LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

SMALLER wheels possible?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-07, 01:09 PM
thrang
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SMALLER wheels possible?

Ok, I'm not a car nut, so this may sound silly - but I have a 07 LS 460SWB with the standard 18" wheels.

Putting aside the caustic comments about how fugly it would look, is it possible to put 17" wheels on my car, and is it a worthy consideration in the context of gaining a better ride (knowing that the bigger the tire, the harsher the ride).

(My gut feeling is the LS has a rather schizophrenic ride, at times seeming smooth, loose, and rigid all at the same time. While I'm having the suspension checked now, what little I do know about wheel sizes/ride feel has generated this question).

If so, any recommendations?
Old 08-14-07, 01:55 PM
Luxofreak
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I don't think those calipers would fit behind 17" wheels...
Old 08-14-07, 02:38 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

the front rotors are 13.14", you should be able to fit 17s as long as it's high disk wheels (unless the calipers are exceptionally large. for most bbk, 13.5" setup will fit right under 17s

for touring package on the lwb you need to use 18s for sure
Old 08-14-07, 02:43 PM
thrang
Rookie

Originally Posted by rominl
the front rotors are 13.14", you should be able to fit 17s as long as it's high disk wheels (unless the calipers are exceptionally large. for most bbk, 13.5" setup will fit right under 17s

for touring package on the lwb you need to use 18s for sure
I wish to God I knew what the hell you just said, because it sure seems promising....
Old 08-14-07, 02:55 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

lol, ok, let me try to explain a bit more. let's think of it from 2 locations. 1) when you look at he wheel from the side of the car, and 2) if you look at the wheel from the top of the car

consider 1:
you see the rotor, the caliper, and then the wheel. obviously, the larger the rotor (diameter), the more "outside" the caliper has to be, and thus the larger the diameter of the wheel has to be in order to fit everything inside the wheel. in the bbk (big brakes kit) world, if rotor size is 13.5", for example ap racing, then plus the size of calipers, it will fit RIGHT under 17" wheels, diameter wise.

now if it's 14" rotor, like newer ap racing, brembo, stoptech, you will need at least 18" wheel to fit over the setup. 17" and you will hit the caliper.

consider 2:
there is a "thickness" for the calipers, and then the wheel comes "covering" everything. now if the caliper is small, you are fine coz' the spokes of the wheel can easily clear the caliper. however, if the caliper are big, the spokes of the wheel will have to curve "out" in order to avoid hitting the caliper. the ls460 has big calipers.

the design of wheels (at least in aftermarket world) where spokes curve out to clear caliper, they are called "high disk" wheels.

so now back to my post, basically i am saying from the info i get from lexus.com, the front rotors are 13.41". unless the caliper is abnormally large, 17" should fit over them diameter wise.

but NOT all 17" will fit even if they are ok in terms of diameter. you need one where spokes curve out enough to clear big caliper, thus "high disks"

ok, confusing enough?
Old 08-14-07, 02:56 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

oh and btw, in the case of touring package (i know it doesn't concern you), the front rotors are 14", so you need 18s for the reasons i explained above
Old 08-14-07, 03:21 PM
Horta
Lead Lap

Hey I have been wondering the same thing. Can a LS460 acept smaller wheel. I am not for the big wheel craze at all. I love my stock 16" or 17" that my LS has. I was thinking if I ever got a 460 I would put smaller wheel to get a smoother ride. Please keep us posted. Just know your not crazy for thinking about it.

Jerry
Old 08-15-07, 12:33 PM
thrang
Rookie

Originally Posted by rominl
lol, ok, let me try to explain a bit more. let's think of it from 2 locations. 1) when you look at he wheel from the side of the car, and 2) if you look at the wheel from the top of the car

consider 1:
you see the rotor, the caliper, and then the wheel. obviously, the larger the rotor (diameter), the more "outside" the caliper has to be, and thus the larger the diameter of the wheel has to be in order to fit everything inside the wheel. in the bbk (big brakes kit) world, if rotor size is 13.5", for example ap racing, then plus the size of calipers, it will fit RIGHT under 17" wheels, diameter wise.

now if it's 14" rotor, like newer ap racing, brembo, stoptech, you will need at least 18" wheel to fit over the setup. 17" and you will hit the caliper.

consider 2:
there is a "thickness" for the calipers, and then the wheel comes "covering" everything. now if the caliper is small, you are fine coz' the spokes of the wheel can easily clear the caliper. however, if the caliper are big, the spokes of the wheel will have to curve "out" in order to avoid hitting the caliper. the ls460 has big calipers.

the design of wheels (at least in aftermarket world) where spokes curve out to clear caliper, they are called "high disk" wheels.

so now back to my post, basically i am saying from the info i get from lexus.com, the front rotors are 13.41". unless the caliper is abnormally large, 17" should fit over them diameter wise.

but NOT all 17" will fit even if they are ok in terms of diameter. you need one where spokes curve out enough to clear big caliper, thus "high disks"

ok, confusing enough?
Thanks for the detailed response - I suppose this means I can't just order something from TireRack, since there is a fit question regarding the caliper size...have to bring this info to someone locally it would seem.
Old 08-16-07, 12:06 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by thrang
Thanks for the detailed response - I suppose this means I can't just order something from TireRack, since there is a fit question regarding the caliper size...have to bring this info to someone locally it would seem.
we have a rep here on clublexus from tirerack, maybe you can talk to him about fitment? they should know
Old 01-06-16, 08:10 AM
v8mac
Driver School Candidate

Default Can 17" rims fit 2012 LS460 RWD/SWB?

Sorry to revive an old thread, but was anyone able to fit 17" rims onto their LS460?

I know most folks want to upsize to 20" or 22", but I want to go the other way.
If 17's don't fit (16's out of the question), I would go down to 18" OEM.

Just wondering what experience forum members have had with this.
Old 01-06-16, 10:48 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

I doubt even if they would fit you'd be able to find 17s that would fit the 460's bolt pattern.

I would go to OEM 18s. I noticed a not so subtle difference between the 18s and 19s when I was shopping for mine, and I specifically wanted the 18s. If I were you on your car, I would get the 18" Telios wheels:

If you can find a set. The 18s on my 2015 aren't bad either, they would fit your 2012:

Old 01-07-16, 08:29 AM
v8mac
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the reply, SW15LS.

Those stockers do look smart!
I think I'm also one of the few who doesn't fancy chrome rims. Sorry.

I'd look into OEM 18's, but I don't think they are cheap at the stealerships.
Perhaps I could poll users here who may have upsized to 20+...?
Old 01-07-16, 08:54 AM
sdwtchlvr
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

You're probably better off just putting a thicker tire on, maybe 235/55 or something. But you'll probably lose some handling and you might even feel a little more clumsy due to heavier tire.
Old 01-07-16, 09:01 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by thrang
I wish to God I knew what the hell you just said, because it sure seems promising....
Funniest post I've seen in a long time. LOL.

Last edited by roadfrog; 01-07-16 at 03:10 PM.
Old 01-07-16, 10:50 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

Originally Posted by v8mac
Thanks for the reply, SW15LS.

Those stockers do look smart!
I think I'm also one of the few who doesn't fancy chrome rims. Sorry.

I'd look into OEM 18's, but I don't think they are cheap at the stealerships.
Perhaps I could poll users here who may have upsized to 20+...?
They're not really chrome, you have to see them in person. They're polished, but not chrome. I don't care for chrome wheels either.

OEM take offs are all over eBay, and there are a bunch of companies who sell them, you should be able To buy a set of stock 18s for about $350 each.

Quick Reply: SMALLER wheels possible?