LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

License Plate on Front

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-08, 12:28 PM
USCRugby
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Default License Plate on Front

Do you think it looks bad or good? I wanted to put a license plate on the front of my LS but the guys at the dealer told me to think about it before doing it.

They say it takes away some of the luster away from the front of the LS.

What are your thoughts? Don't you have to get the dealership to put on the bracket for you?
Old 02-17-08, 01:46 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 189 Likes on 130 Posts

License plate is not too bad for the front of the LS imho, they look much worse for some other cars. It's more clean without the license plate, but I get used to seeing them on most other cars it's no longer a big deal. I might still consider leaving it off at least initially ...
Old 02-17-08, 01:59 PM
astrotoy
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In an earlier thread I asked about installing the front license plate on my 460L. It is illegal to not have one in the front in CA, though many of the CA club members don't follow that. I am too conservative to take the chance. I had to drill two holes in the front bumper and then use the kit that came with the car to install the plate. Pretty easy, but a little scary at first (drilling the holes in the car.). I'm not the handiest person in the world, but I didn't need the dealer. Larry
Old 02-17-08, 02:51 PM
Mike_TX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Texas requires a front plate, too, but it's not a law they strictly enforce. I've had cars for years with no front plate and never got so much as a second look from the gendarmes. I'm told you might get a plate ticket if they stop you for some other infraction, but I don't plan on being stopped.

My dealer doesn't mount the front plate bracket unless you insist. I don't think they like drilling and mucking up the front end, either.

Old 02-17-08, 04:16 PM
USCRugby
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Once you've drilled the holes, what happens if you don't want to put a plate on it? Will it look bad?
Old 02-17-08, 04:37 PM
allklr
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For sure it will, No front plates at all on mine....I did get a ticket earlier this year when it was parked downtown Chicago.
Old 02-17-08, 05:01 PM
Dave Mac
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

I don't like front plates on any cars and in fact when I got my current Lexus I turned down a car from another dealer who had drilled the front bumper for his advertising plate and waited an extra month to get my car - it was worth it. I've been refusing cars with the front brackets installed for years even when the dealers offer to "repair" the holes, one even offered to replace the bumper skin.

Dave Mac
Old 02-17-08, 05:42 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

yup, of all the plates on cars, i think the one on the LS isn't too bad. i have it an i don't mind. but of course without it i think it looks better
Old 02-17-08, 06:23 PM
Johnny
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Illegal in BC Andrew.

Originally Posted by Robarapta
License plate is not too bad for the front of the LS imho, they look much worse for some other cars. It's more clean without the license plate, but I get used to seeing them on most other cars it's no longer a big deal. I might still consider leaving it off at least initially ...
Actually, the Lexus frame is well mated to the bumper and protects it during minor bumps (like parking).
Old 02-17-08, 07:08 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by Burnaby
Actually, the Lexus frame is well mated to the bumper and protects it during minor bumps (like parking).
actually, only the LS the other lexus they have the "universal" adapter and it looks pretty bad
Old 02-17-08, 08:38 PM
Nospinzone

Received 407 Likes on 315 Posts

I'd rather not have it, but it doesn't look too bad. In Mass. it is required and the thing is its not just the police that will ticket you, the metermaids will ticket you for it.
Old 02-18-08, 08:32 PM
jeshie7
Rookie

i guess im lucky, here in delaware im not required to put on a front plate so i could put the lexus plate on. BUT personally i think the car looks alot cleaner without it, and i dont feel to comfortable putting holes in my bumper.

jesh
Old 02-20-08, 12:08 PM
whlkev
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

please don't do it, I think that's THE ugliest thing you can do to a car. think of a hottest celebrity you can think of, and when she smiles, you see her with braces on.

Yes.. it's that bad, if you don't get harrased by cops without it. Don't do it.

I refuse to put any plates on the front, i don't care how many tickets i get ($10 fix it ticket in CA anyway, just tape it on, sign it off, then take it off)

One of the reason i registered my car in AZ so i don't have to put on front plate

*i am for one that will refuse delivery of the vehicle if dealer drill plate on the front, yes i hate front plate with a passion.

Last edited by whlkev; 02-20-08 at 12:13 PM.
Old 02-20-08, 04:31 PM
PatsSoxfan
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In my state, we are required to have both the rear and front plate showing. However, the dealer gave me a choice when I picked up the car. I decided that as long as I can get away with it, I will not put on the front plate. Knock on wood, so far so good.
Old 10-03-08, 04:52 PM
sellshomes
Pit Crew

Sorry to drum up an old post, but I'd like to see a photo of anyone that has a front license plate FRAME on the front of their LS.

I am thinking of getting one for my black LS460L and wanted to see some photo examples of front license plate FRAME colors.
I was thinking of getting shiny Black to match the bumper/car color.

Quick Reply: License Plate on Front