Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the LS600h L model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the LS600h. Please use the main 4LS forum for discussion about shared components with other fourth generation LS models.

Considering LS Hybrid

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-07, 12:06 PM
Ultrasonic
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Considering LS Hybrid

I am a former Lexus owner, and I really enjoyed by old LS and RX. However, now I have an 2007 Audi S8. As I am a new car addict, I am considering the 600h.

I drove one last weekend, and while the car is impressive I wasn't thrilled. The electronics and audio are top-notch, but my Audi is more engaging to drive. Both have beautiful interiors, the Lexus is more button-laden (and features).

I haven't had bad luck with the Audi, just a couple minor annoyances. I am also considering an S-class. I would probably trade the Camry too. Trade-in value on the Audi probably isn't the greatest....

Anyone trade to a softer ride? Any thoughts? I think that I am becoming jaded.
Old 09-24-07, 12:58 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

i don't have audi (and i have been lexus owner for a long time) so i can't tell you exactly. but imho if you want to have the driving spirit, want the feedback from the road, wants more of the handling and the driving fun, the ls might not be the best choice for you out there. any of the euro would give you better feeling, especially you are on s8 now
Old 09-24-07, 05:55 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

If Lexus makes an LS-F, that would be a direct comparison to the S8...you have the Camry hybrid so you know what the technology is like, the LS 600h L is more of a traditional luxury flagship, technology, gadgets, smooth ride, etc. Depends on what you like better. Good luck with your decision!
Old 09-24-07, 07:21 PM
Iceman
Lexus Champion

The S8 and the LS600hL were what I had narrowed my choices down to a little while back. When deciding to go for the Lexus, I realized I'd be giving up a modicum of driving spirit but gaining a lot more in the bargain. How often are you going to push a luxury sedan close to the limit anyway? But the build quality and customer service of Lexus are what pulled me back from the Audi side. Funny, then, that it was lack of Lexus customer service that made me cancel my order!

You can't go wrong either way. You're a new car nut, so get an LS. If you don't like it, get something else!
Old 09-24-07, 08:33 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,095 Likes on 1,358 Posts

Originally Posted by Iceman
The S8 and the LS600hL were what I had narrowed my choices down to a little while back. When deciding to go for the Lexus, I realized I'd be giving up a modicum of driving spirit but gaining a lot more in the bargain. How often are you going to push a luxury sedan close to the limit anyway?
Giving up a 'modicum of driving spirit'? lol - I don't think an LS600hL will come anywhere close to the handling of an S8.

And it's not about pushing it close to the limit. Even driving slowly a capable handling car can be really appreciated. Feeling a car go around corners flatter at even slow speeds is something I appreciate. Feeling a car not become overly unsettled (floating and wallowing up and down) when going over dips and bumps is something I appreciate.

I believe the LS600hL comes with the air suspension and active rear stabilizers which will help a lot but the car is REALLY heavy (5200+lbs I think).

The LS600hL right now is the ultimate in quiet large sedans. That's a great thing.

The S8, with AWD, loads of power, and a sporty active suspension setup is one of the best large sporty luxurious sedans, along with perhaps the S63. The S550 is surprisingly agile also.

All fabulous vehicles to be sure, but different.
Old 09-24-07, 08:39 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

You bring up good points, Iceman, with regards to the differences between the cars...you get a better-built and more featured car with the LS 600h L. However, the ordering business ('customer service') is more tricky with getting customization on the Lexus side...especially if you special order. Still if you try to get the B&O sound on the Audi, it's a special order too...

And of course they are different vehicles, like I said, the S8 is akin to what an LS-F would go against. The LS 600h L with the AVS according to reviews is much better controlled, etc., however, depending on the mode and style of driving. And aside from the special ordering, the dealership service should be very good.
Old 09-24-07, 09:45 PM
Nospinzone

Received 406 Likes on 314 Posts

....while the car is impressive I wasn't thrilled.

I think that's your answer right there. I wouldn't buy any car that I wasn't thrilled with.

And when you cease being thrilled, well, as BB King would sing,

The thrill is gone
The thrill is gone away
The thrill is gone baby
The thrill is gone away

You know I'm free, free now baby
I'm free from your spell
Oh I'm free, free, free now
I'm free from your spell
And now that its all over
All I can do is wish you well
Old 09-24-07, 11:18 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Giving up a 'modicum of driving spirit'? lol - I don't think an LS600hL will come anywhere close to the handling of an S8.

