LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H
View Poll Results: How do you feel about the Lexus NAVI lockout?
I'm glad it's there, it keeps me from crashing
1.87%
Could care less one way or another
4.10%
Annoying, but tolerable
18.28%
Really Annoying - worst "feature" of the car
60.07%
Untolerable - Major factor keeping me from purchasing a Lexus
15.67%
Voters: 268. You may not vote on this poll

Lexus NAVI Lockout

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-07, 01:24 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Yeah it is a very complex issue, although the options are seemingly simple...either continue the lockout, remove it, add a sensor, etc.

I had a thought the other day...considering how Lexus now has the Driver Monitoring System which detects obstacles ahead and warns if you are not paying attention, how about tying that with the NAVI system? It freezes up (locks out) when danger is detected.

Hehe and the future Lexus in the Minority Report website lets you use its NAVI/UI freely while the car drives for you.

So far I think many customers, particularly here, are buying Lexus vehicles in spite of the NAVI lockout, which is to say they like the overall package Lexus offers. And the NAVI has many good points to it.
Old 11-05-07, 01:52 PM
dlovato
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Agreed. Although the Nav system lockout is really the only thing I *hate* about the car, there are a lot of good things with it. The implementation of the nav system is really good - perhaps that's why it's so annoying they limit the way you can use it.

If the nav system completely sucked, nobody would care that you can't use it. The fact that it's good makes it "worse" that you can't use it when you want to. :-)

I bought the car regardless of the lockout (I knew it was there - it wasn't a surprise after the fact for me).

The survey that's being done here has a lot of limitations...

* It's mostly a survey of people who have a lexus - I doubt many non-lexus users get on these forums - so it's possible the users who would check the last item (didn't buy a lexus because of it) are under-represented.
* Small sample size
* Because it's online, the sample of respondents are probably more "geeky" than the entire lexus car user base - so they are likely to be more annoyed by a technology issue like this
* Respondents possibly influenced by messages about the nav system in other threads
* Etc.

Regardless - so far only one person out of 43 say they are glad the lock-out feature is there. The lockout annoys 83% of the people who responded so far. That's a BIG percentage. Even with a 20% margin of error, that's at least over half the people that find it "annoying or worse". It's a real issue no matter how I look at the results.

The liability issue/argument holds a lot less weight because Honda doensn't do it, and haven't been put out of business because of lawsuits regarding not locking users out while moving...

- Darryl
Old 11-05-07, 02:17 PM
Nospinzone

Received 407 Likes on 315 Posts

The survey that's being done here has a lot of limitations...

Yes, you're right. I didn't answer the poll because it lacked my answer -

I'm glad it's there, it keeps idiots from crashing into me!

Old 11-05-07, 03:07 PM
mmorozov
Driver

>I'm glad it's there, it keeps idiots from crashing into me!

I bet you are really suffering from all those Acura/Honda idiots who don't have a motion lock. Looks like they crash into you all the time. Now it's just a matter of buying LS460 for all of them and you'll be safe!
Old 11-05-07, 06:31 PM
Nospinzone

Received 407 Likes on 315 Posts

Now it's just a matter of buying LS460 for all of them and you'll be safe!

That would be a good start, but we'd also have to deal with cell phone use, text messaging, reading the newspaper, and applying make up (even for men, not that there's anything wrong with that!)

Years ago I was concerned with the drunk driver, but we've done such a good job getting the message through to them, or jailing them, that they aren't nearly the threat they used to be.

My feeling is if you're not driving while you're driving, well then you shouldn't be driving.
Old 11-05-07, 07:16 PM
acecert
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Craig B
No, the dealer did not charge. I received one of the first cars, so I didn't get much off on my car. I don't know if Lexus paid, or they did it and ate the charge. I didn't ask...

Craig
Got a quote from Longo Lexus today for the 7.1 upgrade:

$104.00 (Labor)

$355.00 (7.1 disc)
Old 11-06-07, 06:51 AM
zzzzdoc
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by dlovato
I will give Lexus one thing - my wife's RX400h has the "I agree" screen every time you start the car, my LS600hL has that removed - it's an improvement - but there is no reason why a passenger shouldn't be allowed to use the nav while the car is moving. - Darryl
Darryl:

What version of the NAV software do you have on your LS600hL? Mine was supposedly upgraded when I bought it at my request, but I still get the nag screen.
Old 11-06-07, 08:52 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by zzzzdoc
Darryl:

What version of the NAV software do you have on your LS600hL? Mine was supposedly upgraded when I bought it at my request, but I still get the nag screen.
hehe, 7.1 doc, 7.1. i guess the dealership didn't really give you the "right" treatment did they? were you able to resolve all issues with them?
Old 11-06-07, 09:46 AM
dlovato
Driver School Candidate

I have 7.1

I do get a small screen for bluetooth when it connects on "startup", but it goes away by itself - but I definately dont get the disclaimer page with "OK" button that has to be hit every time you start the car like my wifes RX400h.

- Darryl
Old 11-06-07, 11:57 AM
Craig B

Received 53 Likes on 37 Posts

Yeah, 7.1 is what you want. You must have 7.0...

Craig
Old 11-06-07, 02:18 PM
misterk
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

is that all that the 7.1 change gives you? just the removal of the "i agree" screen? 450.00 seems steep if its just for one more button to push...
Old 11-06-07, 02:38 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

i think almost some updates on POI
Old 11-06-07, 06:11 PM
Duonguyen
Driver School Candidate

* It's mostly a survey of people who have a lexus - I doubt many non-lexus users get on these forums - so it's possible the users who would check the last item (didn't buy a lexus because of it) are under-represented"
I checked the last item,for my next new car may not be a Lexus if the NAVI lock out still there.If I pay good money for it,I should be able to use it as I please.
Old 11-06-07, 07:22 PM
Johnny
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Valid point. When I bought my Acuras, Lexus, and just about any "significant" equipment I've purchased, I sought out Forums that engaged in the topic, usually ones that have a reasonable cross-section of Users. I never considered, nor read any prior to their respective acquisitions. Do I go back and read Acurazine? Only sporadically for car care topics. One benefit here however is the other interest areas.
Old 11-07-07, 02:54 PM
FntcToy
Driver School Candidate

Question

I have a question, gang... I have been lurking here with the thought of upgrading my 2003 GS300 to a new LS. What I've read on this one issue alone is enough to really discourage me.

In addition, I currently drive a 2006 Range Rover Sport with Navigation. The RRS nav system has a programmable hack. In other words, press and hold the screen in a non-descript location, enter a secret code, etc...

The hack was designed to unlock the whole system for use by service techs when the truck is in for service. It's now out in the mainstream for those who want it and are willing to do a little searching for it.

Now, wouldn't it make sense that Lexus has designed the same into their system? What would it take for someone to lean on their local friendly service writer a little, and see if this is an option?

Sorry if this has been discussed previously. I tried a search, although not at length.

Quick Reply: Lexus NAVI Lockout