LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

I Tried the Manual Gear Box but why does it start with S4 ???

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-07, 05:03 AM
uae
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I Tried the Manual Gear Box but why does it start with S4 ???

Whenever the gear is shifted from "D" Drive to "S" ( which i dont know what it stands for sports maybe ?) the gear reads S4 and does not read S1.So again i have to manually shift it backwards to S1.

The best thing that this car has is that it doesnt looses the power, how ??
OK. Car is at rest gear is set to "S1" ECT(Electronic Control Transmission) power is selected . Now accelerating the car would go for the MAX rpm that gear 1 could take;after that the gear is shifted automatically to "S2" gear 2 ; same things applies to "S3" etc.

I really got to tell you. using the ECT power button with the gear makes the car very fast and noticeable with extra exhaust sound.
There are three fast modes for the car ill start from fast to slow:
1- ECT with manual gear
2- ECT
3- Normal mode (ECT not in use)

and i really go to tell you after trying it a couple of times there is a big difference between( Even the Exhaust sounds Differs):
(1) & (2)
(2) & (3)
(1) & (3)

God i love the car . But i dont know why it usually starts with "S4".Is it like that for all cars or it can be programmed.

Now that i did not have in my previous S320. Everything was done manually in the S320. including the gear shifts from "S1" to "S2" which was "D1" "D2" "D3"etc. So if had MAX RPM on gear1 and did not manually shift to gear2 it will stay as much as i want in gear1 producing that sound which im defintely sure if it remains for more than 10 seconds it will blow up the gear.
Old 09-14-07, 06:37 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

the same thing happens in the IS, if you are in auto mode and hit it over to sport, most of the time you are doing this to do a quick pass on the highway. I most certainly dont want it to pick 1st gear.
Old 09-14-07, 06:48 AM
uae
Lexus Test Driver

What gear is best for racing mode "S2" ? i think "S1" is , but it puts a lot of pressure to the engine.
Old 09-14-07, 08:31 AM
Nospinzone

Received 407 Likes on 315 Posts

I don't know if you have the same English manual, but see pages 119-121, it explains it all there.
Old 09-14-07, 08:35 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

from what it sounds like the SX, whatever number for X means the top gear it will limited to, the IS does this, when you are in M mode and 4 is on the display the car will select gears b/t 1 and 4 only. So you put a limit on the highest gear it goes to
Old 09-14-07, 10:27 AM
uae
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
from what it sounds like the SX, whatever number for X means the top gear it will limited to, the IS does this, when you are in M mode and 4 is on the display the car will select gears b/t 1 and 4 only. So you put a limit on the highest gear it goes to
i still dont understand u mean its normal that it says "S4" by default ?

Is there any way to let it display "S1" when gear is shiftef from "D" to "S" ?
Old 09-14-07, 11:04 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by uae
i still dont understand u mean its normal that it says "S4" by default ?

Is there any way to let it display "S1" when gear is shiftef from "D" to "S" ?
no, there is no way, the computer is programmed that way, it will be in s4, s5, or s6 according to the speed you are at. if you are at stop, it will be s4

and when it says s4, it doesn't mean it starts in 4th gear.... like 4teh said, it means the highest number of gear the car can get. if you are at stop and it says s4, you gun the car, it will start from 1st, red line, then 2nd, red line, then 3rd, red line, and then 4th. when it hits redline in 4th, it won't go to 5th, you will just bounce the car at the limter
Old 09-14-07, 11:14 AM
uae
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by rominl
no, there is no way, the computer is programmed that way, it will be in s4, s5, or s6 according to the speed you are at. if you are at stop, it will be s4

and when it says s4, it doesn't mean it starts in 4th gear.... like 4teh said, it means the highest number of gear the car can get. if you are at stop and it says s4, you gun the car, it will start from 1st, red line, then 2nd, red line, then 3rd, red line, and then 4th. when it hits redline in 4th, it won't go to 5th, you will just bounce the car at the limter
Ahaaaaaaaaa thanx for clarifying man. At first i thought "S4" meant it starts from 4th gear. So "S4" is the max it can go to if it displays "S4" then i have to do "S5" "S6" "S7" & "S8" manually Ok
ive got 2 questions:

1st:What if i stop the car and start from "S1" will it go all the way to "S8" withouth bouncing the car at the limiter ??

2nd: What if if i stop the car and move the gear to "S8" will it start from "S1" all the way to "S8" ??
Old 09-14-07, 12:13 PM
Nospinzone

Received 407 Likes on 315 Posts

1st:What if i stop the car and start from "S1" will it go all the way to "S8" withouth bouncing the car at the limiter ??

2nd: What if if i stop the car and move the gear to "S8" will it start from "S1" all the way to "S8" ??

Go out and road test it and let us know what you find out. Yours might be different from the US model.
Old 09-14-07, 12:25 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

shouldn't be different otherwise it's defeating the purpose of the sport mode? (curious)

1) if you put the car in 1, it won't shift up, etc... it will just be in 1 and bounce. but in the manual it does say there are "possibilities" the car will up shift if it's really necessary. i don't know what put the car in that situation

2) yes it will move from 1 all the way up to 8. unless the car is cold or in snow mode, it "might" be in 2nd (i read about this on the gs forum)
Old 09-14-07, 01:47 PM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

There's really nothing manual about Lexus's "manual gear box". It's just a different presentation of the good ol' L, 2, 3, etc. labeled on the conventional automatic gearboxes. At least Lexus is sane enough to offer the IS-F with a true manual mode that allows locking onto a certain gear no matter the rev, or so it's rumored so far.
Old 09-14-07, 02:36 PM
uae
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by rominl
1) if you put the car in 1, it won't shift up, etc... it will just be in 1 and bounce. but in the manual it does say there are "possibilities" the car will up shift if it's really necessary. i don't know what put the car in that situation
i tried it 2 dayz ago and it shifted to "S2" then "S3" so that im sure is working fine.

But can you confirm if i start the car with "S8" it will go all the way to "S8" ?