And it's not about pushing it close to the limit. Even driving slowly a capable handling car can be really appreciated. Feeling a car go around corners flatter at even slow speeds is something I appreciate. Feeling a car not become overly unsettled (floating and wallowing up and down) when going over dips and bumps is something I appreciate.

I believe the LS600hL comes with the air suspension and active rear stabilizers which will help a lot but the car is REALLY heavy (5200+lbs I think).

The LS600hL right now is the ultimate in quiet large sedans. That's a great thing.

The S8, with AWD, loads of power, and a sporty active suspension setup is one of the best large sporty luxurious sedans, along with perhaps the S63. The S550 is surprisingly agile also.

All fabulous vehicles to be sure, but different.
true, the 600hl is very likely no match on handling with the s8, though i would definitely not underestimate its handling, not like the ls460l. having tested it on the track, it rolls more than the gs450h, but it kicks butt on the 460l and some other cars i have driven
Old 09-25-07, 12:13 PM
DrComputer
Pole Position

Since I have now owned my LS600hL for almost two months, I think I am qualified to give some honest feedback. Is the car perfect? No. Is it everything I thought it would be? Almost.

Having previously owned a GS430, LS430, and ES300 I am no stranger to Lexus. My GS and LS were first model year cars like the LS600hL so I am accustom to the usual first model year bugs. So far I have had a few annoying creaks and rattles. The plastic that covers the rain sensor and PCS cameras rattles against the windshield. I’ve had the dealer look at it but they can’t figure out how to stop it. I put some computer foam around it and it seems a bit better…although it still rattles. The dash creaks when it is very hot or very cold inside the car. Seem like there are many different types of materials up next to each other and they expand at different rates.

Other than those minor issues, I haven’t experienced any other problems so far. There is much talk about “wind noise” from the side windows. I do notice there is more noise than in my previous GS430, but since I haven’t driven a regular LS460 I can’t say if it’s worse or better. I would say it is louder than I would expect from a car of this caliber.

As for the engine and performance I must say I like it. It does take some getting use to, but once you understand how the hybrid reacts it’s actually fun to drive. Under normal driving, the car is very quiet as the gas engine usually stays below 3K rpm’s. Floor it and you can hear the engine. It almost sounds like a toy car as you don’t get that satisfying V8 growl. It sounds more like a 4-banger Camry. As for gas mileage, I’ve averaged about 19 MPG. That’s mostly Los Angeles traffic driving. My GS430 only use to average about 15 MPG so it’s not bad. My best tank so far was on a trip to San Jose where I hit 22 MPG.

So, if I could do it over would I but it again? The answer is yes. Although I do miss some simple features of my old LS like the oscillating vents and passenger memory seats and I wish it would not creak and rattle as much (I will address then again at its first 5K service), I think the LS600hL is the best combination of luxury and performance that can be had (at least this year).
Old 09-25-07, 01:08 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

dr, the ls430 has front passenger seat memory?? that's new
Old 09-25-07, 03:41 PM
zzzzdoc
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by rominl
dr, the ls430 has front passenger seat memory?? that's new
Mine certainly doesn't. Never understood that either.

Glad that you're pleased with your LS600hL. Hopefully, some day, I'll be able to write my own review of the car.

Anyone see a pig flying by?
Old 09-25-07, 03:49 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by zzzzdoc
Mine certainly doesn't. Never understood that either.

Glad that you're pleased with your LS600hL. Hopefully, some day, I'll be able to write my own review of the car.

Anyone see a pig flying by?
i saw one the other day, in the verizon commercial

yeah, it's my belief that no ls430 had front passenger memory, not in the US
Old 09-25-07, 05:41 PM
spnj
Driver School Candidate

I had an A8L and recently got a 460L. I miss the Audi. The Lexus is too soft by comparison. The first thing you notice is the audi electronics do not lock up when the car moves. You can enter the Nav. The track lists are accessable. This was a big dissapointment in the Lexus. Everything grays out when the car moves. I drove a 600h. It is much stiffer but still suffers from wind noise. Not as much as my 460L. I am Still working on the wind noise with my dealer. I am considering arbitration. The fix will be the 2009 model year when the A pillar is redesigned. Definitely wait for that. I drove the 550s recently. Much more of a drivers car.
Old 09-25-07, 06:25 PM
DrComputer
Pole Position

Sorry, I should have clarified. My GS430 had passenger memory seats and the LS430 had oscillating air vents.
Old 09-25-07, 06:38 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by DrComputer
Sorry, I should have clarified. My GS430 had passenger memory seats and the LS430 had oscillating air vents.
ah gotcha. yeah, what a mystery to all of us huh

Quick Reply: Considering LS Hybrid