LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Wind noise - What wind noise?

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-07, 02:35 PM
zzzzdoc
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wind noise - What wind noise?

Hopefully this is a good sign for future LS460 and LS600hL, but today for the first time I had the opportunity to drive my LS600hL at speed. It had no noticeable wind noise at all. Easily the quietest car I've been in.

Do any LS600hL owner's have issues with wind noise? Chime in guys, out of curiosity. If not, why isn't Lexus now applying whatever is used in the LS600hL's construction that prevents the wind noise problem?

Basically, am I lucky, or is there a known solution to the problem?
Old 10-10-07, 03:18 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The short-version LS has the wind noise problem.

Since the LS600h is L, it shouldn't have the wind noise problem...
Old 10-10-07, 03:27 PM
zzzzdoc
Lead Lap

I had thought that it affected all LS460 types, but the laminated glass on the 460L decreased it.
Old 10-10-07, 03:28 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 189 Likes on 130 Posts

The only difference between the SWB & LWB is the laminated glass, which does help, but a couple of LWB owners have complained about some wind noise too. How significant they are, it's hard to say, unless you have actually sat in their cars & listened to it, you can't really say with absolute certainty whether it's reasonable or not at certain high speed levels. And I suppose there will always be a few that are less perfectly built than the rest.

Anyway, I hope they have already done something at the factory for the later built models to at least minimize the problem for the SWB models, which still does not come with laminated glass for 2008.
Old 10-10-07, 04:30 PM
zzzzdoc
Lead Lap

I'll have to drive my next door neighbor's LS460 to see what it sounds like. He's non-stop complaining about the wind noise (but otherwise loves his car.)
Old 10-10-07, 04:45 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

so far i think i have read two lwb owners complaining about windnoise here. other than that, all ls460l owners and all the lwb i test drove are dead quiet
Old 10-10-07, 04:52 PM
Atlas
Rookie

Understood, but I am under the impression the ratio is 75% SWB and 25% LWB. Certainly there would be less complaints on LWB, less cars.
Old 10-10-07, 05:21 PM
Stoks
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I Bought my SWB LS in June. I do not have a wind noise problem. Guess I'm lucky!
Old 10-10-07, 06:36 PM
garyr
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Guess most of you do not read the board much. It effects both models the same only more SWB are sold, the glass has nothing to do with it at all. I have a LWB and after the TSIB it's still there. Lexus dealer and corp told me they can't fix the car. I got 3 free oil changes, wow I'm rolling in it.....

I'm hoping lexo comes out with a new molding like they are supposed to and fix the problem.
Old 10-10-07, 07:17 PM
acecert
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by garyr
Guess most of you do not read the board much. It effects both models the same only more SWB are sold, the glass has nothing to do with it at all. I have a LWB and after the TSIB it's still there. Lexus dealer and corp told me they can't fix the car. I got 3 free oil changes, wow I'm rolling in it.....

I'm hoping lexo comes out with a new molding like they are supposed to and fix the problem.
I had the TSIB done as well...hadn't heard about them coming out with a new molding??
Old 10-10-07, 08:09 PM
Duonguyen
Driver School Candidate

Smile

Originally Posted by Stoks
I Bought my SWB LS in June. I do not have a wind noise problem. Guess I'm lucky!
Hi all,like Mr. Stoks,I also picked up my 460L in June,Smoky granite on Black by the way,first Lexus ever,after reading about wind noise,I still can not tell which is which,is it air turbulence,which I think should not be heard in my car,or road noise,some patch of road have more noise than the other,or some noise that must always there when something moving at high speed?
I feel the car is the same like my wife,one day she is obedient,lovely,another day she is a SOB.The only noise that I feel bad is the engine noise,at idle,it is not loud but noticeable.I am in the car business so I heard more quiet engine on cars that cost half of this flagship of Lexus.So please enlighten me if the noise,if any are normal,or what should I do to determine that a problem exist,like the car alot,for its acceleration,pick up at high speed,but if worse come to worse,maybe I should live with it till the next generation of the LS!Anyhow,she is my car,and she is my wife,what can I do?Thank you for your time to read my ramblings.
Old 10-10-07, 11:19 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Welcome to the Club, Duonguyen! Hope you continue enjoying the car. I'm not sure much can be done to make the engine quieter with this design, like you said maybe a future design.
Old 10-10-07, 11:28 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by garyr

give me numbers and that it's proportion to the lwb/swb and i will believe you. otherwise, it's you say and i say. not to mention there are a lot of swb owners here with no wind noise problem as well. so far if i remember right with 2 lwb owners (you included) with wind noise problem, i see more than 6 swb people with that problem. and unless lexus find the real cause and fix to the problem, you can't really say it's the same for lwb and swb or otherwise
Old 10-11-07, 04:26 AM
zzzzdoc
Lead Lap

Wow. Stirred up stuff here.

And personally, I didn't pay much attention to the wind noise before I bought my 600 because I didn't want that thought to enter the universe, and I hoped that my 2008 model would have the issue fixed.

At what speed is the noise generally heard?
Old 10-11-07, 06:04 AM
hankbrande
Driver School Candidate

zzzzdoc,

I have had my 600 since 8/25 with about 2000 miles on it now. I notice a bit of turbulence at speed but nothing I consider excessive. I do find the bridgestone tires make too much noise, and I'm hoping to replace them with Michelin tires and 18" wheels to improve ride quality a bit.

Quick Reply: Wind noise - What wind noise?