LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Thinking About Letting My LS460 Go

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-07, 04:32 PM
KILLERGS4
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

if you want all the techonogly the LS460 offers, you ought to consider the S550. Granted it cost more, but if this is your last car (or a car you are going to keep a very long time) this is a car with superior performance and style. This is the only car I can consider replacing a LS460 with, I feel the Caddy will be extremely disspointing even with your GM discount (wasn't GM offering empolyee discount to everyone several months back???)

http://www.jdpower.com/articles/article.aspx?ID=253

Home > Articles > 2007 Premium Cars
American households are wealthier than ever before, and premium cars are more popular than ever. In the premium car segments, the Lincoln MKZ, Mercedes-Benz E-Class, Mercedes-Benz S-Class, and Audi A8 are the J.D. Power and Associates 2007 Initial Quality Study (IQS)SM award recipients.

Large Premium segment (tie): 2007 Mercedes-Benz S-Class

Mercedes is the world’s oldest automaker. For much of its 120-year history, the S-Class has been its flagship, showcasing technology, performance, and luxury. Mercedes says the S-Class was the first car with anti-lock brakes (in 1978), with a supplemental restraint system that included air bags (1982), with Electronic Stability technology (vehicle dynamics control, 1996), and with Pre-Safe, a system that automatically prepares vehicle safety features when an accident is imminent (2002). While the various electronic systems may have distinctive technical names such as Distronic, they use advanced sensors, including radar, to warn of dangerous situations, to maintain the distance between your car and the one ahead on the highway, and even to help the driver back into a parallel parking space.

2007 Mercedes-Benz S-Class

Inside, the S-Class offers a full array of luxury amenities, including front seats with 14-way adjustment and inflatable bolsters that can provide a massage or compensate for cornering forces by inflating the side bolsters. Even the rear seats recline, and the longer wheelbase provides limousine-style legroom for those seated in the second row. A push-and-turn “mouse” style controller provides access to audio, climate, seat, and navigation controls. There’s also a 600-watt, 14-speaker Harmon/Kardon Logic7 audio system with 5.1 surround sound. This system plays music from CD or DVD sources and has a memory card slot for easy playback of digitally recorded music. Many of the audio, climate, seat, and navigation functions in the central controller also have redundant switches on the dash. Voice control also can be used for audio, telephone, and navigation systems.

The S-Class literally rides on air with a standard air suspension system instead of steel coil springs. It rides both smoothly and quickly. The S550 has a 382-hp V-8 engine; the S600 is powered by a twin-turbocharged V-12; and the S65 AMG offers more than 600 hp, more than enough to satisfy even hardcore performance enthusiasts.

Mercedes-Benz S-Class Ratings
Mercedes-Benz S-Class Photos

Learn more about the J.D. Power and Associates 2007 Initial Quality Study (IQS)SM award recipients by watching a video, reviewing the quality ratings or choosing a vehicle segment below:
Old 09-04-07, 05:37 PM
rjm
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I support Mallory's decision 100%. With all the problems and disappointments he has had with a $72,000 car, I would be ready to go with Cadillac again too. I'm presently driving an '05 LS430 and love it. I was thinking of buying the LS460 but after the test drives and reading all the problems people were experiencing on ALL the Lexus forums with the LS460 I have decided to wait until I see how the '08's pan out. So far, it seems like there are few significant changes in the new car. Whether or not they have solved the problems in the '07 remains to be seen. Cadillac is looking much better to me too. It now sits ON TOP of J.D. Powers chart so apparently they are now producing some pretty competitive cars. I've owned 2 of them...one was great and one was a lemon (engine replacement at 24,000 miles). But that was years ago so I am ready to try another one. Everyone that I know that drives a new model Caddy loves it. I just hope if Mallory goes for the Cadillac, he will come back to this thread and give us an update and evaluation on the Caddy in a few months. I wish him all the best in making his decision.
Old 09-04-07, 05:52 PM
Mallory H.
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First of all let me start by addressing all those persons who seem to know what I did or did not do. I contacted Lexus Customer Service who advised me to meet with one of their Reps at the dealership,this meeting IMO was very non productive so my next step would be arbitration which I have completed the proper forms but have not mailed them in as I am still undecided as to whether or not I will keep this car. Now I am acting on my exsperience with Lexus and the dealership who I see as both being at fault.
I am not waging a campaign on Lexus by asking all other unhappy LS460 owners to follow my lead and I do not believe that I have posted anything
discouraging others from buying this car. Yes, I am still thinking about a Cadillac DTS and have no desire for a Mercedes,BMW or anything in that catagory not that I can not afford it but after my exsperience I am just not sure any car is worth over $50,000 ,that is my opinion and I am sticking with it. Buyers remorse yes, I am sorry I traded my LS430 for this car I should have stopped while I was a head but once again all those bells and whistles
caught my eye and I just had to have it and to be truthfull I use the Auto Brake Hold when I am Bored, I will use the manual shift just to make sure it works,adaptive lighting is nice but I am a little older now and a good seeing eye dog would work just as well, I will not use the mirror tilt because it is hard enough to keep the mirror in place,the back up camera is nice but you see me backing up get out of my way, the surround sound is nice until you hit turbulance, Oh I'm sorry, IMO and lastly with all the problems I have had with this car why not buy American so if I have a problem with the Cadillac DTS I'll be reminded Cadillac must be in the Pursuit Of Perfection too.
As of today I am still waiting on the new glove box so if the glove box comes in before I make a decision............................. I do not see any promis in arbitrating so I just tore up that paper work so you see I am getting closer to some sort of decision.
Old 09-04-07, 06:54 PM
Big Jimm
Pole Position

It’s good, on forums, when people are honest about bad experiences. Too
often egos prevent this honesty. And many will never admit, publicly, that
they may have made a mistake in buying something.

