LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

New 2007 LS 460- vibration question

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-07, 05:13 PM
twentworth
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New 2007 LS 460- vibration question

I bought a new LS 460 yesterday. At around 70 or so MPH, I start to notice some mild vibration that shakes the steering wheel, shifter, and passenger seat. The passenger seat vibrates noticeably at highway speeds,.

Everything I've read says the LS 460 is supposed to be vibration-free. Is it normal to feel mild vibration at highway speeds or is there something else going on I need to have the dealer investigate?
Old 08-19-07, 05:44 PM
Craig B

Received 53 Likes on 37 Posts

I don't have any vibration. Have the dealer check tire balance on all four tires.
You might even have a bad tire, or out of balance...

Craig
Old 08-19-07, 05:53 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Welcome to ClubLexus, twentworth. Congrats on your new LS 460.

And yes, I would agree with Craig B to have the dealer check the tires. Steering wheel vibration, cabin vibration is not normal for the LS. Hopefully it is something that some dealer adjustments can correct.
Old 08-19-07, 06:49 PM
twentworth
Driver School Candidate

Thanks, I'll give the dealer a call tomorrow.
Old 08-31-07, 03:18 PM
twentworth
Driver School Candidate

So, the dealer inititally claimed that there were two tires that caused the vibration problem. Those tires were replaced and for a couple hundred miles, the problem seemed to have gone away.

Well, it came back and there is again noticable vibration in the cabin. The service manager drove the car and validated the issue. This time they want to order 4 new tires and claim this will fix the problem. At this point I'm skeptical.

Has anyone heard of an issue like this?
What should I do if the probem doesn't go away or comes back in a few weeks?

I had hoped buying a Lexus would keep me out of the dealer...

-Tom
Old 08-31-07, 04:15 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

well seems like you are the first case i have heard of that. who knows if it's an independent case. maybe have another good shop to test the balance on the wheels?
Old 08-31-07, 04:29 PM
Craig B

Ask for Michelin's. My car has Dunlop tires and wish I had Michelin's. What brand tires are on your car?

Craig
Old 08-31-07, 08:56 PM
twentworth
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Craig B
Ask for Michelin's. My car has Dunlop tires and wish I had Michelin's. What brand tires are on your car?

Craig
They will be putting on 4 Michelin's. I really hope this fixes the problem once and for all!
Old 08-31-07, 09:13 PM
Nospinzone

Received 407 Likes on 315 Posts

That almost certainly is a problem with improperly balanced tires. It won't matter if they put Michelin or Pirelli's on the car if they don't properly balance them. If you still have vibration after the Michelin's are put on, take it to an independent tire dealer who uses a Hunter Road Force balancing and vibration equpment and have them balance the tires.
Old 09-01-07, 04:28 AM
luxury1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have this problem also but didn't have it when I originally bought the car. It only started happening after my winter tires were taken off and my all seasons were put back on which almost definitely means balance. I just haven't had time to bring it back for service.
Old 09-01-07, 06:51 AM
nobuddy
Rookie

Originally Posted by twentworth
So, the dealer inititally claimed that there were two tires that caused the vibration problem. Those tires were replaced and for a couple hundred miles, the problem seemed to have gone away.

Well, it came back and there is again noticable vibration in the cabin. The service manager drove the car and validated the issue. This time they want to order 4 new tires and claim this will fix the problem. At this point I'm skeptical.

Has anyone heard of an issue like this?
What should I do if the probem doesn't go away or comes back in a few weeks?

I had hoped buying a Lexus would keep me out of the dealer...

-Tom
If the problem doesn't go away after putting on 4 new tires, you should ask them to give you 4 new wheels as well. You could have a slightly out of round wheel, or a bent rim.

If 4 new wheels and tires don't work, they need to start checking wheel bearings and suspension components.

It's a drag that your new Lex has been to the shop so often

nb
Old 09-01-07, 08:00 AM
Craig B

The road force will let you know if you have bad wheels/ or tires... That's the only machine I use to have my wheels balanced on both cars...

Craig
Old 09-06-07, 07:42 PM
andrzejj
Driver School Candidate

Default ls460 vibrations

I have purchased my LS460 (2oo7) at the end of July. Immediately I have noticed vibrations at or above 70 mph. Steering wheel, passenger's seatback, etc. I have been driving two ls430 over 6 years, and I could tell the (unpleasant) difference immediately. Srvice people pretended they never heard of this. They replaced one tire ("flat spot"), balanced all four on Road Force machine - nothing has improved. Now they are replacing all for tires, from Dunlop Sport Maxx to Bridgestone Turanza EL42. I do not think this is a good replacement. Asked them to put Bridgestone Serenity. I do not care about high performance, I just care about a soft and quiet ride. Will see. Any suggestion for the brand?
Old 09-06-07, 07:53 PM
Nospinzone

Received 407 Likes on 315 Posts

If they balanced all 4 tires with Road Force equipment, I suspect its something other than the tires and wheels. Have them check the whole driveshaft assembly.

As to the service people not hearing of this, its probably true. You and Twentworth are the only two I've heard have this problem.
Old 09-06-07, 11:13 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by Nospinzone
If they balanced all 4 tires with Road Force equipment, I suspect its something other than the tires and wheels. Have them check the whole driveshaft assembly.

As to the service people not hearing of this, its probably true. You and Twentworth are the only two I've heard have this problem.
agree, i haven't heard of this problem as common as say the wind noise

hope they can fix your problem soon

Quick Reply: New 2007 LS 460- vibration question