Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the LS600h L model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the LS600h. Please use the main 4LS forum for discussion about shared components with other fourth generation LS models.

Thoughts on extended warranty on LS600hL

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-07, 02:16 AM
hankbrande
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I purchased the extended warranty for my LS600hL. I had one on my previous car (2000 BMW 740iL) that saved me a bundle between 90k and 130k miles!
Old 09-18-07, 07:15 AM
rajwany
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by zzzzdoc
Just wondering what people here think of an extended warranty on a LS600hL.

The standard warranty is 4 years / 50K miles.
The powertrain warranty is 7 years and 70K miles
The hybrid system warranty is 8 years and 100K miles

Cost is about $3,300.00 I've been told.

I typically keep a car 6-8 years, and drive 10K miles/year.

Do you think it would be worth getting the extended warranty? I've benefitted from them several times in the past, though on my present LS430 the car has been so reliable, I haven't used it at all (knock on wood )
getting a warranty wise decision, buying it now is not. u have until 4yrs and 50000 miles to purchase the ext lexus warranty. keep ur money now, buy it later, u will definately save over a 1000 atleast. thats what i did with my ES330, saved over 500.
Old 09-18-07, 08:08 AM
zzzzdoc
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by rajwany
getting a warranty wise decision, buying it now is not. u have until 4yrs and 50000 miles to purchase the ext lexus warranty. keep ur money now, buy it later, u will definately save over a 1000 atleast. thats what i did with my ES330, saved over 500.
Can you buy the same Lexus Platinum extended warranty at that point, or is it just 3rd party warranties then?
Old 09-18-07, 02:35 PM
rajwany
Driver

Can you buy the same Lexus Platinum extended warranty at that point, or is it just 3rd party warranties then?
yes original lexus platinum warranty from the dealership, 0 deductible. any finance manager will be happy to do that for u.
Old 09-18-07, 03:33 PM
zzzzdoc
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by rajwany
yes original lexus platinum warranty from the dealership, 0 deductible. any finance manager will be happy to do that for u.
Thanks. Very, very good advice indeed.
Old 09-18-07, 05:15 PM
maykups
Driver School Candidate

What has always been a great buy has been the tires for life program I purchased on my SC430.
Old 09-18-07, 08:45 PM
Nospinzone

Received 409 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by maykups
What has always been a great buy has been the tires for life program I purchased on my SC430.

I never heard of that, please tell us more!

Oh, and I just noticed that is your first post. WELCOME!
Old 09-18-07, 10:04 PM
350Dave
Lead Lap

A Chevy Monza, if memory serves.

A very interesting point. And for $2K, it might be worth it. But $3350????
Correct -Chevy Monza

Also, Chevy Cavalier (about 1980), needed to remove radiator to replace serpentine belt, which was poorly designed and needed frequent replacement.

And, lets not forget the V6 Chevy Monza, which required loosening the motor mounts, and jacking up the engine, to replace the spark plugs. This. back in the day of the 30K tune up.
Old 09-19-07, 05:40 AM
Helmar
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Nospinzone
... The thing is this car has so many electronic devices and is so sophisticated, that when anything goes after the 4 yr/50 mi. warranty, its going to cost a fortune to repair/replace....
Interesting how electronics in cars seems to differ from electronics in computers.

It's been my experience that when you buy a computer, if it works for a few weeks, it'll generally last for many years. The same has been true with other electronic equipment, such as TV's.

Why don't electronics in cars follow the same pattern? Chips are chips, similar chips are used in computers and cars. Cables are cables, except, perhaps, that chips and cables in cars are exposed to more extreme conditions.

Is it perhaps that the software in cars (especially certain brands) isn't as well designed (or tested) as in others? I never had any problems, electronic or otherwise with my previous two LS's, although I only kept them 'til around 80K miles.

HBH
Old 09-19-07, 06:49 AM
zzzzdoc
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Helmar
Interesting how electronics in cars seems to differ from electronics in computers.

It's been my experience that when you buy a computer, if it works for a few weeks, it'll generally last for many years. The same has been true with other electronic equipment, such as TV's.

Why don't electronics in cars follow the same pattern? Chips are chips, similar chips are used in computers and cars. Cables are cables, except, perhaps, that chips and cables in cars are exposed to more extreme conditions.

Is it perhaps that the software in cars (especially certain brands) isn't as well designed (or tested) as in others? I never had any problems, electronic or otherwise with my previous two LS's, although I only kept them 'til around 80K miles.

HBH

Well, vibrations and electronic components don't mix well, but I've often wondered the same thing. When electronics aren't DOA, they usually last for years. But the torturous heat/cold cycles, vibrations, and other abuse must take their toll. Or they're just built crappy. Who knows.
Old 09-19-07, 07:11 AM
Helmar
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

... But the torturous heat/cold cycles, vibrations, and other abuse must take their toll ...
But in general, the electronics in Japanese cars seem more reliable than the electronics in German cars (at least that's what I gather from reading).

Since the chip hardware is probably the same, it might be the quality of the cable connections, or possibly the software, or some combination ...

HBH
Old 09-19-07, 07:43 AM
Craig B

Received 53 Likes on 37 Posts

They have tires for life at the local Mercedes dealer. To qualify, you have to get all your service done at their dealership.

Craig
Old 09-19-07, 08:35 AM
zzzzdoc
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Helmar
But in general, the electronics in Japanese cars seem more reliable than the electronics in German cars (at least that's what I gather from reading).

Since the chip hardware is probably the same, it might be the quality of the cable connections, or possibly the software, or some combination ...

HBH
Although, FWIW, the only major electronics problems I've had in a car was in my '94 LS400 when I had to replace the entire instrument panel due to poor contacts. Would work when the car warmed up, but not cold. Known defect I learned later, but a $3K repair at the time that I had to fight for 1.5 hrs with the extended warranty company until they paid for it. I've not had electronics problems in Porsches or BMW's. Never owned a MB.

Only other electronics issue I've had with several Lexus is with the side mirror switches / controllers. All eventually needed to be replaced. Clearly another design issue. Minor, but it's there.

One anecdotal experience, anyway.
Old 09-19-07, 10:11 AM
DrComputer
Pole Position

I too am facing the same question. After spending $132K on a new LS600hL should I get the extended warranty? Although I say I want to keep the car for a while (5-6 years) will I really? Since the basic warranty cover everything for 4 years and the hybrid stuff for 8 years, if I keep the car for 6 years is it worth the cost for 1 to 2 years of coverage?

Well, I did find a dealer that is willing to sell the 7 year /100K $0 deductible Platinum warranty for $2425. (It's Troy Dietrich of Toyota of Greenfield 413-772-0989). Since one can purchase the extended warranty anytime before the 4 year factory warranty expires, I figured I'd wait a year to see how many problems I have with the car. If I feel the reliability isn't where it should be, then I will happily spend the money.
Old 09-19-07, 10:16 AM
Rocman
Pole Position

Why get it?
The LS has been proven to be the perfect car with no problems at all.

I personally would not, but I only keep my cars a couple years anyway. The longest I ever kept a car was 3.5 years. Drive it till all the warranties are expired, and then get rid of it. The money saved can buy a few Kobe steak dinners.

Quick Reply: Thoughts on extended warranty on LS600hL