I don’t know if Mallory made a mistake or not. That’s up to him. But, I
follow various forums a lot. And, LEARN a LOT from them. They would be
totally useless if ALL participants only PRAISED everything! So, I thank
Mallory for telling us his honest experience. Yes, he’s being criticized
some for expressing negatives about his Lexus on a Lexus forum.

The same as expressing negatives on a Vette forum or a MB forum. Hard
core guys try to belittle and insult anyone expressing anything BAD! But,
without these truthful two-sided “bad experiences” the forums would be
useless.

There is a lot of talk about the DTS. My latest was a beautiful ’06 with
package 3. It was a true, quiet, luxury car with great electronics. It looked
drove and rode like a luxury car. I didn’t trade it because I didn’t like it.
Just wanted something “different.” (And my ego wanted to drive a MB
again.) Now I must admit to you that the 08 E-350 isn’t nearly as luxurious
as the DTS was. The DTS was a prestige car and when I trade again in two
years, it will DEFINITELY be back in my consideration.

I believe the E-350 is priced too high compared to other cars its size which
come with much better options.

Big Jimm

Last edited by Big Jimm; 09-06-07 at 05:37 AM.
Old 09-05-07, 07:37 AM
garyr
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mallory, IMO your are "the man". It's people like you/us that make Lexus do what they advertise and pursue perfection.

I don't know what it is with some people hear on this board and why the only answer to a question is "Lexus makes the best cars" What's worse IMO is people chime into a problem that don't even own the car, what's up with that.

If we all don't share and learn from each other experiences how do we get a better car. You can't tell me Lexus isn't monitoring and even replying to posts as fake customers to help damage control. I'm on a lot of other auto and motorcycle boards of products I own. I can get fixes for problems the dealer would NEVER ATTEMPT or manufactures engineers couldn't think of.

It's NOT OK to spend 83-k and have a car with such a rudimentary problem from such a well establish brand that sounds like the windows are always open like on my car. After almost a year in production to insult me further and put a piece of ten cent felt in the window track as a fix instead of redesigning a new window channel is totally unsatisfactory and is not the way you pursue perfection.

Praise them when they do well and slam them were they need improvement I say....very bold of me if I do say so my self.

Priase.....Kick azz power train, well done.
Old 09-05-07, 07:20 PM
Mallory H.
Driver

Default Good By And God Bless

I spent many hours deliberating,researching,reading and evaluating many of your responses to my last post. It was a hard decision but I decided it was in my best interest to let my LS460 go. I am satisfied with the decision that I have made and at this point and time am pleased with the Cadillac DTS replacement to the LS460 and I will leave it at that as I am not out to get Lexus.
It has been my pleasure to have communicated with such a great group of people:burnaby,Craig,Garyr,Indy Jeff,Luxofreak,Vraa,Maurice,Carfan,460Lex,Romin,Robarapta,Big Jimm,Rjm and all of you I will miss you all.
Good Luck And God Bless,
Mallory H.

Last edited by Mallory H.; 09-05-07 at 08:18 PM.
Old 09-05-07, 08:05 PM
Johnny
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Fare thee well Mallory! I wish you and your loved ones the very best life has to offer...

May our paths cross once again.
Old 09-05-07, 08:12 PM
dmvp29
Lead Lap

I am satisfied with the decision that I have made and at this point and time am pleased with the replacement to the LS460 and I will leave it at that as I am not out to get Lexus.
Out of curiosity, what did you end up replacing your LS 460 with?
Old 09-05-07, 08:29 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

He replaced it with a Cadillac DTS.

Hope you enjoy your new car, Mallory, and it all works out for you.
Old 09-05-07, 10:38 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

good luck and god bless, mallory! it's been nice to have you around here too!
Old 09-06-07, 04:35 AM
Saudi
Driver

let lt to go, and then you will know ls460 value
Old 09-06-07, 05:06 AM
Big Jimm
Pole Position

Brother Mallory -

I join all who wish you the very best. And, again, “thank you” for your
honest and candid experiences. For those of us who LOVE cars (maybe
too much) hearing the good - and BAD - is extremely helpful. And, in
many cases, saves us thousands of dollars.

I have posted some unflattering things about MB. All electronics are
outdated and they are overpriced. I believe my E-350 should be priced
about what a comparable Infinity would be. Or, other comparable cars of
that size. They are NOT thousands of dollars better than comparables.

But, as with YOU, I’m not out to “get” MB. I just feel a stronger devotion to
my fellow posters than I do to huge corporations. So, like my “real” brother:
if I like something, I tell him. If I don’t, I tell him that, too.

You will love the new DTS. You won’t feel that you have “stepped down.”
And, if you haven’t been to a Cadillac dealership lately, you will find that
your VIP treatment there will be every bit as good - or better - than Lexus
or MB.

But, who knows? Maybe you’ll be back to Lexus in a year or two. As maybe
I will be, too! Us car nuts are always prospects, aren’t we?

Warm regards,

Big Jimm

Last edited by Big Jimm; 09-06-07 at 04:07 PM.
Old 09-06-07, 01:04 PM
Ultrasonic
Rookie

Good luck with your new Cadillac. Drive it in good health.
Old 09-06-07, 01:46 PM
garyr
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mallory......lifes is all about enjoying the ride. Enjoy it man, what ever you ride in
Old 09-06-07, 01:54 PM
Craig B

Received 53 Likes on 37 Posts

Good luck Mallory! Don't be a stranger...

Regards,

Craig

Quick Reply: Thinking About Letting My LS460 Go