LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Lexus, Look Here! My FREE Suggestion for better Navigation Control while in motion

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-07, 07:38 PM
thrang
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lexus, Look Here! My FREE Suggestion for better Navigation Control while in motion

Ok, this is not perfect, but I think it would help greatly.

1) Add a "Favorite POI" menu screen, available while driving, that mimics the current Speed Dial screen. Three tabs, 18 buttons total. Each button could be preset with your most common POI needs, and pressing the button would give you a list of the 10 or so nearest matches w/ distance (either in your radius or ahead in your direction of travel). Press the one you want, and off you go.

The existing POI button could serve dual purpose. While stopped, you would have the option for "Search POI by Name," "Search POI by Category," and the new "Favorite POI" option. While in motion, pressing the POI button brings you directly to the three-tabbed preset screen only. This would be nearly identical to the Speed Dial access currently "allowed" by the Mothership while you are driving. And while it's not the ideal answer, I can certainly cover a lot of my and my families spur-of-the-moment needs this way (i.e., presets for Dunkin Donuts, McDonalds, Mobile, Convenience Store, Drug Stores, Shopping Malls, ATMs, etc. Gee, now you know my bad habits...)

The key is not just showing the nearest POI, as the voice command currently allows, but presenting a simple scroll list limited to 10 or 15 of the nearest - minimal screen touching, but far greater flexibility.

DEST > POI > TAB 1/2/3 > POI PRESET > POI FROM LIST

This is four to six presses depending upon which tab and if you need to scroll.

The Speed Dial access is probably three to five presses - nearly identical

I think this would be a decent compromise. While I'd certainly like complete and unfettered access, direct address entry is something I typically do before leaving for my destination. The frustration I have on the road now is finding a common need (examples above), without having to pull over and keying the search in.

2) Add voice command for POI search by telephone number while in motion

3) Add the "Show list" feature for the POI voice command, to show a list of additional POIs that match, not just the nearest. (it's sort of there, and Mrs. Mothership will even tease you the option to select a list, but if you bite, you get the warning that its not available - there's even a button, but grayed out. Seems like the feature was there until the last minute and was cut)

In the future, perhaps Lexus could at least add a passenger seat weight sensor, combined with steering wheel sensor to assure two hands where on the wheel, and then allow full keyboard access while driving. (I admit this is inelegant)

Thoughts?
Old 08-11-07, 04:32 PM
Atlas
Rookie

The issue with the NAVI is that Toyota/Lexus is afraid of the American legal system. They are afraid someone driving their car and playing with the NAVI will have a tragic accident and they will get sued. Can you blame them? In America, spill hot coffee on yourself and sue the restaurant, etc....
Old 08-11-07, 05:11 PM
thrang
Rookie

Originally Posted by Atlas
The issue with the NAVI is that Toyota/Lexus is afraid of the American legal system. They are afraid someone driving their car and playing with the NAVI will have a tragic accident and they will get sued. Can you blame them? In America, spill hot coffee on yourself and sue the restaurant, etc....
BMW, Mercedes, Acura, and most every other portable GPS manufacturer is not so fearful. And my suggestions, (especially the three-tabbed Favorite POI screen), require about the same number of "button presses" while in motion as Lexus currently allows with their speed dial system. It doesn't matter if it's Nav or Phone, they're fearful of a driver spending too much time focused on the screen - if you allow the speed dial, you could allow a simple button/scroll "Favorite POI" concept.

Last edited by thrang; 08-14-07 at 07:52 AM.
Old 08-11-07, 05:56 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I think it's a good idea to have a POI screen that mimics the speed dial one. Simple, efficient, one-touch accessibility. Easy to use and minimal distraction. I wonder if there are any other screens that could be done the speed dial way.

Good idea thrang! I really would like the ability to change destinations in motion more easily than using voice commands.
Old 08-11-07, 07:21 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

My Ford navi (Pioneer developed) has 'QUICK POI' (favorite categories) which is available while driving the car. I can also set the destination from a bunch of 'favorite' destinations or even any entry in the address book while driving.
Old 08-11-07, 09:27 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Right now if it's the same as in the LS 430 there are about six pre-programmable 1-touch destinations that can be set while driving, now that I think about it.
Old 08-12-07, 03:54 PM
jettie1767
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The volume screen hack doesn't work on the LS460?
Old 08-12-07, 05:37 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Yeah the volume screen trick doesn't work on the new LS models.
Old 08-13-07, 12:36 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by jettie1767
The volume screen hack doesn't work on the LS460?
yup, this is new generation nav
Old 08-14-07, 07:51 AM
thrang
Rookie

Originally Posted by enigma888
Right now if it's the same as in the LS 430 there are about six pre-programmable 1-touch destinations that can be set while driving, now that I think about it.
Right, but as we're all painfully aware, it's the "I need to stop at..." scenario that pops up while driving that having the Quick Access POI screens would really be helpful.

Trying to think of the best way to get this idea in front of the right Lexus engineers...
Old 08-14-07, 12:31 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Yes there is room for improvement and I think your suggestion is in the right direction...maybe the engineers are listening.

BTW, the 2009 RX thread has some industry 'insider' information which says a new interface is coming with the next RX.