories are always interesting though so if you learn any more about the deal let us know.

Dave Mac
Old 04-14-08, 10:14 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

and this sounds WAY too good to be true.... it doesn't make one single sense. he can blindly give it to dealership and get tons more. just think about it, why would he sell it for 15k with no good reason
Old 04-14-08, 11:37 AM
PatsSoxfan
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I will also put my 2 cents woth here. This smells like rotten fish.
Old 04-14-08, 12:32 PM
ny888
Pole Position

We're probably looking at the same website or one of it's kind but I noticed this one person putting up all kinds of expensive vehicles, all late model and all for $9900. I've reported the listing as a scam every time, one GS450h listing actually had the description of a Harley Davidson motorcycle so you know this person is creating tons of these listings using different high end products and vehicles to lure buyers.

It's a scam and I definitely would not agree to meet in person to check out the "goods" - too many people get robbed answering these ads.
Old 04-14-08, 03:37 PM
Nospinzone

Received 407 Likes on 315 Posts

It's apparently owned by a senior citizen

And how many senior citizens do you know who give ***** away? The early bird specials aren't for teenagers!

Daandman, no disrespect, but to quote a line from the movie Goodfellas, "We gotta toughen this kid up".

I hope you don't get a letter from a Nigerian diplomat who has to move $100 million out of his country, but needs you to send him $10,000.
Old 04-14-08, 03:52 PM
Patric
Pole Position

Any chance he is looking for someone to buy out his lease?
Old 04-14-08, 04:00 PM
Johnny
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Do you think if we order two we'll get a better price?
Old 04-14-08, 04:53 PM
cliffud
Former Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There is a current e-mail collection process going on craigslist sites in multiple states and it consists of cars advertised for fractions of what they're worth simply to get your e-mail address for spamming.

To the OP - put up your spam filters buddy, you're gonna get hit hard soon.
Old 04-14-08, 04:57 PM
sonyman
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Did you really have to ask? Honestly, if you couldn't smell how much of a scam this is before you even clicked the post button...
Old 04-14-08, 08:22 PM
dmvp29
Lead Lap

No need to ask. Don't bother buying a carfax subscription to check it out either - you'd be wasting your money. It's simply a scam.

If anybody ever offers you a guaranteed annual return on your investment of 12-15% or higher, it's a scam.

This man is essentially offering you greater than a 300% return on your money, as this car could legitimately be sold for at least 3 times as much. It's fake.

Nobody who is legitimately wealthy is that wasteful with his or her money. Nobody who is legitimately wealthy is generous to such an extent that he or she would give other wealthy individuals a great deal like this. People are far more likely to sell the car at a reasonable price and give the "extra" money away to charity if they really were in a giving mood. Just giving a fellow white collar a "break" with such a huge deal screams "huge scam."
Old 04-14-08, 08:43 PM
KILLERGS4
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

senior meant 1997 LS w 87k; not 2007 LS460 w 8,700miles
FYI: craigslist is FULL OF SCAMS!!!

Quick Reply: HUGE deal... would you risk it?