LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H
View Poll Results: How do you feel about the Lexus NAVI lockout?
I'm glad it's there, it keeps me from crashing
1.87%
Could care less one way or another
4.10%
Annoying, but tolerable
18.28%
Really Annoying - worst "feature" of the car
60.07%
Untolerable - Major factor keeping me from purchasing a Lexus
15.67%
Voters: 268. You may not vote on this poll

Lexus NAVI Lockout

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-07, 11:45 AM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Wow, interesting experience...I can see why you are very concerned about warranty work/approval.
Old 11-09-07, 12:08 PM
FntcToy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by enigma888
I can see why you are very concerned about warranty work/approval.
Didn't think about it, but I guess it all makes sense in the end!
Old 11-11-07, 05:31 AM
jaxgs350
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mmorozov
About to begin installation of the TV-NAVI kit. Any last words of advice?
Here are pics of the NAVI unit install in my 3GS which I just completed. HTH.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=317601
Old 11-25-07, 12:11 PM
woppenhe
Rookie

Did it do anything other than get rid of the opening screen delay?
Old 11-25-07, 08:23 PM
warhummer
Driver School Candidate

Default Nav Hacking with 7.1

I recently upgraded from 5.1 and created a hybrid DVD using the old firmware off the 5.1 disk. Works like a champ. Oh, and $105 for 5 minutes of labor to change out the DVD is ridiculous. You grab the two little needle-like tools out of the tool kit, stick them into the nav-DVD cover and pop it off. Eject old DVD, insert new, turn on car and drive away. Just don't forget to put the cover back on. (sorry, forgot to mention that for an IS350; not sure how to access the LS DVD).
Old 11-25-07, 09:18 PM
woppenhe
Rookie

Was this a 460 or 430. Iw as under the impression that a hard drive, not a dvd, upgrade is necessary for the 460s
Old 11-26-07, 09:36 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

He mentioned that this was with an IS 350, so that procedure would work for all DVD NAVI-equipped Lexus models, which however does not include the LS 460. The LS 430 does use a DVD NAVI system but it came with generation 4 software.
Old 11-26-07, 09:45 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

correct, the ls460 is completely different with hdd
Old 11-27-07, 08:21 AM
Mike_TX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I would think that anyone wanting to find a software crack for the lockout issue on the LS460 would have to first get access to an update disk, so he could copy the .bat and .ini files. Unless, of course, there's some way to download them directly from the HDD.

I figure that somewhere in there is a command that says "If VSS speed > 0, then entry functions not enabled". Of course, it'll say it in C++ or Fortran or whatever, but someone who knows his stuff could write a simple routine to disable that command.

Old 11-28-07, 08:01 PM
FntcToy
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Mike_TX
I would think that anyone wanting to find a software crack for the lockout issue on the LS460 would have to first get access to an update disk, so he could copy the .bat and .ini files. Unless, of course, there's some way to download them directly from the HDD.

I figure that somewhere in there is a command that says "If VSS speed > 0, then entry functions not enabled". Of course, it'll say it in C++ or Fortran or whatever, but someone who knows his stuff could write a simple routine to disable that command.
There 'ya go! I wish you luck.

But, it won't do me much good...Pulled the trigger on a 2008 GS460 this week. Just need to wait for it to come off the ship, which apparently is already in LA or Long Beach somewhere. I'd love to go sit there and watch them drive it off the damn ship. Anyone else think that would be neat?

Anyway, I guess I'll be changing threads, but I'll keep an eye on y'all over here!
Old 11-29-07, 02:34 AM
mmorozov
Driver

GS 460? That's new
Old 11-29-07, 01:58 PM
FntcToy
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mmorozov
GS 460? That's new

New for 2008, I assume?
Old 12-04-07, 03:57 PM
Johnny
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Yes, the LS drive train including that silky 8-spd is now available on the GS. Less horses though, 342...
Old 12-16-07, 09:50 PM
gengar
Moderator: LFA, Clubhouse

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by dlovato
In my case, I just want the front seat passenger to be able to use it, while I'm paying attention to the road driving - they assume I don't have a front seat passenger - and can't handle the responsibility of paying attention to the road myself.
This is the only time the nav lockout is annoying to me. I actually rarely use the nav as it is, and so I never feel the need to use it while driving. I doubt I'll look for nav specifically on any future model of any car I buy, seeing as aftermarket options are also cheaper and I dislike having integrated controls (climate, audio, etc.) on the screen. Now, obviously it is impossible to know who is actually operating the nav system (in terms of driver vs. passenger) but it is certainly annoying that the passenger cannot operate the system.

The rest of your argument was well-explained, Darryl. Even if certain laws and regulations are introduced and legislated to protect us from idiots, it's always very annoying to those of us who are not.
Old 12-27-07, 10:30 PM
vraa
CL Folding Team Starter

Received 342 Likes on 202 Posts

Nav lock out is stupid.
The entire concept of navigation systems is dated and I can easily think plausible replacements which would seriously evolve the way we interact (purposely OR naturally) with the car.

The first step would be to completely open up the specs of the electronics to home-hackers. In the last few decades car nuts have gone from being engine heads to electronic heads.

Right off the bat that would give you customizable POS locations. I could imagine every company would want to easily offer a downloadable list of all their locations so you could show their locations on your navigation screen.

Make new navigation data wirelessly and user updatable. Just make the dealer the source of the authenticated + secured location (or if you have a server in the house if you download the appropriately sealed key).

Oh man imagine how awesome it would be if on the hybrid Lexuses, if it knew your route and knew where the stoplights were, it would optimize the efficiency of when to use the gas engine versus when to simply use the electrical engine.

Quick Reply: Lexus NAVI Lockout