LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Test drive

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-07, 05:34 PM
Twstrchasr
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Test drive

Drove a LS460L this week. One word came to mind immediately after driving it....Synthetic. Not terribly impressed. I will say that I did like the stereo. Very nice. Everything about the car seemed very clinical, somewhat sterile in nature. I doubt if I am the target demographic for this car, but I wanted to give it a try. I can't imagine picking the LS after cross shopping with a BMW7, MB S, Audi A8, or a Jag XJ. Hell, I doubt I'd pick the LS over a VW Phaeton for that matter (except of course for the reliability issue) ! Not for me ..I will give the LX570 a try when it comes out, but the photos I have seen of it look quite questionable... Oh well, "To each his own !"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
1989 FJ-62
2001 UZJ-100
2003 Mercedes Benz CL55 AMG
2004 Mercedes Benz S600
1991 Range Rover

Last edited by Twstrchasr; 08-18-07 at 05:43 PM. Reason: Because I can
Old 08-18-07, 06:09 PM
Nospinzone

Received 406 Likes on 314 Posts

I can't imagine picking the LS after cross shopping with a BMW7, MB S, Audi A8, or a Jag XJ.

Funny, I got the exact opposite opinion. I shopped the 750i, S550, CLS550, XJ and XKR. With the exception of the XKR, which I really liked but was an entirely different automobile, only the S550 came close. The problem with the S550 was its rock bottom reliability rating and 25K higher price. I loved the styling and the handling though.

True story, a good friend bought his S550 the very same day I bought my LS460. A few days later we both showed up at a gathering of friends, everybody (including him) swarmed all over the LS460 and literally no one even sat in the S550.

But you're right, to each his own. Enjoy whatever you end up buying.

Last edited by Nospinzone; 08-18-07 at 06:12 PM.
Old 08-18-07, 08:55 PM
Rocman
Pole Position

What drives you to come to a Lexus site, and on your very first post you talk down on the car? Maybe I should go on every car site that caters to all the cars that I have looked away from all these years and talk smack.

Obviously you are here trying to stir things up. I just dont know why people dont have better things to do with their time.

BTW, the LS is OK to me. It is definately not my favorite car, or anywhere near the top, but it has all the features I want, without all the negatives that come with the Germans.
Old 08-18-07, 09:50 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,103 Likes on 1,365 Posts

The Lexus is still too much of a 'left brain' car. Too sensible.
Old 08-18-07, 11:29 PM
350Dave
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, even when they are WRONG!!!
Old 08-19-07, 01:17 AM
dmvp29
Lead Lap

Ok, honestly. The topic creator does not own a Lexus, and my intuition tells me he'll test drive the LX 570 only to come back disappointed once again.

Alright, that's wonderful, but let's be real here - what is your point? Surely you don't expect people to give you reasons why you're "wrong", because as you said, it's all a matter of one's preference in the end.

What I'm wondering is - what compelled you to come to a Lexus LS owners club merely to post how you're disappointed with your test drive when you don't even own one?

I mean, after going through a few Mercedes vehicles and being thoroughly disappointed, should I go to a Mercedes Benz forum explaining how I think Mercedes Benz vehicles are shoddily engineered? No, because that would be pretty tactless in my opinion.
Old 08-19-07, 09:14 AM
Twstrchasr
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Rocman
What drives you to come to a Lexus site, and on your very first post you talk down on the car? Maybe I should go on every car site that caters to all the cars that I have looked away from all these years and talk smack.

Obviously you are here trying to stir things up. I just dont know why people dont have better things to do with their time.

BTW, the LS is OK to me. It is definately not my favorite car, or anywhere near the top, but it has all the features I want, without all the negatives that come with the Germans.

