LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Tire Pressure: Is 39 PSI too much?

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-07, 05:21 AM
luxury1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Tire Pressure: Is 39 PSI too much?

I have put 39 PSI into my LS all around. I like the way that it handles and it gets a little better gas mileage but this is higher than the sticker suggests. Are there any serious drawbacks to this especially as it relates to safety, stopping distance, etc? Also, will the center of the tires wear out much quicker at this level?
Old 12-31-07, 07:14 AM
Johnny
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

You will find it easier to do 360s in a parking lot...

If you're just driving at city speeds, it shouldn't be a problem. At highway speeds however, the tires bulge out from the centrifugal force applied, and tire wear will increase, especially on the steering tires. You will "marginally" lose some traction going around corners though. So it really depends how you use the car. You're certainly won't get any blowouts or anything like that.
Old 12-31-07, 07:28 AM
19psi
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

it will be fine. you may not even notice any additional wear, as you're really not that much hihger than recommended.
Old 12-31-07, 07:31 AM
Mike_TX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

If you are talking about 39psi COLD pressure, keep in mind it will rise to maybe 43psi or so in hot weather or after driving at freeway speeds for awhile. That puts it near the maximum pressure for most car tires, and that's not a safe place to run your tires.

OTOH, if you're talking about the tires reaching 39psi after driving for a long time, that's not overly excessive - especially in the summer - although it's a little high.

Excessive tire pressure will cause abnormal wear and will affect traction. I personally think it's a good idea to follow the car manufacturer's recommendations. You aren't going to save any meaningful amount of gas doing this, and you may be endangering yourself.

Old 12-31-07, 07:48 AM
CEOEngr
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mike_TX
Excessive tire pressure will cause abnormal wear and will affect traction. I personally think it's a good idea to follow the car manufacturer's recommendations. You aren't going to save any meaningful amount of gas doing this, and you may be endangering yourself.

I too firmly believe in following the manufacturers recommendations. However, I am puzzled that when either of our lexus goes in for service it always comes back with 41 psi. I have questioned the SA, but his response has always been " Ahh ahh that shouldn't be.... let me have it checked again". I guess they have the rookies working the tire detail.
Old 12-31-07, 07:59 AM
luxury1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for all of the responses!

It is a cold PSI so you are right, it will rise.

Lexus delivered the car to me with higher PSI than suggested (38) so that is why I thought it was probably safe to take this approach but maybe I should take it down just a touch.
Old 12-31-07, 09:49 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

actually, lexus delivers cars with higher psi so the cars are easier to roll, etc... at the port. BUT the dealerships are supposed to check the pressure AND correct them back to the spec.

39 is ok, but for stock 18s they are way high and not necessary. you are mostly degrading the ride
Old 12-31-07, 10:27 AM
Atlas
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, the Lexus Dealer did not reduce tire pressure after it was delivered to me. I was driving and I thought the ride was harsh, I was scrolling through the display and saw the PSI was 39. The next morning I reduced the PSI to 33 PSI, the manufacturers recommendation....BIG difference, ride much smootherat 33.
Old 12-31-07, 11:14 AM
Dave Mac
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

The dealer replaced my wheels with chrome wheels and still delivered the car to me with 40 psi as they do after each service. I notice the ride right away and reduce the pressure down to 33 the next morning.

Dave Mac
Old 12-31-07, 12:31 PM
19psi
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

the reason your cars always come back with higher thatn "recommended" pressure is because the techs know that recommended pressure wears out the edges of the tires more. yes it rides better butyou'll be wearing out tires faster.
the heavy weight of the car puts a lot of pressure on the edges of the tread during cornering. more air pressure helps to keep the tire from deforming and wearing badly.
Old 12-31-07, 12:42 PM
timeToy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My LS460 come from the dealer with 40-41 psi... After reducing to the recommended pressure, I feel it drive much nicer !
Old 12-31-07, 12:44 PM
Nospinzone

Received 406 Likes on 314 Posts

You should be OK with 39 psi in PA (its not like you'll be driving there at sustained speeds of 90 mph in 100+ degree temps!)

It will give you a harder ride, but fuel economy and tire wear will improve slightly. Check the wear regularly. If you are overinflating the tires, they will wear in the center more than the edges.
Old 12-31-07, 01:57 PM
Craig B

Received 53 Likes on 37 Posts

The reason the dealer stores cars with high pressure, it reduces flat spotting the tires. I run 35 PSI in all four tires. You will notice a stiffer ride with more air. My car was delivered with 45 PSI in all tires. I think 33 PSI is too low.

Craig
Old 12-31-07, 03:11 PM
Mike_TX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 19psi
the reason your cars always come back with higher thatn "recommended" pressure is because the techs know that recommended pressure wears out the edges of the tires more. yes it rides better butyou'll be wearing out tires faster.
the heavy weight of the car puts a lot of pressure on the edges of the tread during cornering. more air pressure helps to keep the tire from deforming and wearing badly.
Boy, I really have to disagree with that. The mfr's recommendation is usually the best compromise between good ride, good handling, good wet-weather traction, temperature control, economy, road noise, and tire wear. Under-inflated tires DO "scrub" in turns, and therefore wear faster, but over-inflated tires actually slide sideways a small amount in turns, which also causes wear.

I've always run recommended pressures (and sometimes less), and my tires always wear evenly across the treadwidth. OTOH, I've seen lots of tires run at higher than recommended pressures and they usually show accelerated wear in the middle of the tread.

I guess you can run them wherever you want, but just know what you're getting into when you do. Or go to a reputable tire dealer and ask someone there who knows about such things (not the grunt changing tires).

Old 01-01-08, 06:25 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by 19psi
i disagree. at 40+psi on 18s? you are going to have center wear

Quick Reply: Tire Pressure: Is 39 PSI too much?