Because I can...Fair and balanced !! But see, if I had , on my very first post gave a gleaming, wonderful review everyone here would have welcomed me with open arms !! All I did was to express my opinion after driving the car. Hey, I did like the sound system !!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

1989 FJ-62
2001 UZJ-100
2003 Mercedes Benz CL55 AMG
2004 Mercedes Benz S600
1991 Range Rover

Last edited by Twstrchasr; 08-19-07 at 09:20 AM. Reason: YES
Old 08-19-07, 10:23 AM
Atlas
Rookie

Hey, what type of logic would you expect from a person who buys the worlds fastest..........depreciating car, a Mercedes AMG!
Old 08-19-07, 11:05 AM
Twstrchasr
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Atlas
Hey, what type of logic would you expect from a person who buys the worlds fastest..........depreciating car, a Mercedes AMG!
See, you don't agree with what I said, so now you are attacking me personally..Also, perhaps I bought the AMG at 2yrs old and CPO. Thus I avoided the initial depreciation and got a $130,000 car at a cheaper (read---lexus) price. That's not just logic, it is simple mathematics and intelligence.
Old 08-19-07, 11:38 AM
Atlas
Rookie

Originally Posted by Twstrchasr
See, you don't agree with what I said, so now you are attacking me personally..Also, perhaps I bought the AMG at 2yrs old and CPO. Thus I avoided the initial depreciation and got a $130,000 car at a cheaper (read---lexus) price. That's not just logic, it is simple mathematics and intelligence.
Yeah, that's some great math and intelligence! Woohoo, you didn't take depreciation the first two years since you didn't own the car, but the problem with AMG cars is, the longer you own them and the older they get, the depreciation just keeps getting worse! This is due to the fact that the standard MB non-AMG models increase their HP, handling, and eveything else that comes along with a new model. Heck, they don't even make your car any more! The new CL has a completely new body style, big increase in HP. new electronics,etc., etc. pretty much rendering your car a relic. Yes, your simple math and intelligence led you to buy a used AMG a couple of years before MB introduced a new CL model that renders yours obsolete, nice....No need to reply, I am done.
Old 08-19-07, 12:14 PM
Twstrchasr
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Atlas
Yeah, that's some great math and intelligence! Woohoo, you didn't take depreciation the first two years since you didn't own the car, but the problem with AMG cars is, the longer you own them and the older they get, the depreciation just keeps getting worse! This is due to the fact that the standard MB non-AMG models increase their HP, handling, and eveything else that comes along with a new model. Heck, they don't even make your car any more! The new CL has a completely new body style, big increase in HP. new electronics,etc., etc. pretty much rendering your car a relic. Yes, your simple math and intelligence led you to buy a used AMG a couple of years before MB introduced a new CL model that renders yours obsolete, nice....No need to reply, I am done.

"It is better to keep your mouth shut and let people wonder if you are a fool, than to open your mouth and erase all doubt." -- Mark Twain

Last edited by Twstrchasr; 08-19-07 at 12:22 PM. Reason: Less is more
Old 08-19-07, 01:05 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

i dont think twstrchasr expected to get a warm welcome after that first post. lol first impressions are very important. However, I do think it is weird that since you dont own a lexus, you joined the site just to express one test drive and perhaps a future test drive of a car that doesnt seem to really be the type of car your looking for.

as for lexus in general, there will always be people like him who just dont get why buying a lexus is the smarter choice. They still see that three pointed star before anything else. theres no use arguing with him, since almost all reputable reviewers love lexus interiors that he is calling sterile. funny part is that lexus is famous for their ergonomic and simple to navigate center stacks and seem to dislike lexus' perfomance figures, figures that you dont mention in your 3 sentence review. lol
Old 08-19-07, 02:15 PM
Twstrchasr
Driver School Candidate

Old 08-19-07, 02:25 PM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

There is no reason to personally attack anyone. Everyone is entitled to their opinion.

To the original poster, your post does not seem to be informative in nature, nor helpful. If your intended to come to the LS forum to tell us how bad of an experiance it was, BECAUSE you can, then your job is done.

I think this thread has played its course.